Warner Brothers Archive Collection (DVDs only)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection

#1501 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:09 pm

If this is what it takes for Warners to get their back-catalog out, by putting it in the hands of a film lovers who will do right by their titles, that's good enough for me!

flyonthewall2983

#1502 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm

criterion10 wrote:
Those bastards. After Videodrome, Crash might be my favorite Cronenberg film, so this is rather disappointing. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I wouldn't go bashing my head too much over this, because doesn't Jeremy Thomas still own the rights to it? I'd figure this release is a last-ditch effort by WB to get as much water from this stone as possible before a possible Criterion release (including Blu-ray, not like here). Could be wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it right now.

FrauBlucher

#1503 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Drucker wrote:If this is what it takes for Warners to get their back-catalog out, by putting it in the hands of a film lovers who will do right by their titles, that's good enough for me!
Agreed. This can't viewed as anything but a big positive. I've killed WB in the past so it's only fair that I raise a glass to them when they give us stuff like this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1504 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:24 pm

And again, Out of the Past looked real sketch on DVD, so they not only put it out, they clearly did some serious resto work on it and apparently it shows. Can't wait!

Adam X

#1505 Post by Adam X » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:19 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
criterion10 wrote:
Those bastards. After Videodrome, Crash might be my favorite Cronenberg film, so this is rather disappointing. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I wouldn't go bashing my head too much over this, because doesn't Jeremy Thomas still own the rights to it? I'd figure this release is a last-ditch effort by WB to get as much water from this stone as possible before a possible Criterion release (including Blu-ray, not like here). Could be wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it right now.
I like your wishful thinking.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1506 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:56 am

Drucker wrote:If this is what it takes for Warners to get their back-catalog out, by putting it in the hands of a film lovers who will do right by their titles, that's good enough for me!
Oh this is indeed quite positive, and it's always very nice to see a movie getting done such a good technical work.
But considering these are more "niche titles" commercially speaking, it's still strange to me that Out of the Past gets more care than say Transcendance or Training Day.

med

#1507 Post by med » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:46 am

tenia wrote: But considering these are more "niche titles" commercially speaking, it's still strange to me that Out of the Past gets more care than say Transcendance or Training Day.
The masses that generally buy the latter two films don't give a fig about bitrate. (And that's assuming they even know what bitrate is!)

ianthemovie

#1508 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 am

I don't know if this was ever mentioned, but the Warner Archive Crash is not pan and scan as was originally stated on their website. I received a copy in the mail yesterday and can confirm that it is in 1.78, includes both the NC-17 and R-rated versions, and looks generally good. It's no Criterion but is certainly a workable DVD edition.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1509 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 am

med wrote:
tenia wrote: But considering these are more "niche titles" commercially speaking, it's still strange to me that Out of the Past gets more care than say Transcendance or Training Day.
The masses that generally buy the latter two films don't give a fig about bitrate. (And that's assuming they even know what bitrate is!)
I guess so, but at some point, PQ could be impacted by a poor compression due to a low disc space given to the movie.
In the end, to sum up, it looks as if the niche products which won't sell a lot get better and more expensive releases than big sellers, which seems upside down marketing-wise (though Transcendance has a crappy PQ anyway which certainly won't prevent it to sell well anyway).

captveg

#1510 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:40 pm

New Release titles are hard to compare to catalog titles because there's such a difference in how they are prepped for release. The HD master is done prior to theatrical release rather than being prepped specifically for video; the marketing and authoring cost is tied to the box office returns rather than the potential video sales; etc.

Perkins Cobb

#1511 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:16 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Not sure why I'm posting this :roll: ......

This is Glenn Erickson's review of Out of the Past. His PQ reviews are always very limited to the most general of observations. So, take it with a grain of salt, because he dropped this little nugget for Children of Paradise:
Criterion's Blu-ray of Children of Paradise sparkles as never before thanks to Pathé's 2011 restoration, which was performed at 4K resolution.
But hopefully, Out of the Past does look as good as he suggests.
Glenn's a friend of a friend so I hate to say this, but he's totally useless in this regard. I've been burned by some horrible-looking discs that he recommended unreservedly.

