Imprint

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Imprint

#576 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:06 pm

They've added standard editions of The Straight Story and Dersu Uzala

yoloswegmaster

#577 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:53 pm

The Digital Bits is saying that two of the boxsets are director sets for Walter Hill and Sidney J. Furie, while the other consists of films that star Gene Hackman.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#578 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:59 pm

Yep

Image Image Image

M Sanderson

#579 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 am

great to see this as many had decided that the Hill set had been cancelled. however, I find it difficult to believe that every title in the set is restored from a new 4k master. is this some kind of mistake, a copy and paste job, from Imprint?

also I'm curious, are all previous releases of Johnny Handsome poor - not only the US release but also the Koch Media from Germany?

tantalised by that Furie set as I've seen none of them but am massively impressed by The Entity, one of the most substantial ghost stories, in terms of genre scares and subtextual trauma, I've ever come across. Which makes me want to see such earlier films as are included in this set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#580 Post by swo17 » Fri May 19, 2023 12:01 am

Going all in on actor sets:

Jennifer Connelly Collection (Career Opportunities, Waking the Dead, House of Sand and Fog)
Jessica Lange Collection (Frances, Crimes of the Heart, Music Box, Losing Isaiah)
Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle
Blue Car
Searching for Bobby Fischer

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#581 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 19, 2023 4:36 pm

House of Sand and Fog is great (and I have no idea how Connelly didn’t get an Oscar nom for her work after winning for such a nothing role years prior), but not buy a $100 box set solely for it great. Hopefully it materializes elsewhere after this like a lot of titles in Imprint’s boxes…

tolbs1010

#582 Post by tolbs1010 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:47 pm

Seconded. Strange that it hasn't received a HD release in the States given the Oscar nods and general praise it received on release. Remarkably-assured direction by Vadim Perelman considering this was his first feature. The leads are all outstanding, with the possible exception of Ron Eldard whose performance isn't quite up to the level of the others. Feels like he was a 3rd or 4th choice for the role, or a budget-conscious choice.

beamish14

#583 Post by beamish14 » Fri May 19, 2023 8:39 pm

Interesting how Imprint got a new commentary with Career Opportunities director Bryan Gordon; Kino Lorber said that he declined to have any involvement with their release

therewillbeblus

#584 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 19, 2023 8:54 pm

This label gets away without region locking, and getting a commentary to stick on a David Lynch film. Really curious to know the behind-the-scenes connex

yoloswegmaster

#585 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri May 19, 2023 9:01 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't need the involvement and approval of David Lynch for their release of The Straight Story and wisely chose to not notify him about it. I also feel like they can get away with no region-locking since I doubt the major studios really care about whatever happens in the land down under.

therewillbeblus

#586 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 19, 2023 9:24 pm

Sure, or, Illuminati

Maltic

#587 Post by Maltic » Sat May 20, 2023 9:25 am

M Sanderson wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 am
great to see this as many had decided that the Hill set had been cancelled. however, I find it difficult to believe that every title in the set is restored from a new 4k master. is this some kind of mistake, a copy and paste job, from Imprint?

I'm curious about this as well.

On the Imprint site, the specs for all the films say "from a restored 4K master."

The not-particularly-impressive 2017 Kino bluray of The Long Riders said "from a brand new 4k master". Given Imprint's history of only putting out already existing stuff, as it were, I assume we're dealing with the same master for this box set, but who knows.

M Sanderson

#588 Post by M Sanderson » Sat May 20, 2023 9:44 am

Maltic wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:25 am
M Sanderson wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 am

I'm curious about this as well.

On the Imprint site, the specs for all the films say "from a restored 4K master."

The not-particularly-impressive 2017 Kino bluray of The Long Riders said "from a brand new 4k master". Given Imprint's history of only putting out already existing stuff, as it were, I assume we're dealing with the same master for this box set, but who knows.
I'm kind of against buying the set as I already have The Driver in 4k, a title that will drive the cost of the set way up. There's only a few that I want - in particular Johnny Handsome - and I think it's unlikely that the titles included in the Imprint set will be better in terms of PQ than anywhere else. Unless someone has some decisive information. In my experience, Imprint are more likely than any other label to release films that I want, but are less likely to be including fresh scans and tight encodes.

