The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
unclehulot

The Criterion Channel

#51 Post by unclehulot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 am

Hmm....downloaded Apple TV app just now, tried to log in with credentials I set up at the end of January, won’t let me log in. Reset PW, let me in (but not on the website) but asks me to subscribe at full price....can’t view anything without resolving this.

Quit the app and restarted and now it’s working!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: The Criterion Channel

#52 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am

No current mention of Roku or Chromecast support in current help pages (so far as I can see)....

dustybooks

#53 Post by dustybooks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am

I believe those are the old "movie of the week" help pages and a Roku app is meant to launch sometime today.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#54 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am

No Roku for us yet -- I keep hoping they will support Chromecast... Or should Roku be significantly better than a Chromecast Ultra?

Glowingwabbit

#55 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:36 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am
No Roku for us yet -- I keep hoping they will support Chromecast... Or should Roku be significantly better than a Chromecast Ultra?
The channel isn't up yet so you're not missing anything. I'm sure Roku will be available once the channel officially starts.

picturizer

#56 Post by picturizer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:53 am

I signed up as "charter member" last night and can't find a criterion APP in apple tv APP store. Am I doing something wrong?

Oxidized

#57 Post by Oxidized » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:03 am

The channel has been up for over an hour. I've started five different films to confirm playback, explore, etc.

yunro

#58 Post by yunro » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am

I have it working on AppleTV and iPad, don’t see a Roku app yet.

flyonthewall2983

#59 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:56 am

At 6 this morning I tried logging onto the vhx site but it wouldn't let me pass. Slept on it a bit and tried again and it worked. I have an Amazon Fire TV app and so far the interface is good. Different which surprised me, but good.

dustybooks

#60 Post by dustybooks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 pm

The desktop version is now running. Search was a little buggy at first but seems better now.

unclehulot

The Criterion Channel

#61 Post by unclehulot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:18 pm

iPad version allows downloads for offline viewing! Pretty sweet. I found a few SD titles that don’t seem to scale properly to fill the screen on the Apple TV app. Like “Ariel”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fdm

#62 Post by fdm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:04 pm

About to try to get the Apple app. Was on Roku, only thing I could try was the VHX thing, and although it had lots of selections, none of them played on my tv (just like before since week #2 preview), so guess I'm waiting like everybody else for the real Roku app.

Oh and website, my monitor's quite old now, so I can't play any movies there, like I expected. Could with FilmStruck...

fdm

#63 Post by fdm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:40 pm

So Apple TV 4K still getting the same dropped frames every few seconds I was getting with FilmStruck. (On 1080p plasma.) Next stop: the Rokus... still waiting on the app.

Saturnome

#64 Post by Saturnome » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm on the desktop version. Any way to turn off subtitles on foreign films? The help page is talking about a "..." speech bubble icon next to the fullscreen icon, but I don't see it on any film I've tried.

JakeStewart

#65 Post by JakeStewart » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:47 pm

The Roku app is up and running now

DeprongMori

#66 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:29 pm

I’m still experiencing the same stuttering frames issue on Apple TV with the Criterion Channel app as I had been with the VHX app. Not surprising, as the Criterion Channel app is layered on top of VHX.

Has anyone yet found a way to report bugs/issues? I would have thought they’d have a support infrastructure in place for their launch.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#67 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:30 pm

You can hit "contact support" on the phone app. It brings up the e-mail address ottsupport+criterionchannel@vimeo.com, the subject line "Feedback on The Criterion Channel", and then a listing of:

Device:
Version:
App Version:

So if you're speaking to a specific app like Roku, etc, I would just write my own e-mail and say it's for the Roku app, etc.

alexrinse

#68 Post by alexrinse » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Watching on my Roku, very happy so far.

A fair few UX issues but I expect these would get straightened out in the next few weeks. Images look a bit weird/downgraded in the Roku app. Also, none of the extras appear when you go into a title that should have some, not an issue on the website itself.

On my android device using the browser, videos do not play.

I could have spent the whole evening wondering what to watch, so just pulled the trigger on the Jacques Demy docu. in the end. Best Monday in ages!
Last edited by alexrinse on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#69 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Only real observation I have about the channel on the 4K Roku is how low-res the thumbnail images look when browsing, presumably because of the fact that the text and layout of the channel is 4K then the thumbnails have to be stretched in order to fit. It's kind of a bummer.

schugh

#70 Post by schugh » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 pm

Hello, I was very excited to see the Criterion Channel startup today.
I subscribed early back in Feb. I think it was. I've been trying to get a hold of support during that time to confirm
if Android TV (i.e. NVidia Shield) would be supported.
I had a nagging suspicion that it might not be supported as I've run into this before before with another streaming service (Acorn TV).

I checked today and indeed disappointingly the app is not available on my Shield.

Does anyone know if it might be supported in the near future or how I can get a hold of support and ask them that.

I have three Shield boxes in the home including one in my main dedicated Movie room.
So this is very important for me.

I don't know why sometimes Android TV doesn't seem to be supported. I know there is some differences between normal Android OS and Android TV OS, but surely if so many other
streaming services can work on Android TV, I don't understand why others can't or won't.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

cvarrick

#71 Post by cvarrick » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Via the amazon firestick (which I purchased in the first place for filmstruck) I get the message:

“This device does not support secure video playback”

...when I try to play a film. Firmware is up to date. Anyone else having similar issues? I signed up for the year & followed instructions to insert code correctly, etc.

Thanks

jedgeco

#72 Post by jedgeco » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Is the Fire Stick plugged into an HDCP 2.2 compliant port?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#73 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Watching Mikey and Nicky now on a Roku and there's so much digital noise. So, so much. My first impression isn't a very positive one, never had image quality concerns like this with Filmstruck.

cvarrick

#74 Post by cvarrick » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 pm

jedgeco wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:07 pm
Is the Fire Stick plugged into an HDCP 2.2 compliant port?
Thanks for the reply...I'm not sure! But I'll try & find out. It's a Panasonic st-50, so about 5 years old.

dustybooks

#75 Post by dustybooks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:33 pm

I have to go and get a Roku tomorrow in order to watch this on my TV, but I've tested it on my laptop and iPhone (yeah, I know, I was on break from work) so far. iOS app looks pretty flawless, though of course that's on a tiny screen. Looks fine on my laptop in Chrome unless I set it to full screen, in which case it starts dropping frames. Weird. But I'm not too concerned just yet.