Fish and Cat (Shahram Mokri, 2013)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
swo17

Re: Fish and Cat (Shahram Mokri, 2013)

#26 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:31 am

Alright, I played the disc again on my computer with VLC Media Player and it was much more tolerable. It looked the best with Deinterlace set to "Blend," but I noticed that at some of the other settings it looked as bad as it had on my Oppo, so what I was commenting on before could just have to do with the Oppo's upscaling algorithm. It's a shame that a new DVD for a new film can't have a better encode, but I guess I'd just call the image mediocre instead of a disaster.

As for the film, what a wonderfully weird experience. I kind of want to watch it again right now if I didn't have work in the morning. It's a lot more low-key than might be suggested by zedz's reference to, say, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre earlier (in a sense, it could just be a really, really well orchestrated home video that some friends made one weekend), but maintains a nice eerie and mysterious feel throughout. Oh, and no one has mentioned the score, so I will just say: What a score!

jmj713

#27 Post by jmj713 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Criterion better jump on it!

Tommaso

#28 Post by Tommaso » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:11 pm

swo17 wrote:Alright, I played the disc again on my computer with VLC Media Player and it was much more tolerable. It looked the best with Deinterlace set to "Blend," but I noticed that at some of the other settings it looked as bad as it had on my Oppo, so what I was commenting on before could just have to do with the Oppo's upscaling algorithm. It's a shame that a new DVD for a new film can't have a better encode, but I guess I'd just call the image mediocre instead of a disaster.
Yep, I've just watched this and would agree that it looks atrocious on a regular player (mine is a Pioneer, and I'm not upscaling because I still watch on my old tube, which normally handles interlacing problems much better than most flatscreens I came across elsewhere). The picture problems are so bad that I actually suspected they had nothing to do with the transfer but might be a result of this having been shot on a not-exactly great digital video cam (I mean, Kiarostami's "Ten" also doesn't look good because of the technology used). But then I played the thing via VLC and most of the problems disappeared, as you say. Very, very strange. It must be an encoding problem then, but the encode isn't even interlaced but progressive, according to VLC's codec info. Curiously, on my standalone player there are no picture problems during the start and end credits, so perhaps there's a particular sensitivity towards the video technology in the film proper (and the PAL conversion might be a problem too)?

Anyway, despite of all this, I was baffled by the film itself. I don't know what to make of it yet, but it's complex and needs further viewings. The one-shot technique is used extremely effectively because it doesn't allow you to try to make sense of the film by interpreting the various 'repeats' just as flashbacks with different point-of-views regarding the characters. Instead, the film really creates the feeling of time being stuck either in a loop or the film being set in 'no time'. I'm not sure whether the genre references - twens in the woods, cannibalist restaurant owners - don't distract from the characters and their backstories and the possible philosophical implications of the 'eternal present', but that might just be my general dislike for the genre(s) the film plays with (rather than quotes). So, my first impression: a little bit like an Iranian Raoul Ruiz film.

swo17

#29 Post by swo17 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:57 pm

FerdinandGriffon wrote:
zedz wrote:On the other hand, it looks like Llinas' Extraordinary Stories might finally be getting a release after all these years, so miracles can happen!
How and where? I've been kicking myself about missing its brief run for three years now.
Not sure of the best thread to put this in, but Extraordinary Stories is finally available from Intermedio.

zedz

#30 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:59 pm

swo17 wrote:
FerdinandGriffon wrote:
zedz wrote:On the other hand, it looks like Llinas' Extraordinary Stories might finally be getting a release after all these years, so miracles can happen!
How and where? I've been kicking myself about missing its brief run for three years now.
Not sure of the best thread to put this in, but Extraordinary Stories is finally available from Intermedio.
Hallelujah! Maybe in another ten years we'll get, I don't know, Melody for a Street Organ, Paper Soldier and The Forsaken Land.

EDIT: But - no indication of English subs (and I'm sure there was mention of them when it was just listed as vaguely 'coming soon').

zedz

#31 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Intermedio have confirmed no English subs for Extraordinary Stories, alas. Paging SecondRun!

swo17

#32 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Que lastima