30-32 The End of Civilization: Three Films by Piotr Szulkin

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.

AxeYou

Re: 30-32 The End of Civilization: Three Films by Piotr Szulkin

#27 Post by AxeYou » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks. What a deal!

rapta

#28 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:39 pm

Must've been a mis-price, but I locked it in at £17.99...anyone know if Rarewaves are known for cancelling mis-prices lately? I have got a few bargain pre-orders from them in the past, from memory, but not for a while.

(It's since up to £44.94 now btw, closer to the true RRP)

DeprongMori

#29 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:15 am

At 45:25 in War of the Worlds: Next Century (on the VS set) watch for a quick cameo of Piotr Szulkin and his cinematographer Zygmunt Samosiuk as inmates of the Night Residence.

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:43 am

Oh, bollocks - I should have flagged that up in my VS commentary! Especially since, if I remember rightly, I was actually talking about Samosiuk at the time.

(See also my lamentable failure to highlight the Taviani Brothers' two daughters - one per brother - in The Night of the Shooting Stars, which was particularly unforgivable since I was aware it was them and intended to mention it.)

DeprongMori

#31 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:06 pm

Do you know offhand whether the two men themselves are in that shot, or just their names? (Szulkin’s is Anglicized to “Peter Shulkin” with his birth year of 1950, in keeping with the film’s location conceit.) There is someone in the background who looks vaguely like photos I’ve seen of Szulkin, but appears to be in his 50s or older, whereas Szulkin would have been about 30 when this was shot.

MichaelB

#32 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:12 pm

There's a similar in-joke in Krzysztof Kieślowski's pretty much exactly contemporaneous Blind Chance, only this time it's his regular cinematographer Sławomir Idziak who gets namechecked. (I can't believe it's a coincidence, even though Idziak didn't shoot this particular film.)

MichaelB

#33 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:40 am

The specs of the Piotr Szulkin box have been updated. I've bolded the new additions.
• 2K restorations of each film supervised by Piotr Szulkin, DoP Witold Sobocinski, and sound engineer Nikodem Wolk-Laniewski with additional restoration work by Radiance Films, presented on three discs, on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK
• Uncompressed mono PCM audio
• New and improved English subtitles for each film by Dobrotka Więckiewicz
• Programme of complementary grotesque and absurdist short films
• Newly designed artwork based on artworks by celebrated artist Andrzej Pagowski
• Limited edition 80-page booklet featuring new writing by Michal Oleszczyk, Olga Drenda, Ela Bittencourt, Piotr Kletowski and Daniel Bird
• Limited Edition of 3000 copies, presented in a rigid box with full-height Scanavo cases for each film and removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings

WAR OF THE WORLDS: NEXT CENTURY

Samosiuk. The Independent Film Republic - a documentary on War of the Worlds cinematographer Zygmunt Samosiuk and his work, featuring interviews with Szulkin and Andrzej Wajda among others (Adam Lewandowski, 2012, 29 mins)
• PRL - Polish People's Republic Post-Apocalyptic Parables - a new video essay by Dobrotka Więckiewicz exploring Szulkin's rejection of the science-fiction label (2023)
• Labyrinth (Jan Lenica, 1963, 15 mins)
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork

O-BI, O-BA: THE END OF CIVILIZATION

Audio commentary by Michael Brooke (2023)
Retrofuturism - Interview featurette with production designer Andrzej Kowalczyk on creating the world of O-Bi, O-Ba (2023)
Cages (Miroslaw Kijowicz, 1967, 8 mins)
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork

GA-GA: GLORY TO THE HEROES

• Audio commentary by Daniel Bird (2023)
Sunday with Piotr Szulkin - An archival interview with Szulkin and writer Tadeusz Sobolewski in which the pair discuss the director’s films (2009, 21 mins)
Banquet (Zofia Oraczewska, 1977, 8 mins)
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork

All content subject to change

ikms

#34 Post by ikms » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:16 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:40 am
• Limited Edition of 3000 copies, presented in a rigid box with full-height Scanavo cases for each film and removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings

Audio commentary by Michael Brooke (2023)
Wonder how they got that guy? :wink: I can't think of any other examples of a commentator doing complimentary work for same-year sets on different continents... talk about driving the completist mad (do you have an updated list of your commentaries somewhere? Wonder what others I am missing)

Also see they bumped the run to 3000, both Szulkin and Messiah of Evil numbers had me perplexed at initial announcement (I predicted MoE would have sold 5000 by end-of-year conservatively), but it seems clear the pre-emptive VS release was the factor limiting it to 2000. Have to think Fran is second guessing demand after the Messiah of Evil own goal and whatever pre-order numbers are already in for the Szulkin.

