Criterion and Paramount

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
DeprongMori

Re: Criterion and Paramount

#826 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Just tested it under Region A. The BFI Deep End Dual Format is in fact Region Free (or at least A and B compatible.)

FrauBlucher

#827 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:48 pm

This bears watching, as this could lead to another batch of Paramount titles coming to Criterion...

A question to Kino insider on the other forum....
Kino Insider - with Scream announcing 7 Paramount titles at the weekend (and presumably more to come), I was wondering now if you could say more about Paramount finally relenting and licencing out their higher profile titles (i.e., those which they previously released on DVD). Will Kino now try for the same kind of access, if they haven't already? Scream will cover much of the horror side of things sure, but a mammoth Kino deal including westerns, thrillers, war films, some John Wayne, action, a little more horror and much more besides is what we could really do with if the Paramount vaults are now wide open.
His answer...
Yes, they are and we've had discussions with them. They're now willing to license SOME of the "previously released on DVD" titles now.

captveg

#828 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:58 pm

KL Insider also stated they are less likely to pick up older comedies and dramas, as those don't sell as well as genre titles (Westerns, Action, Sci-Fi, Noir), which means titles like The Miracle of Morgan's Creek would likely need to come from Criterion or maybe Shout Factory through their Shout Select line.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#829 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:00 pm

That’s a shame, one of the few inarguably good things KL has been doing lately is releasing studio era films that are unlikely to be upgrade material from other labels. Now they too are capitulating to an audience that only wants genre works

DeprongMori

#830 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Just watched a German-import DVD of Michael Schorr's 2003 award-winning debut Schultze Gets the Blues, and since it is so beautifully shot I was hoping this would see a Blu-ray release somewhere. Given that it is a Paramount Classics release, perhaps that opens up the option to Criterion. Composed almost entirely of static shots and containing bone-dry humor, this would likely appeal to fans of Kaurismaki and Jarmusch.

Jerzy Skolimowski's Deep End was mentioned earlier. Just watched it last night for the first time, and can highly recommend the BFI Flipside region-free release.

DeprongMori

#831 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 pm

Martin Scorsese announces the release of 24 films in the ‘Republic Rediscovered’ collection. The films will be made available for rental or purchase through the Apple TV app. Until September 16, they are available for purchase for only $5 each. After that, they go up to $14. The titles includes such well-known films as Johnny Guitar and The Quiet Man as well as some lesser-known favorites of Scorsese such as That Brennan Girl and City That Never Sleeps. They expect to restore over 100 films from Republic Pictures in all.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#832 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 am

The 24 films are listed here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#833 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 am

That Brennan Girl is in danger of becoming a cult classic due to some recent revival screenings, but it's really not merited. I like Mona Freeman in a lot of other movies, but hoo boy she was pitchin' waay out of her league here

EDIT: Looking at the list, Hell's Half Acre and I, Jane Doe awful, I wouldn't waste your money on those. The best films I've seen from this lot are the ones you've all heard of, though there's a few I haven't seen yet

mteller

#834 Post by mteller » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:55 pm

City That Never Sleeps has some good stuff going for it. Not great, but interesting.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#835 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeah, it's worth a watch at least. The movie itself is just okay but that mechanical man stuff is wild!

FrauBlucher

#836 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Is there a reason this was posted in this thread? Is Criterion rumored to release any of these or is this just random with no where else to put this?

jwd5275

#837 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 pm

When you look at the list, Criterion has already released one of the titles...

DeprongMori

#838 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm
Is there a reason this was posted in this thread? Is Criterion rumored to release any of these or is this just random with no where else to put this?
Apology if this is not the right place. I couldn’t find a dedicated Paramount or Republic thread. Feel free to move the discussion if there is a more appropriate place.