Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Petty Bourgeoisie

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2626 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:09 pm

In these trying times, the people need Goliath vs The Vampires as soon as possible.

Ashirg

#2627 Post by Ashirg » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Coming July 21st!
ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Phillipa Berry
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles
ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES (1944)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Phillipa Berry
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
SON OF ALI BABA (1952)
• NEW Audio commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
BUCCANEER’S GIRL (1950)
• NEW Audio commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
AGAINST ALL FLAGS (1952)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Stephen Vagg
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS (1952)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

What A Disgrace

#2628 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:33 pm

One of my favorite Raoul Walsh films! I'm excited for that one.

Adam X

#2629 Post by Adam X » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:26 am

I completely misread the listing for Against All Flags as I skimmed that list.

agnamaracs

#2630 Post by agnamaracs » Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 pm

There are lots of silent films in the While Supplies Last Sale. Any of them carry high recommendations?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2631 Post by Drucker » Thu May 07, 2020 8:39 am

I loved Beggars of Life, and Covered Wagon was pretty good. But I found Running Wild to be a chore.

Glowingwabbit

#2632 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu May 07, 2020 8:59 am

I'll second Beggars of Life and Covered Wagon. I'd also suggest the 3 Gloria Swanson films (Zaza, Stage Struck, Manhandled)

I really doubt many of the silents in the sale will ever get released again so I wouldn't hesitate.

therewillbeblus

#2633 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 07, 2020 10:41 am

For members who are not region-free, Man of the West can't be recommended highly enough (pretty universally here too). It's not a silent though, unless you're Trout

senseabove

#2634 Post by senseabove » Thu May 07, 2020 12:38 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:41 am
For members who are not region-free, Man of the West can't be recommended highly enough (pretty universally here too). It's not a silent though, unless you're Trout
Ah, dangit! I somehow missed there was superior Eureka release and ordered this from Kino... Well, if I like it as much as I like the other Mann/Stewart westerns save Man from Laramie, I guess it'll be a double dip.

therewillbeblus

#2635 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 07, 2020 1:31 pm

I haven't watched both side-by-side but I don't think the MoC is thought of as vastly superior in quality necessarily outside of the commentary/booklet.

I think you will, at the very least, like it. It's my favorite western, and even domino and zedz agree on this one which should be enough to get everyone on the bandwagon.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#2636 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Thu May 07, 2020 1:37 pm

I'm pretty mild on Man of the West (I generally just can't fathom the idea that any of Boetticher or Mann's westerns are nearly as good as Ford's), but if you do like Mann's other westerns, you're sure to like Man of the West, which is as good as Winchester 73 or The Man from Laramie.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2637 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu May 07, 2020 1:39 pm

I don't like it nearly as much as Winchester or Laramie, though I still think it's fine, but I'll get to that when I do the revisit for the 50s project!

therewillbeblus

#2638 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 07, 2020 2:27 pm

It took me a while to warm up to seeing the western-blood in chaos of human nature beneath its deceptively mild exterior (there are so many elements that subvert grand expectations for westerns), but I also just wrote a lot on it in the 50s thread, so I don't need to say more here.

senseabove

#2639 Post by senseabove » Thu May 07, 2020 2:56 pm

In yet another of my blasphemies, six westerns (and two others) down and, barring Stagecoach, I've found Ford to be an abstract pleasure at best... He's a director I watch out of respectful obligation and faint hope, at this point. And of all the Mann/Stewart westerns, Man from Laramie is the only one I very nearly hated—the ranch supremacy Western frame story is my least favorite of the prototypical Western plots, especially with the big dumb daddy's boy character as the plot fulcrum. (Plus, I don't think Mann handled the Cinemascope in Laramie all that well...) And while Winchester's one I'm eager to revisit, Bend of the River, Far Country and especially Naked Spur are the ones that have stuck with me. Honestly, those three, at the time, pretty well convinced me to not relegate westerns to the permanent backburner as a genre... With all that bonus taste info, I'll now be taking bets on whether I'll like Man of the West.

therewillbeblus

#2640 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Ford is an interesting one, because that "abstract pleasure" describes my feelings on many of his works, where the formalism is the marvel that draws me in, but I don't often rank his westerns amongst my favorites (also barring Stagecoach, his masterpiece, and a few others I love - but The Searchers, while great, may not even make my top 50 for the 1950s...)

It took me a while to warm to Mann in general, and I find his work to be far less obvious in its complexities. His westerns can appear as passive dressing (like Boetticher, who also is overlooked, though to me feels like a Mann-lite production) but beneath the colorful dense exteriors is an aggressive puncture of humanity that transforms the externalizations of Ford (and most wide-scope landscape/macro-systemic westerns) internally into the enigmatic spaces of people, and the weak grasp we have on their internal terrains. I really find Mann's apparent simplicity to be an illusion, and probably shrugged at The Naked Spur at least twice before I saw the western themes as applied to invisible psychological space, which - with some adjustment in perception - has made him the master of westerns in my book.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2641 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 07, 2020 4:02 pm

I’m not sure who wins overall between Ford and Mann on the Western front, but for sure Boetticher is not coming in third— maybe like eleventh or twelfth

knives

#2642 Post by knives » Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Who are the other big ones? Leone, William Hart, and Corbucci. Maybe Daves if I want to be perverse. There aren't many great western directors I feel.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2643 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 07, 2020 4:16 pm

The subject of our next Auteur Project, for one!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2644 Post by swo17 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:21 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2646 Post by swo17 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:29 pm

Figured I was missing something

therewillbeblus

#2647 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 07, 2020 4:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:02 pm
I’m not sure who wins overall between Ford and Mann on the Western front, but for sure Boetticher is not coming in third— maybe like eleventh or twelfth
I wouldn't place him in third either, but the duplicitous fluff reminds me of Mann's false exteriors more than most I could think of, plus the comparison upthread.

It's almost impossible to compare Ford and Mann because they take completely opposite approaches to what the western is, and even if I have to fight my own history of watching movies, and falling in love with the western genre in Ford, Leone, etc in order to arrive at Mann's crowning, it's more of a reflection of my own unique interest as well as the novelty in manipulating the 'morality in order/disorder' thematic interest to psychology than the physical Hobbes/Locke battle I'm familiar with. Then I remember some of Ford and Leone's epics and think twice.

knives

#2648 Post by knives » Thu May 07, 2020 5:08 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:16 pm
The subject of our next Auteur Project, for one!
Doh! I can't believe I forgot him, Wellman, and Peckinpah. Shows how little I was bothering to remember when asking the question.

Bob Furmanek

#2649 Post by Bob Furmanek » Sun May 10, 2020 12:08 pm

Douglas Sirk's TAZA, SON OF COCHISE is a stereoscopic masterpiece that belongs in every 3-D Blu-ray collection.

It is also Sirk/Metty's first widescreen production.

Here's a new article by 3-D experts Mike Ballew and Hillary Hess: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/taza-son-of-cochise

L.A.

#2650 Post by L.A. » Tue May 12, 2020 11:16 am

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray July 14th from Kino Lorber Studio Classics!

Straight Shooting (1917)
Directed by John Ford
Starring Harry Carey

NEW 4K RESTORATION!
Straight Shooting is a landmark in the history of the Western - the first feature directed by the legendary John Ford. Presented here in a new 4K restoration from Universal Pictures.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Joseph McBride, author of Searching for John Ford: A Life
*Hitchin' Posts (1920), directed by John Ford, fragment preserved by the Library of Congress)
*Video essay by film critic Tag Gallagher
*Score by Michael Gatt