Very excited for this one, sure it will make my top 5 list.

ryannichols7

#35 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:50 pm

oh wow I just realized the commentary isn't for the same movie.....and I was excited to not have to buy the region A release. I hope you get a good penny from the proceedings Michael!

this seems to be the most substantial extras wise of Radiance's boxes yet now, looking forward to it

Maltic

#36 Post by Maltic » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:57 am

Indeed, with the addition of 15k+ spoken words from MichaelB, Radiance has taken the lead in the extras arms race.

And now that there's 3000 LE's, I may have to spend on that cardboard and plastic, wouldn't want to wait for too long.

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:09 am

ikms wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:16 pm
(do you have an updated list of your commentaries somewhere? Wonder what others I am missing)
The list is here, drawn up in response to the last time I answered that question, and it's been updated ever since, most recently yesterday.

onedimension

#38 Post by onedimension » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:25 pm

If anyone's ordered this I'd love to hear first impressions on the visual quality. From the handful of screencaps, the Radiance has more detail - and they advertise Szulkin's restoration - which VS doesn't afaik.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:29 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:09 am
ikms wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:16 pm
(do you have an updated list of your commentaries somewhere? Wonder what others I am missing)
The list is here, drawn up in response to the last time I answered that question, and it's been updated ever since, most recently yesterday.
I think the unannounced Imprint Swedish film has been announced, no?

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:36 pm

It has - I've just updated it.

Bergman and the Tavianis were a welcome relief after Szulkin and especially Skolimowski! Actually, Szulkin wasn't that hard conceptually; there was just a lot of upfront research and fact-checking needed because these films are pretty much undocumented in English to any useful extent - it was Skolimowski who was the really tough nut to crack.

(I have no intention of ever tackling Godard, but I suspect the challenge would be similar, and indeed Godard and Skolimowski were mutual fans in the mid-1960s. Come to think of it, I can easily see a double bill of Barrier and Pierrot le fou working very well indeed.)

kuzine

#41 Post by kuzine » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:54 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:40 am
Rarewaves is selling this for $24 US.

https://www.rarewaves.com/collections/f ... tr-szulkin
So did anyone who ordered then receive this? I checked my order this week and only now noticed it was purportedly sent out back in August in a package with the rest of my order at the time. That package did arrive but of course didn't contain this pre release date. E-mailed them and was issued a refund since they no longer have stock.

AxeYou

#42 Post by AxeYou » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:26 pm

Sorry to hear that. I got lucky and did receive it last week in the US.

DeprongMori

#43 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:18 pm

kuzine wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:54 pm
What A Disgrace wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:40 am
Rarewaves is selling this for $24 US.

https://www.rarewaves.com/collections/f ... tr-szulkin
So did anyone who ordered then receive this? I checked my order this week and only now noticed it was purportedly sent out back in August in a package with the rest of my order at the time. That package did arrive but of course didn't contain this pre release date. E-mailed them and was issued a refund since they no longer have stock.
I had ordered The End of Civilization a while back along form Rarewaves with some other items. Due to the nature of how Rarewaves packing lists frequently do not match their shipments, it’s sometimes hard to tell whether an item was forgotten or just shipping separately. In this case I received the Szulkin set on Wednesday, about a 7-10 days later than the other items.

This happens pretty frequently with them, and only sometimes do things actually go astray.

kuzine

#44 Post by kuzine » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:19 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:18 pm
I had ordered The End of Civilization a while back along form Rarewaves with some other items. Due to the nature of how Rarewaves packing lists frequently do not match their shipments, it’s sometimes hard to tell whether an item was forgotten or just shipping separately. In this case I received the Szulkin set on Wednesday, about a 7-10 days later than the other items.

This happens pretty frequently with them, and only sometimes do things actually go astray.
Karma, as it was waiting on my doorstep when I got home. So as you say, the packing lists def do not match the shipments...

MichaelB

#45 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:21 am

swo17 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:16 pm
Apparently I've already seen a couple of Szulkin's shorts, The Singing Lesson (co-directed with Lindsay Anderson when Szulkin was only 17 :shock: )
The film that Szulkin made in 1972 as a Łódź film-school exercise is a totally different film from the documentary that Lindsay Anderson made for WFDiF in Poland in 1967 - the only thing they have in common is the title Raz, dwa, trzy, which translates as One, Two, Three.

therewillbeblus

#46 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:53 am

The War of the Worlds: Next Century is reminiscent of many a fascist-dystopian Man-Under-Microscope on-the-run flick, but it's remarkably transparent about its criticisms of Polish govt, even for a politically-provocative work! I didn't love this more pointed entry nearly as much as something as committedly-gonzo as Golem, in part because this film doesn't really differentiate itself all that much from 1984, Brazil, Naked Lunch/Videodrome, The Trial, etc. - each film as a relatively novel sense of atmosphere, and this one certainly lends effort to that, but the actual 'world-building' beyond detail doesn't ascend well-trodden material. Still, I had a good time - and Szulkin's little random inclusions (e.g. the boys engaging in roughhouse play with heightened power-imbalance games of masochism, kicking off the vibe of the film!) are always amusing, and give the film a sense of life that's unique