Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

#126 Post by swo17 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:00 am

No, Best Picture should go to something important like Green Book

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#127 Post by tenia » Sun May 05, 2019 4:23 am

I would prefer much less fans feeling touched ans the movies being better.
Not that quality always mattered for Awards, though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#128 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 05, 2019 11:05 am

Congratulations to Marvel for making money!!!!!

bearcuborg

#129 Post by bearcuborg » Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Compared to what usually wins, and Lord of the Rings, it’s at least worthy of a nomination - but even more so, what this movie was designed to do, it has done on a level unmatched by any franchise. At least that’s what I’ve read/heard!

Glowingwabbit

#130 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun May 05, 2019 3:43 pm

bearcuborg wrote:Compared to what usually wins, and Lord of the Rings, it’s at least worthy of a nomination - but even more so, what this movie was designed to do, it has done on a level unmatched by any franchise. At least that’s what I’ve read/heard!
Based on just how low the bar has been set, I wouldn't be at all surprised by a nomination or even an honorary Oscar be given. It's sad but it's the reality of the industry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

movielocke

#131 Post by movielocke » Sun May 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
bearcuborg wrote:Compared to what usually wins, and Lord of the Rings, it’s at least worthy of a nomination - but even more so, what this movie was designed to do, it has done on a level unmatched by any franchise. At least that’s what I’ve read/heard!
Based on just how low the bar has been set, I wouldn't be at all surprised by a nomination or even an honorary Oscar be given. It's sad but it's the reality of the industry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Eh, blockbusters like black panther getting nominated has been extremely rare since avatar. Nominating another blockbuster instead of the eleventy billionth anonymous awards bait “Indy” (exactly like the vast vast majority of nominees that year and years previous) makes the category a little less inbred at least.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#132 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 am

Good news, an MRA has re-edited a bootleg of this film to remove “feminized” aspects, among other imagined sins. Spoiler-heavy rundown of alterations:
SpoilerShow

cdnchris
Site Admin

#133 Post by cdnchris » Thu May 09, 2019 10:23 am

I got to the one about Hawkeye training his daughter and just stopped. It's amazing how people get so passionate over something so fucking stupid.

Big Ben

#134 Post by Big Ben » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am

"Committing a felony to 'own' people I don't like online" is a new level of petty.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#135 Post by Never Cursed » Thu May 09, 2019 10:53 am

Hideous, hideous politics aside, the dude cut out the actual best parts of the movie! Why would you ever cut out that first hour, especially if its only sin is being "mopey"?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#136 Post by tenia » Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 am

There also was a The Last Jedi "De-Feminized edition".
However, I have to say : it's all for the worst reasons, but many of the tweaks and removals done here (filler removal, Dab / Fortnite / America's ass etc, ...) probably actually improve the movie. As someone who felt most of the movie was superfluous (not that much, though, and certainly not for these reasons - I still don't understand why some are getting so uptight about the Women Line Up shot in the final battle -), managing to remove half of the movie seems about right.
Never Cursed wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:53 am
Hideous, hideous politics aside, the dude cut out the actual best parts of the movie! Why would you ever cut out that first hour, especially if its only sin is being "mopey"?
'cause it's boring and overlong ?

movielocke

Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

#137 Post by movielocke » Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Looks like avengers will pass avatar for the number two domestic all time box office this weekend, but it also will sputter our in the low 800s well behind force awakens

Avengers has already passed Star Wars globally, but it needs 240 million to pass avatar and become the biggest film ever, which is probable, but hard to guess if it’s a week or two away or a month.

I imagine even if the box office sputters out, Disney will do what it takes to get it over that global landmark though since the title is in reach, possibly a mid June push leading into the July 4 spider man movie.
Captain marvel had a really great weekend leading into end game and last year and black panther did the same the weekend infinity war opened, so that July 4 weekend may be what pushes avengers to the top.

movielocke

#138 Post by movielocke » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Avengers End Game is 47 million shy of beating Avatar for the all time global box office record. Captain Mavel and Black Panther both experienced decent sized bumps the weekend before the Avengers films, Will End Game get enough of a bump this weekend going into spiderman, (Spider man comes out a week from wednesday) to get over the hump? globally, it's added 33 million and 12 million the previous two weekends.

I thought it probably would a month ago, but it seems less likely now, on the other hand, with a series of june flops at the box office, there is probably more of an opening for this than I thought before.

Nasir007

#139 Post by Nasir007 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:01 pm

movielocke wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:26 pm
Avengers End Game is 47 million shy of beating Avatar for the all time global box office record. Captain Mavel and Black Panther both experienced decent sized bumps the weekend before the Avengers films, Will End Game get enough of a bump this weekend going into spiderman, (Spider man comes out a week from wednesday) to get over the hump? globally, it's added 33 million and 12 million the previous two weekends.

