Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

#301 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:15 pm

In cases like this, I believe anyone with eyes can be called an expert witness. It would take a miscalibration of biblical proportions to explain away the Beaver's caps re: color. Can the HTF crew please not blindly fall back on "Let's trust the professional" here?

Props55

#302 Post by Props55 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:41 am

David, while I've never seen the Fuller in 35 (the one 16 I've encountered looked decidedly Eastmany as does the DVD) you're correct in stating that Fox did commission 35 IB scope release prints beyond the initial scope introduction phase (THE ROBE, HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE) and I saw several in later double bills as a kid. BROKEN LANCE and GARDEN OF EVIL most notably. The former looks gorgeous and the latter pretty damn good in DVD. 16mm tech prints could be quite variable. Any imprecision in aligning the matrices were magnified by the narrower gauge and fringing was common. I can't now recall any outstanding Fox titles in the format but I've seen immaculate 16 IB tech prints of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, THE HANGING TREE, SAMSON AND DELILAH and EL CID both back in the day via non-theatrical rental and later in the collectors market. Surely some are still around to at least use as reference tools!

Re: DESK SET - the Thai screen caps are a red (or green, ... er ... make that a teal herring) as least as latched upon by "BK" (Batshit KrazY?). The DVD caps look like a properly timed color feature of the period would look upon initial release in lab fresh prints. Any extreme shift to red or blue (exclusive of specific design elements as illustrated by Mr. Hare's example of HELL AND HIGH WATER) in the spectrum generally indicates age related fading in Eastman based prints.

EddieLarkin

#303 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 am

Thanks for the new comments. Naturally I don't know what to think. My eyes tell me that it looks fine colour wise when taken on its own. That first solo cap I see and think "Nothing wrong there!". It's only when you put it up against the DVD that the stark difference becomes obvious. The DVD looks overly brown to me but the colour of specific objects looks stronger.

FrauBlucher

#304 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:40 pm

rockysds

#305 Post by rockysds » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:46 pm

captveg

#306 Post by captveg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 pm

The 300 Spartans (1962) has officially been rescheduled for a 2/25/14 release

captveg

#307 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Norma Rae (1979) on 4/1/14

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#308 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:46 pm

The DVD looks pretty bad but I assumed that was in part due to the film stock used-- will be interested to see how the Blu turns out

FrauBlucher

#309 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Looks like Fox did a very nice job.
Sunrise

manicsounds

#310 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Looks like Fox did a very nice job.
Sunrise
But for some reason they left off the 40 minute lost film documentary from the DVD? Looks like the UK disc is still a better choice.

Although, I just found this review at DVDMovieCentral says the 40 minute documentary IS on the new Fox BD.

FrauBlucher

#311 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm

I just got back from seeing the new restoration of My Darling Clementine. It is stunning. The detail, depth, contrast and blacks were spot on. A nice fine grain that was consistent throughout. The blu ray should look amazing. I'll assume and hope that Fox will release this themselves and not give it to you know who.

kingofthejungle

#312 Post by kingofthejungle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:37 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:I just got back from seeing the new restoration of My Darling Clementine. It is stunning. The detail, depth, contrast and blacks were spot on. A nice fine grain that was consistent throughout. The blu ray should look amazing. I'll assume and hope that Fox will release this themselves and not give it to you know who.
God, that's good news. Is the new restoration of the extended or theatrical cut? Either way, I'm stoked for a Blu-Ray release, but I've always slightly preferred the pre-release cut with the original ending.

FrauBlucher

#313 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:14 pm

What was the original ending? The film ran 104 minutes.

addition: Just read Wikipedia. Ford's ending is not the one in the restoration.

hearthesilence

#314 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:37 pm

No way! I don't think I've ever seen the movie without Ford's chosen ending, going back to 1993 when I first caught it on AMC (back when it resembled TCM today). The UCLA restoration seemed to permanently replace the butchered theatrical cut, and quite frankly I didn't mind.

FrauBlucher

#315 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 pm

SpoilerShow
From Wiki-Perhaps the most significant change is the film's ending; in Ford's original version, Earp awkwardly shakes hands with Clementine Carter. In the version released in 1946, Earp kisses her on the cheek..... I don't ever remember just a handshake. I always remembered a kiss on the cheek, which is what the ending is on the resto, along with Earp grabbing Clementines hand and giving it a slight shake and then mounting his horse.

hearthesilence

#316 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 pm

SpoilerShow
FrauBlucher wrote:From Wiki-Perhaps the most significant change is the film's ending; in Ford's original version, Earp awkwardly shakes hands with Clementine Carter. In the version released in 1946, Earp kisses her on the cheek..... I don't ever remember just a handshake. I always remembered a kiss on the cheek, which is what the ending is on the resto, along with Earp grabbing Clementines hand and giving it a slight shake and then mounting his horse.
Ah, ok, now I remember - I now recall seeing that ending, and the kiss ought to look terrible. By that, I mean it clearly looks like a shot done in a studio after-the-fact and then spliced into the scene, which otherwise was shot on-location. Do you remember the kiss looking like that?

What's sad is that UCLA's restoration wasn't even close to Ford's cut - too much of his excised footage could not be found again. So we didn't even get all the way there, and now it's another big step back.

FrauBlucher

#317 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:23 pm

It definitely looked like an odd cut.

kingofthejungle

#318 Post by kingofthejungle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:12 am

Hmm. The 104 min. cut should be the preview version, but the preview version doesn't have the kiss. The theatrical cut only runs 97 minutes. Maybe they got the runtime wrong in the press release?

John Doe

#319 Post by John Doe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:23 pm

The King Of Comedy blu-ray is scheduled for March 25, according to DVD Empire.

captveg

#320 Post by captveg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Same day as Parmount's release of The Wolf of Wall Street. Zero surprise there.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#321 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Notes on a Scandal coming to Blu. Of course it is, I recently bought the DVD

manicsounds

#322 Post by manicsounds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Just came out in the UK and Japan this week

captveg

#323 Post by captveg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Outside of licensing titles to Twilight Time and Criterion, it seems Fox has got into a groove of releasing a single catalog title from movies considered to be "Studio Classics" types on the first Tuesday of the month. Perhaps they'll increase that output in November/December when video sales peak, but if not that basically means 24 titles a year (12 Fox, 12 TT) plus any Criterion may release.

FrauBlucher

#324 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:47 pm

A couple of big "Studio Classics" still to come. My Darling Clementine, which just got a gorgeous restoration, and the Ox Bow Incident. I can see Fox wanting to release these two titles at the same time as a Henry Fonda connection.

Also, Snake Pit is part of the "Studio Classics" line. TT has said in the past this is not on their list. I guess it's up to Fox to release this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#325 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Peyton Place and the Best of Everything are no-brainers, hopefully they materialize soon. Also no idea why Fox US is sitting on the Long Hot Summer since it's out in Europe