BD 214 The Fate of Lee Khan

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Eureka/Masters of Cinema and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here.
Forum rules
Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.
rapta

BD 214 The Fate of Lee Khan

#1 Post by rapta » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Coming soon... (2019)

andyli

Re: Forthcoming: The Fate of Lee Khan

#2 Post by andyli » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:19 pm

This is kind of surprising. Since the newly restored Raining in the Mountain is doing the rounds I assume it is the next in line to receive a blu-ray upgrade.

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Forthcoming: The Fate of Lee Khan

#3 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Glad my pessimistic prediction about this one didn't hold up, though in my defense I don't think anyone predicted in 2017 that Eureka (and Janus too!) would soon be drawing on the Fortune Star catalog! Unfortunately I don't know how this augurs for The Valiant Ones—last year I assumed it was with Fortune Star, since it was part of the same two-picture deal with Golden Harvest as Lee Khan, but apparently Hu himself retained ownership of The Valiant Ones and I don't know for sure who has it now. But the Hong Kong Film Archive restored it a few years ago, so it might be Blu-ready providing the rights can be squared away.

rapta

Re: TBD The Fate of Lee Khan

#4 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:49 pm

dda1996a

Re: TBD The Fate of Lee Khan

#5 Post by dda1996a » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Reminds me I still haven't seen my Legend of the Mountain Blu for some reason...

Grand Wazoo

Re: BD 214 The Fate of Lee Khan

#6 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:05 pm

It's going to be weird watching a King Hu restoration without the dipped-in-piss look. Very excited for this.

Orlac

#7 Post by Orlac » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Legend of the Mountain seemed to avoid the yellowy look...

Finch

#8 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:14 pm

The Film Movement Blu-Ray is up to $40 on their website so this is a no-brainer. Now we need the people who did the resto on Lee Khan to work on The Valiant Ones and Raining in the Mountain (I wonder who has the rights for Come Drink With Me? still the Weinsteins?).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#9 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Raining in the Mountain has already been restored by the Taiwan Film Institute. They worked with Ritrovata on their previous Hu restos, but there's no mention of them in the very detailed booklet the TFI put out on the Raining restoration, and they've spent the last couple of years upgrading and acquiring equipment with the probable goal of doing everything in-house from now on.

As for Come Drink with Me, the Weinsteins' rights expired some time ago. The American Genre Film Archive distributes it theatrically, but Celestial itself has the streaming/VOD rights. I don't know if anyone has physical media rights, but I'd wager not. In fact I don't think any Celestial-owned titles are currently in print on DVD or Blu in the U.S.
Last edited by The Fanciful Norwegian on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Orlac wrote:Legend of the Mountain seemed to avoid the yellowy look...
Oh it's visibly a Ritrovata LUT-handled work, no doubt about that.
However, they have been dialing back progressively how intense their LUTs are. Hopefully, it will very soon be visible on what is hitting the market (though IIRC, some already-available titles are already showing this evolution, but except OUATIC 3, I dont have any title hitting my memory right now).

htom

#11 Post by htom » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:16 pm
As for Come Drink with Me, the Weinsteins' rights expired some time ago. The American Genre Film Archive distributes it theatrically, but Celestial itself has the streaming/VOD rights. I don't know if anyone has physical media rights, but I'd wager not. In fact I don't think any Celestial-owned titles are currently in print on DVD or Blu in the U.S.
I can confirm that Come Drink with Me currently streams on (Amazon) Prime Video in Canada with the Celestial logo at the front, but only with an English dub (unsure about the lineage for that track) as an option.