I thought it probably would a month ago, but it seems less likely now, on the other hand, with a series of june flops at the box office, there is probably more of an opening for this than I thought before.
It won't take the record. And even if it does, it will lose it to Avatar again.

Avatar will surely be re-released in theaters when it is time to promote Avatar 2. The sequels are so late that Avatar 2 is coming out a generation after the first film. So there is a lot of addressable market with all the millions of people who never saw Avatar in a theater.

Slap on some new gimmick in marketing like calling it 48fps or new and improved 3d or special edition or updated vfx or longer definitive cut or what not and it is primed to make bank.

So the worldwide record for Endgame is a mirage. Even if it reaches that milestone, it will lose that record quickly.

movielocke

#140 Post by movielocke » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Nasir007 wrote:
movielocke wrote:

It won't take the record. And even if it does, it will lose it to Avatar again.

Avatar will surely be re-released in theaters when it is time to promote Avatar 2. The sequels are so late that Avatar 2 is coming out a generation after the first film. So there is a lot of addressable market with all the millions of people who never saw Avatar in a theater.

Slap on some new gimmick in marketing like calling it 48fps or new and improved 3d or special edition or updated vfx or longer definitive cut or what not and it is primed to make bank.

So the worldwide record for Endgame is a mirage. Even if it reaches that milestone, it will lose that record quickly.
The only franchise that did re releases before the new installment was lord of the rings seventeen years ago. Marvel didn’t do re releases of infinity war nor did Disney do force awakens, so I doubt that is a certainty. Avatar did have one re release less than a year after its premiere, and titanic had its 3D release, so james Cameron likes them, which may make a third rerelease of avatar more likely.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#141 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 am

I'm also (but maybe that's just me) that Avatar quite faded away in some movies that worked very well at the BO and re-launched 3D but I'm wondering if people are still that interested in it.

movielocke

#142 Post by movielocke » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Marvel re releasing the film next weekend June 28, with new post credit scenes. The first release had no post credit scenes

Looks like that will push the film over the avatar hump

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/19/18691433/ ... its-scenes

bearcuborg

#143 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Avengers Endgame 2.0 The Search For More Money

Pretty scummy.

Big Ben

#144 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Congratulations to Disney on surpassing Disney at the Box Office.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#145 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:01 pm

bearcuborg wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm
Avengers Endgame 2.0 The Search For More Money
Hard to blame them taking advantage of fans making this search so easy.

Nasir007

#146 Post by Nasir007 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:24 pm

I maintain that Avengers will win win the record. But to be truly safe, they better clear Avatar by something like 300 million dollars. Titanic re-release made 300 I think. So I think that might be the range for the inevitable Avatar re-release. Do you think Cameron is going to let the record go?

This is going to be a very short victory for Marvel.

davoarid

#147 Post by davoarid » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:45 pm

I actually kinda admire their restraint in not completely abusing this strategy? Though perhaps it’s just a precursor of things to come, where Avengers: The New Beginning will be released in 4 separate versions, each version with 1-2 different scenes, and you need to watch them all to understand what’s going on in Hulk: Begin Again.

(If they wanted to be really wicked, they could make it so you have no way of knowing which version you’ve paid money to see—it’s all random! Unfriended: Dark Web pulled off that trick; fortunately, I was not so wrapped up in the Dark Web Extended Cinematic Universe that I felt compelled to go back in the hopes of catching the second version.

furbicide

#148 Post by furbicide » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 pm

movielocke wrote:

Inflation makes a nonsense of these records. See here for a more realistic table:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Avatar and the latest instalment of The Adventures have still done pretty well, but neither are even halfway to Gone with the Wind's total adjusted box office.

And that's not even taking into consideration the fact that recent films like these have the benefit of substantial population increase...

knives

#149 Post by knives » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:02 am

And disadvantage of shorter times at the boxoffice.

movielocke

#150 Post by movielocke » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 pm

The inflation chart is one I always check, but it can’t really be tracked globally, and iirc it also depends on average ticket price. Something like gone with the wind often had special super premium ticket prices, so running inflation calculations based on computing tickets sold based on average ticket price is very problematic for films like that.

And the same thing is true today with films like avatar having functionally premium priced tickets with 3D. Titanic is truly an outlier, having no special pricing and surviving in the multiplex era of short windows for a staggering first run length. Prior generation films like jaws or star wars that predate the multiplex are a different animal. And even a film like ET is quite different from those films five to ten years earlier, as it was in an era now dominated by the new suburban mall plexes (three to six screens) vs the single screen venues.

All of the venue aspects that evolved over the last hundred years affect market saturation and penetration, competition and ticket prices of course, and it doesn’t really matter, all these top films succeeded incredibly well in their respective market environments but it also illustrates the apples and oranges problem of comparing across different eras and markets. So it’s good to have both the total gross comparison and the adjusted calculation, but neither number is really all that superior to the other, they’re both rife with problems.