John Wick Franchise (Chad Stahelski/David Leitch, 2014-2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: John Wick Franchise (Chad Stahelski/David Leitch, 2014-?

#26 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 pm

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

Re: John Wick Franchise (Chad Stahelski/David Leitch, 2014-2019)

#27 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 10, 2019 1:27 pm

First reviews for the new entry seem to be very positive, especially when it comes to the choreography and production design of the main setpieces. Have to admit I'm oddly excited for this, given my lukewarm reaction to the first two; maybe there's just been a dearth of what I think of as "real" action movies as opposed to fully CGI fantasy films with occasional fight scenes.

Cde.

#28 Post by Cde. » Mon May 13, 2019 11:21 pm

The fight choreography is undeniably spectacular, and more fluid and cleanly shot even than part two. This film borrows a discipline and approach to action from the Raid films, not just cast. Unfortunately it also borrows a focus on shock and gore from The Raid 2 - the wit and physical comedy of John Wick 2 have been replaced with bones snapping, heads splitting, crotch chopping, all accompanied by disturbingly squelchy sound design. The side-effect of the protagonist's brutality being so lovingly fawned over is that it's hard to empathise with him even on the crude level we might have in the past - he is now merely the raging psychopath who serves as vehicle for more action, bigger scale, more explosion of flesh. And there is a lot. This movie brings to the screen the cognitive dissonance of video games, where a hero might be an everyman in cut scenes but then pitilessly dispatch thousands of faceless inferiors in between.
Initially the technique of the action is undeniably thrilling, but the point of excess is reached very early on. Choreography is very samey throughout, and coupled with Wick's superhero like invulnerability, the scenes eventually become tiresome and numbing.
An action movie for the Marvel generation, I guess. It also reminded me of Marvel (and The Raid 2) in the way it expects us to suddenly care about what happens to its characters and its world, which were never more than fun, weird ways to keep the plot going in previous installments and haven't picked up on any additional depth here. Very soap opera.

Glimpses of humanity are at a new low for the series, car-ad aestheticism and sheer numbing repetition to the action is at a new high. In its celebration of the destruction of bodies, slick, clinical surfaces, and it's sublimation of all else to the drive for bigger, meaner, more, Parabellum has traded what made the series fun for an all encompassing nihilistic cruelty.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#29 Post by tenia » Tue May 14, 2019 2:11 am

First French review I've read states this 3rd movie amps up even more the action scenes, but also is the first entry to thoroughly fail on the writing level, with the movie not having anything left to say halfway through (and showing) and the majority of the secondary characters being totally pointless.
However, it calls the first half hour "prodigious".

Cde.

#30 Post by Cde. » Tue May 14, 2019 2:41 am

The first half hour is the only time you'll really appreciate the action, because it's just the same thing over and over again afterwards.

Finch

#31 Post by Finch » Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Cde. wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:21 pm
Glimpses of humanity are at a new low for the series (..) Parabellum has traded what made the series fun for an all encompassing nihilistic cruelty.
Maybe I'm being over-sensitive but I felt the second film already included some off-putting fawning admiration of weapons (the scene where the weapons dealer presents Wick with a choice of guns to pick from for the assassination mission) and the tone of the second film already felt more callous than the first. What you're describing makes me less and less keen on the third film.

The writing has always been somewhat iffy but listening to the dialogue from the trailer I thought, Christ, it's gotten worse. I liked the first film alright but two viewings of the second film have already soured me on this series. I'll concede that the second film has some very nice setpieces.

Finally, I can't stand Ian McShane's character in this. To me, Winston isn't any better than any of the other lousy roles McShane has been offered and accepted since Deadwood, and for me, it's gotten to the point that I find McShane's performances as lazy as the writing (I've not seen American Gods, though).