Neil Peart (1952-2020)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Neil Peart (1952-2020)

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:05 pm

flyonthewall2983

Re: Passages

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Besides being known as one of the greatest drummers ever, he was also a very good author, chronicling his journeys around the world, as a musician and as an avid cyclist.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:18 pm

I'm absolutely stunned. The band's always been very private about their personal lives, but this came out of nowhere. Peart was hugely influential on an entire generation of drummers, and a very pointed lyricist to boot.

Oedipax

#4 Post by Oedipax » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Yeah, I'm gutted about this. It would not surprise me if this was something Peart knew was coming and decided to do the last Rush tour and then keep it private, but that's just speculating.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:47 pm

I really don't like throwing around hyperbole like this around but he really was a voice of his generation, or at least a more marginalized part of it.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#6 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:58 pm

Ow. Complete shocker.

flyonthewall2983

#7 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:32 pm

Oedipax wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:42 pm
It would not surprise me if this was something Peart knew was coming and decided to do the last Rush tour and then keep it private, but that's just speculating.
From what I've read, he was diagnosed in 2017. He stopped touring because of Arthritis.

Mike Portnoy, formerly of Dream Theater, considered by many to be Peart's heir as prog rock drummer supreme, wrote this rememberance for Billboard.

His appreciation of "La Villa Strangiato" as a musical piece echoes my own.
The song I've grown to really love and identify with a lot is "Armor and Sword", from 2007's Snakes And Arrows.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#8 Post by Godot » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:32 am

For Rush fans, I highly recommend you track down the "Classic Albums" release on 2112 / Moving Pictures, produced by Eagle Rock entertainment (though some from the series seem to be marketed from VH1, since they were shown as part of that channel's "Classic Albums" show). It's on DVD and Blu-ray, and currently streaming on Amazon. I love this series for exploring the background of the bands and a specific high-profile release, usually with interviews with the band members, recording engineers, producers, etc. to break down the elements of the songs. This Rush episode was fascinating because I've never been a fan of the group, but they came off so eloquent, serious about their craft, and precise in their execution that I revisited a number of their albums from the library and enjoyed them much more than when I heard the radio hits as a callow teen. All three were endearing, but Peart in particular tells interesting stories about his lyrics and the evolution of the songs.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Neil Peart (1952-2020)

#9 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 am

Donna Halper on his death. She was the first American DJ to play Rush's music, and followed up on that by supporting their efforts when they started to break in the States.

jazzo

#10 Post by jazzo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 am

Godot wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:32 am
For Rush fans, I highly recommend you track down the "Classic Albums" release on 2112 / Moving Pictures, produced by Eagle Rock entertainment (though some from the series seem to be marketed from VH1, since they were shown as part of that channel's "Classic Albums" show). It's on DVD and Blu-ray, and currently streaming on Amazon. I love this series for exploring the background of the bands and a specific high-profile release, usually with interviews with the band members, recording engineers, producers, etc. to break down the elements of the songs. This Rush episode was fascinating because I've never been a fan of the group, but they came off so eloquent, serious about their craft, and precise in their execution that I revisited a number of their albums from the library and enjoyed them much more than when I heard the radio hits as a callow teen. All three were endearing, but Peart in particular tells interesting stories about his lyrics and the evolution of the songs.
I completely agree.

As a boy in growing up in suburban Toronto in the late seventies/early eighties, you couldn't really ignore Rush (or SCTV) if you tried. I didn't. Something in their music spoke very profoundly to outsider kids back then, and it still very much does to this day.

I'd also suggest a watch of Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, a terrific 2010 documentary on the band and its history. Their music may not be for everybody, but its hard to deny the warmth and exuberance of the three musicians. Even my wife - by no means a fan of the band - had to admit that it was so wonderful being around these lovely human beings for two hours, she wished she could invite them over for dinner.

flyonthewall2983

#11 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:37 pm

In honor of him a year after his passing, Rolling Stone published this exclusive article, featuring new interviews with Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Peart's wife among others, detailing the last years of his life.