Roger Ryan

#1512 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:41 am

captveg wrote:New Release titles are hard to compare to catalog titles because there's such a difference in how they are prepped for release. The HD master is done prior to theatrical release rather than being prepped specifically for video; the marketing and authoring cost is tied to the box office returns rather than the potential video sales; etc.
My understanding is the catalog division has always operated independently of the new release division with different authoring and quality control personnel for each. A decade back, most of the WHV catalog DVD releases looked superb whereas new big box office films like the HARRY POTTER series and THE DARK KNIGHT were riddled with compression artifacts and video noise.

rockysds

#1513 Post by rockysds » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:28 am

The Lusty Men, no blu-ray, [edit] but pressed.
Last edited by rockysds on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregory

#1514 Post by Gregory » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 am

From Feltenstein's Reddit AMA last year:
[Q:] I saw that there was a screening of Nicholas Ray's THE LUSTY MEN (1952) at ll Cinema Ritrovato in Bologna earlier this year that was advertised as being "restored by Warner Bros. in collaboration with The Film Foundation and The Nicholas Ray Foundation. Restored from the original 35mm camera negative using traditional photochemical methods".
First of all, thank you for preserving and restoring films like this for audiences both present and future. Secondly, are there any plans to release The Lusty Men on DVD or (hopefully!) Blu-Ray? Thanks.
[A:] YES! There are 35mm film elements being made at the lab (photochemically!) from the original negative from which we will be remastering. The last video master was done 30 years ago (what you see on TV) so we think it's about time! Thanks!
They did all that only to put it on a DVD-R? I'm glad if it will look better than the old TCM master, but what a waste of a new restoration of a unique film by Ray and Mitchum in their prime.

Ashirg

#1515 Post by Ashirg » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:39 pm

This film is newly remastered.

Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1516 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Well that is good news then!

WBShop's prices are awful right now and their codes not much better, but you can use WBVISA10 to get $10 off $50 -- of course, WBShop's raised the minimum for Free Shipping to $75, so buy ~$85 worth of WBShop goods to make it worthwhile. C'est la Archive

rockysds

#1517 Post by rockysds » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Yeah, I guess I jumped the gun, though they should put that info up to begin with. Still, as with Show Boat it seems like a wasted opportunity not to go blu as well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1518 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 pm

My copy of the Lusty Men has shipped out. I'll be sure to post some screencaps if I get it before the usual suspects beat me to it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1519 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Got my copy today and can confirm it's a pressed disc. Only did a cursory scan to take these caps but man does it look gorgeous:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1520 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:Image
To give a sense of the upgrade, here's the TCM rip that's been the only circulating copy in the interim:

Ashirg

#1521 Post by Ashirg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Previously lost Hello Pop short is now released by Warner Archive with 4 additional MGM Ted Healy and His Stooges shorts and Roast Beef and Movies (with lone Stooge Curly Howard) as Classic Shorts From The Dream Factory: Volume 3.

felipe

#1522 Post by felipe » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Image
To give a sense of the upgrade, here's the TCM rip that's been the only circulating copy in the interim:

The difference really is astonishing!

kristophers

#1523 Post by kristophers » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:08 am

ianthemovie wrote:I don't know if this was ever mentioned, but the Warner Archive Crash is not pan and scan as was originally stated on their website. I received a copy in the mail yesterday and can confirm that it is in 1.78, includes both the NC-17 and R-rated versions, and looks generally good. It's no Criterion but is certainly a workable DVD edition.
Any reason to get this if I already have the New line release? I've always been missing cover art for this one, so I might pick it up anyway.Looks like a blu-ray release is a ways away.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1524 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Best Foot Forward is the latest title to be demoted from pressed DVD to a DVD-R.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1525 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:30 pm

That's a good one worth tracking down on eBay as a pressed disc for sure, though it's been OOP for a while