Regarding Long Riders, wasn't the Kino from a fresh scan that was incorrectly colour graded? Perhaps thankfully Long Riders has never been one of my favourites.

dustybooks

#589 Post by dustybooks » Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm

House of Sand and Fog has been one of my most wanted titles for years so I share the frustration expressed above, but I may actually plunge, because I do really love Keith Gordon’s first two features as director and I’m somewhat curious to see Waking the Dead even though I’ve heard bad things. I enjoy hearing what he has to say and Imprint has a new commentary from him. Still, that’s a steep price so I’ll have to think about it…

beamish14

#590 Post by beamish14 » Sat May 20, 2023 7:00 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm
House of Sand and Fog has been one of my most wanted titles for years so I share the frustration expressed above, but I may actually plunge, because I do really love Keith Gordon’s first two features as director and I’m somewhat curious to see Waking the Dead even though I’ve heard bad things. I enjoy hearing what he has to say and Imprint has a new commentary from him. Still, that’s a steep price so I’ll have to think about it…

Gordon’s commentary is from 2000, but the on-camera interview with him is new. Really underrated film that was probably a bit too esoteric and bereft of easy answers to have become a financial success.

dustybooks

#591 Post by dustybooks » Sat May 20, 2023 8:18 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:00 pm
Gordon’s commentary is from 2000, but the on-camera interview with him is new. Really underrated film that was probably a bit too esoteric and bereft of easy answers to have become a financial success.
Oops, misread that, but that’s good info, thank you!

John Cope

#592 Post by John Cope » Sun May 21, 2023 3:56 am

Waking the Dead is lovely, melancholy and haunting while always managing those qualities with great grace and finesse. And that's typical of Keith Gordon as a filmmaker I think. I really wish he'd return to features. What's especially impressive and amazing here is how well it works despite how schematic, even simplistic, it seems to be. Gordon makes that vital in fact. The film is really, quite radically, about taking the sentiment of its central subject seriously, as a force to be reckoned with. Both leads are tremendous in this effort. Connelly gets some extremely sublime moments with which to define her character but Crudup's task is harder as he has to pull off several gut wrenching emotional scenes and he fully does, making them all too palpable in their awfulness and utterly communicative and convincing as well.

The deep feeling itself is always positioned as crucial. This is not a movie (or a filmmaker) that shies away from the implications of that or attempts to provide distance through qualifications. The ultimate point is that it's in this very openness, a sustained kind of necessary naivete, that any potential for growth, comprehension or development even exists. And in that sense Crudup's character idealizes Connelly's. The entire ethical structure, the possibility for one, lies there as does the more obvious spiritual aspect--though not in an obvious way. In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is just about the only movie I've ever seen, religious or not, that treats the notion of transubstantiation. It struggles with an idea of vital life force and love as elements located somewhere between the literal and purely figurative, enduring but transformative. This movie didn't get any credit for that but who could have anticipated such an accomplishment from such a picture (though Gordon's Mother Night adaptation should have given us all good reason to expect he was capable).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#593 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:55 pm

Imprint is splitting out its Essential Noir 4 set (which isn't even sold out yet) into four separate standalone releases. It's actually $40 AUD cheaper to buy all the individual films than it is to buy the box (and I believe that cardboard box encasing them is all you'd be missing out on)

colinr0380

#594 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:00 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm
No love for Career Opportunities?

jazzo

#595 Post by jazzo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:21 am

Big ViaVision (including Imprint) sale going on right now, with coupon code found here:

https://viavision.com.au/end-of-financi ... f8af27a9ee

Some Imprint titles don’t require a coupon code at all, and are 50% off. The catch, however, seems to be, once out of stock, they aren’t back-orderable. The sale’s only been live for about four hours, and already gone are The Warriors, On The Beach, and Zhang Yimou/Gong Li sets.

Still worth checking out, and the coupons cover other labels (including TV sets like the complete Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Hour sets).

L.A.

#596 Post by L.A. » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:00 pm

JB Hi-Fi also has 20% off from movies (ends July 2nd), including Imprint titles. Ordered The Catman of Paris (1946) and Uptight (1968).

jazzo

#597 Post by jazzo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:28 pm

Not a bad sale, but it's not as easy as it once was for anywhere else in the world but Australia to place an order. You go through the whole process, but then get error messages that your cell phone isn't valid, or that the one or more items in your cart can't be shipped to your address, even though its clearly an viable option. It got too frustrating, and I just canned it. I don't need Marooned that bad.

therewillbeblus

#598 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:35 pm

jazzo wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:28 pm
Not a bad sale, but it's not as easy as it once was for anywhere else in the world but Australia to place an order. You go through the whole process, but then get error messages that your cell phone isn't valid, or that the one or more items in your cart can't be shipped to your address, even though its clearly an viable option. It got too frustrating, and I just canned it. I don't need Marooned that bad.
Yeah, I've always been able to make it work after a bunch of tries, adding and deleting and adding titles again until the cherries line up. But it's really annoying and time-consuming, especially when you're buying more than a few and the error message tells you different ones aren't eligible for international shipping at random each time you check out, as others suddenly become permitted

JB Hi-Fi's customer service also isn't terrific. The last time I had a disc come scratched and unplayable, they would only reimburse me through an international wire transfer that cost me more than the item to receive

Adam X

#599 Post by Adam X » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:34 pm

It seems only fair that those ordering stuff from Australia have experiences that parallel what it’s often like to import stuff into Australia.

jazzo

#600 Post by jazzo » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:51 pm

I'm still waiting on the shrimps for my barbie from 1986!