Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Streaming Services

#126 Post by ando » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:17 am

Yes, I see! I Love Lucy, Taxi, The Brady Bunch, The [first] Odd Couple, Happy Days, Everybody Hates Chris and, of course, Star Trek (in all its incarnations) are favorites streaming now. They're obviously going for a certain age demographic.

unclehulot

#127 Post by unclehulot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 am

ando wrote:
dadaistnun wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm
NYPL is dropping Kanopy effective July 1.
We are saddened to inform you that the New York, Queens, and Brooklyn Public Libraries have decided to discontinue Kanopy's film streaming service to its patrons, effective July 1, 2019.

Film as a public resource is a critical part of New York’s culture and communities. We have enjoyed furthering the New York City libraries’ mission of providing open access to knowledge through our diverse and exclusive slate of 19,000+ thought-provoking films — from The Criterion Collection and The Great Courses to Frederick Wiseman documentaries and award-winning favorites like MOONLIGHT, LADY BIRD and I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO.

We are proud of the degree to which the New York community so strongly embraced Kanopy, and although we are disappointed by this decision, we understand that New York City’s libraries’ current priorities lie with other programs that also advance their mission.

We are grateful for these libraries’ support of Kanopy for the past several years and we will continue to work with them to explore opportunities to partner again in the future. Until then, we hope we left you with an experience that enriched, inspired, and challenged your perspectives.

Thank you for your patronage and support and we hope to connect with you again soon!

Sincerely,

Olivia Humphrey
CEO, Kanopy
No!!!!!!! :( Leaving us with NO alternative for streaming Shakespeare (for example). Completely wrongheaded. Prayers for a backlash. My letter (however futile) is on its way.
Britbox recently added quite a few BBC Shakespeare titles, and Amazon Prime also has a number of them. I hope my school keeps Kanopy access....my wife’s school cancelled Kanopy recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#128 Post by ando » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:28 pm

unclehulot wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 am
Britbox recently added quite a few BBC Shakespeare titles, and Amazon Prime also has a number of them. I hope my school keeps Kanopy access....my wife’s school cancelled Kanopy recently.
That really was a disappointment. But BroadwayHD, which you can get through Prime or as a stand-alone app, has the entire series currently streaming. So there is an alternative for teachers with one or two of the less well known plays on their syllabus. Kanopy, at least through the NYPL system, NEVER had the entire series streaming at once. All's Well... :)

knives

#129 Post by knives » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Mubi is showing Herzog's latest not a documentary for free right now for everyone with a login, but only for 24 hours.