The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
acidgoat

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

#376 Post by acidgoat » Sun May 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Gregg Araki! I would love to see a Criterion Blu-ray of Mysterious Skin in the near future.

Lowry_Sam

#377 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri May 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Just as I was going to make a snarky post about Criterion Channel dredging up the bottom of the Queer Film Festival barrel for Pride month (Watermelon Woman, Totally F**d Up, But I'm A Cheerleader...), others come in to support those choices. Fortunately Kanopy has many better options (Presque Rien/Come Undone, Tongues Untied...) while also carrying those few titles too. Surely Criterion can do a better job on that front as they have certainly devoted energy into increasing visibility of female directors over past year.

knives

#378 Post by knives » Sat May 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Those Crit films are good though.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#379 Post by ando » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Criterion Lifts Paywall on Black Films

Technically, wasn't Paul Roberson black? Apparently, his material is exempt. :)

swo17

#380 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:41 pm

Is To Sleep with Anger not available on the channel? That's the first thing I would think to recommend to people.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#381 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:56 pm

IIRC it was available at launch (and was one of the pre-launch titles made available to early subscribers) but was only up for a month or two.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#382 Post by Shrew » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:28 pm

It's only the films that the rightsholders will allow them to screen for free, hence the limited Robeson available. I believe it's just the films being highlighted in the banner on the Now Playing page.

The Watermelon Woman (Cheryl Dunye)
My Brother’s Wedding (Charles Burnett)
Black Mother (Khalik Allah)
Portrait of Jason (Shirley Clarke)
Down in the Delta (Maya Angelou)
Daughters of the Dust (Julie Dash)
Suzanne, Suzanne (Camille Phillips, James Hatch)
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm (William Greaves)
Losing Ground (Kathleen Collins)
Scar of Shame (Frank Perugni)
Body and Soul (Oscar Micheaux)
Shakedown (Leilah Weinraub)
Cane River (Horace Jenkins)
And When I Die, I Won’t Stay Dead (Billy Woodberry)
Black Panthers (Agnes Varda)
A Well-Spent Life (Les Blank)

Gregor Samsa

#383 Post by Gregor Samsa » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:37 pm

Shrew wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:28 pm
It's only the films that the rightsholders will allow them to screen for free, hence the limited Robeson available. I believe it's just the films being highlighted in the banner on the Now Playing page.

The Watermelon Woman (Cheryl Dunye)
My Brother’s Wedding (Charles Burnett)
Black Mother (Khalik Allah)
Portrait of Jason (Shirley Clarke)
Down in the Delta (Maya Angelou)
Daughters of the Dust (Julie Dash)
Suzanne, Suzanne (Camille Phillips, James Hatch)
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm (William Greaves)
Losing Ground (Kathleen Collins)
Scar of Shame (Frank Perugni)
Body and Soul (Oscar Micheaux)
Shakedown (Leilah Weinraub)
Cane River (Horace Jenkins)
And When I Die, I Won’t Stay Dead (Billy Woodberry)
Black Panthers (Agnes Varda)
A Well-Spent Life (Les Blank)
They also put Ornette: Made in America (Shirley Clarke) back up.

MaxBercovicz

#384 Post by MaxBercovicz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:05 am

Help needed:

I’ve been plugging away at the Columbia Noir collection, but fatigue is setting in. Before I throw in the towel are there any super essentials I shouldn’t miss? Ones I haven’t seen are:

Johnny O’Clock
Affair in Trinidad
The Sniper
Drive a Crooked Road
5 Against the House
The Harder They Fall
Brothers Rico
The Burglar

starmanof51

#385 Post by starmanof51 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:04 am

If I were going to hit up one of those, it would be Drive a Crooked Road

swo17

#386 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:47 am

Ditto, and second place to The Sniper

Lowry_Sam

#387 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:06 am

Would love to see Indicator release the Columbia noirs as a box. There isn't really a classic noir among those that stands up to the best if that's what you're looking for, so I would pick something that strays from the formula like either The Harder They Fall for Humphrey Bogart at the end of his career & a young Rod Steiger or Affair In Trinidad for Rita Hayworth's musical numbers. The Sniper probably has the most suspenseful scenes & most classic noirish cinematography in its first half, but unfortunately becomes more conventional towards the end.

