Forthcoming: Wong Kar-wai Box

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Rupert Pupkin

Re: Forthcoming: Wong Kar-wai Box

#51 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 pm

yes, beside the frame problem (bad conversion to 1080p24) the resolution although HD is not that good and I think that my French DVD is better even if this is an SD version.

did someone "work" on a fan-re-edit using the outtakes footage of "The Zone" (it reminds somehow "Stalker")- on the French DVD there is a lot of unused outtakes - as seen on the various trailer.
Of course it's SD, that's why a Criterion High-Res Blu-Ray with all these bonus would be great.
I would like to see a re-edit of the movie which would focus on the narrative Sc-Fi movie using the tunnel scene, these zone travelers like in Tarkovsky Stalker, etc...
There's an atmosphere of torpeur, lethargy in the movie which reminds me Tarkovsky.
Not that I don't like WKW edit; but I would be curious to see an alternate edit.

Zot!

#52 Post by Zot! » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 am

Close The Door, Raymond wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:50 pm
So it seems there's a chance this will include:

Janus Films titles:
AS TEARS GO BY
DAYS OF BEING WILD
CHUNGKING EXPRESS - #453 - DVD & Blu-ray OOP
FALLEN ANGELS
HAPPY TOGETHER
IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE - #147 - DVD is in print but Blu-ray is "Currently Unavailable" at the CC website
THE HAND - a new director’s cut / segment from "Eros"

jwo17 source:
2046 via Sony

What about... ???
ASHES OF TIME - Sony / DVD only (US)
MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS - Weinstein Co. / DVD only (US)
THE GRANDMASTER - Lionsgate / DVD & Blu-ray
Needs:
-Ashes of Time original cut in SD or whatever they can find
-Removal of all mention concerning Blueberry Nights.

otherwise, the run up to that incredible poo stain is unimpugnable.

feihong

#53 Post by feihong » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:02 pm

I know Criterion isn't likely to do this, but if anyone could even find an old print of Ashes of Time in its Hong Kong cut it would be more than welcome.

Recently some people on Youtube uploaded a 20-minute section of the Moon Lee/Yukari Oshima movie "Dreaming the Reality," in a print they had scanned themselves. It was filthy with dirt and scratches, but it still looked great. The rights holder put the kibosh on them uploading later segments, but my point is that the film was not only very watchable, but really gorgeous, with beautiful color, exciting crispness, etc. It didn't matter that it was like seeing the film in a grindhouse. So I think a scratchy old print of Ashes of Time would be infinitely better than that scummy Redux cut.

dwk

#54 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:05 pm

feihong wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:02 pm
I know Criterion isn't likely to do this, but if anyone could even find an old print of Ashes of Time in its Hong Kong cut it would be more than welcome.

Recently some people on Youtube uploaded a 20-minute section of the Moon Lee/Yukari Oshima movie "Dreaming the Reality," in a print they had scanned themselves. It was filthy with dirt and scratches, but it still looked great. The rights holder put the kibosh on them uploading later segments, but my point is that the film was not only very watchable, but really gorgeous, with beautiful color, exciting crispness, etc. It didn't matter that it was like seeing the film in a grindhouse. So I think a scratchy old print of Ashes of Time would be infinitely better than that scummy Redux cut.
Criterion included the original cut of Police Story 2 that was from a theatrical print. The question really is does Wong Kar-wai want that version on the set (assuming Ashes of Time is going to be a part of the set.)

feihong

#55 Post by feihong » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 pm

I wish they could keep WKW out of the equation, honestly–though I know they won't. So much of the Redux seemed to be Wong's own ego, trying to paper over the more youthful–seeming movie he originally made with a pseudo–classy reconceptualization. I wonder if Wong has maybe mellowed on that project over the years, but I kind of doubt it.

Zot!

#56 Post by Zot! » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 am

feihong wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 pm
I wish they could keep WKW out of the equation, honestly–though I know they won't. So much of the Redux seemed to be Wong's own ego, trying to paper over the more youthful–seeming movie he originally made with a pseudo–classy reconceptualization. I wonder if Wong has maybe mellowed on that project over the years, but I kind of doubt it.
I liked Redux enough to buy the UK Blu, but agreed that it is fussy and stinks of BMW ad revisionism for something that was genuinely exciting, weird and evocative . I don't think anybody watched Ashes of Time for the story, which made the changes that much more intrusive, unlike say Blade Runner, which seems to survive umpteen updates ok.

They won't, but it would be appropriate if they bookended a WKW golden era box with the two versions of Ashes of Time.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#57 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:22 pm

feihong wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 pm
I wish they could keep WKW out of the equation, honestly–though I know they won't.
I don't see how they could, given that Jet Tone owns all the post-Days of Being Wild work. A Japanese Blu-ray of Happy Together had the original cut as an extra (scanned from a theatrical print), but the differences there are so minor that it doesn't really tell us much about what Wong would be willing to tolerate vis-à-vis alternate cuts.

whaleallright

#58 Post by whaleallright » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:42 pm

You could do an entire box set with just the different cuts of either Days of Being Wild or Ashes of Time.

Orlac

#59 Post by Orlac » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:11 am

Are there any original prints of ASHES OF TIME they could use ala POLICE STORY 2? They would probaby have burnt in subs but that is better than nothing.