Noiradelic

#388 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 am

Drive a Crooked Road and The Harder They Fall / The Sniper.

DaCR's the first getaway driver noir.

schellenbergk

#390 Post by schellenbergk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 am

We watched "Around the World in 80 Days" yesterday. My husband really wanted to see it. . .

My take: While I would disagree that it's the worst film ever to win a best picture Oscar, it's surely in the top (bottom?) three. And it's Lo-o-o-o-o-o-g. Aside from the politically incorrect Shirley MacLaine performance, the fine Buster Keaton cameo, and the great Saul Bass credits at the end, there's really very little of interest. Did I mention it's l-o-o-o-o-o-g? In the middle, I took an hour off and walked the dog, washed up from lunch, baked baguettes, and then returned to the film. Hadn't missed anything in terms of plot. It was mildly amusing at points, but then covid-19 has lowered the bar for what it takes to amuse. . .

JakeStewart

#391 Post by JakeStewart » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Really hoping their print of The Naked Spur is better than the unwatchable one TCM always plays.

senseabove

#392 Post by senseabove » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 pm

You and me both. But afaik, the Channel hasn't screened a new WB restoration before it's had a disc release. They updated the Gaslight master during its run on the site, after the BD announcement, but it was the old master until the announcement.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#393 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:10 am

I love Tony Takitani and hope it has an HD master, though there's no Blu in Japan so I'm not holding my breath. Also curious to see whose logo appears up front since Strand no longer has the U.S. rights.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#394 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:10 am
I love Tony Takitani and hope it has an HD master, though there's no Blu in Japan so I'm not holding my breath. Also curious to see whose logo appears up front since Strand no longer has the U.S. rights.
Have you seen any other Jun Ichikawa films? I would say that I love almost every other one I've seen MORE than Tony Takitani (which I admire but find far "colder" than any other of his films). It's sad that almost nothing seems to be available -- but his Kaisha monogatari was available on the Criterion Channel at one point ( I like it, but it is also rather atypical).

acidgoat

#395 Post by acidgoat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:31 am

Unfortunately, the version of Arizona Dream that was added for July is the shorter version. Oh well...

JakeStewart

#396 Post by JakeStewart » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 pm

I’d say the quality of The Naked Spur is slightly but noticeably better than what plays on TCM, and certainly watchable. It’s definitely in need of a major restoration, though.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#397 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 am
The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:10 am
Have you seen any other Jun Ichikawa films? I would say that I love almost every other one I've seen MORE than Tony Takitani (which I admire but find far "colder" than any other of his films). It's sad that almost nothing seems to be available -- but his Kaisha monogatari was available on the Criterion Channel at one point ( I like it, but it is also rather atypical).
I've seen most of what's floating around with English subtitles (ironically not including Kaisha Monogatari, which I think is the only one besides Takitani that's ever been officially distributed in the U.S.). I reserve the top tier for others—Dying in a Hospital, Tokyo Marigold—but I find Tony Takitani in some ways more fascinating and more rewatchable, precisely because the emotional core is filtered through such odd narrative and formal strategies that it's all but invisible in the moment. Ogata's performance in particular is so finely wrought I feel like I'm seeing new gestures and meaning breaking through on every re-viewing. (I also feel it's the only Murakami adaptation that actually works as an adaptation, conveying the material without flattening it out; I'm a big admirer of Burning, but it expands on the story so much that the original becomes a starting point more than anything else.)

And to reply to my own post: there's no logos at the beginning at all, and it's clearly an SD source (not a very good one at that). As acidgoat put it, oh well...