Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
pianocrash

Re: Identify This Movie

#1251 Post by pianocrash » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:58 pm

bottled spider wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 pm
A long time ago I saw on TV one scene from a movie that went like this: a woman is taken shopping by her fiancee's sister or mother, and while they are in a dressing room, the sister/mother's head briefly transforms into that of a snarling demon, then transforms back. Possibly some verbal threat is made. Afterwards the sister/mother acts like nothing happened. I seem to remember the sister/mother was black and upper class.
Tamara Tunie in The Devil's Advocate (1997)? The circumstances are close enough, but really I just never got this image out of my head:
SpoilerShow

bottled spider

#1252 Post by bottled spider » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:29 pm

That's it, I'm sure, thanks! Overall the reviews for it are positive. I'll see if I can fit it in for the Horror list project.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1253 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:32 pm

All I remember about it is Connie Nielsen’s terrible curly hair and Charlize Theron disrobing in church

bottled spider

#1254 Post by bottled spider » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Sold!

colinr0380

#1255 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:43 am

Don't forget the bookending courtroom scenes with Keanu Reeves intimidating a just post Welcome To The Dollhouse Heather Matarazzo on the witness stand to get her to recant her testimony of being abused!

I quite like Devil's Advocate too (especially because all of the tormenting of the wife while the husband is becoming more successful than ever, which takes up the bulk of the film, feels a bit Rosemary's Baby-ish), but of course the other big controversy about it at the time was that the film got sued for the sculpture and artwork in the climactic scene in Pacino's apartment looking too similar to that of an uncredited artist, and they had to remove any shots of it from the film, so what should be a very visible moment of figures writhing within the context of an artwork has all but the actors blurred out for legal reasons! Ironically the letter of the law came down heavily on the film about how devilishly devious big city lawyers are!

Noiretirc

#1256 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:58 pm

I've been tormented by this for what seems like decades, but it may have been sometime in the 80s when I saw this. Only vague foggy fragments exist in my mind. Thanks for any help that you might provide.

There are a group of people, including a child, travelling through some snowy, mountainous landscape. I believe it is set hundreds of years ago. Nightly, one person gets killed mysteriously. Various accusations fly. A head ends up on a pole. The end of the film closes in on the child's face.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#1257 Post by barryconvex » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:28 am

I'd like to know what that movie is too, noir. I remember a film I read about on this forum a few years ago about a group of five or so Japanese teenagers trapped at their school because of a storm-i think it was their school and I think it was a storm? Pretty sure it was in the 80s thread but I couldn't find it when I looked.

barryconvex

#1258 Post by barryconvex » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:32 am

bottled spider wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm
Sold!
Also worth watching for Al Pacino speaking in Chinese to the guy with the performing chicken.

colinr0380

#1259 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:51 am

barryconvex wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:28 am
I'd like to know what that movie is too, noir. I remember a film I read about on this forum a few years ago about a group of five or so Japanese teenagers trapped at their school because of a storm-i think it was their school and I think it was a storm? Pretty sure it was in the 80s thread but I couldn't find it when I looked.
Typhoon Club?

barryconvex

#1260 Post by barryconvex » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:06 am

Yeah, I think that's it. Thank you Colin.

jlnight

#1261 Post by jlnight » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Identify the film.
Identify the man in the middle.

dda1996a

#1262 Post by dda1996a » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:50 am

A film about a serial kidnapper who locks the women he kidnaps in his basement, changes their name to the same specific name (which I don't remember). When he locks them in the basement, it is in a chamber with a wooden door under the house's floor that has a small hole through which he speaks to them, and he covers the whole thing under the carpet in his house.
There is a scene I remember where he lets one of the women he kidnapped to take a bath, whereupon she tries to escape. He catches her and starts drowning her as punishment.
His latest would be victim is a blond girl he starts messaging online, to whom he sends multiple gifts to try to convince her to meet (I don't remember the outcome of this plot-line).

I'm afraid thats all the clues my memory can remember...

Ovader

#1263 Post by Ovader » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am

Anybody help to know this film's title?

muchogris

#1264 Post by muchogris » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Thats Criss cross with Burt Lancaster,

knives

#1265 Post by knives » Tue May 05, 2020 7:28 pm

This one scene popped up very strongly into my mind today. I think it's an American film set in New York, but I could be mistaken. Throughout the film there's been this very stressful financial situation for a family. Near the end it is revealed that the elderly mother has had enough money this whole time, but she has been compulsively hording it due to a hard life that's left her a skin flint. Her children chew her out and she starts screaming that they're stealing. It's a very involving emotional scene.

Roscoe

#1266 Post by Roscoe » Wed May 06, 2020 8:33 am

knives wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:28 pm
This one scene popped up very strongly into my mind today. I think it's an American film set in New York, but I could be mistaken. Throughout the film there's been this very stressful financial situation for a family. Near the end it is revealed that the elderly mother has had enough money this whole time, but she has been compulsively hording it due to a hard life that's left her a skin flint. Her children chew her out and she starts screaming that they're stealing. It's a very involving emotional scene.
There's a moment in TAKING WOODSTOCK where something similar happens.

knives

#1267 Post by knives » Wed May 06, 2020 8:51 am

Yep that's it. Weird Id have such a strong memory of that as I didn't particularly like the movie. Thanks.

Aunt Peg

#1268 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:50 am

When I was a child my parents took me to the drive-inn to see Number 96 (1974) which was a spin-off from a very popular TV sex and sin Australian soap opera. There was a second film shown afterwards which was some caveman like sex comedy and the female cast members were topless in the earlier scenes anyway because we left as I was tired and wanted to go home to bed. Does anybody know what that film may have been?

Whilst in was in English it would have been from virtually any Western country at the time. It may have been from the US or UK or a European country - at the age of 11 I would not have known if it was dubbed or not.

Mr. Deltoid

#1269 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:50 am
When I was a child my parents took me to the drive-inn to see Number 96 (1974) which was a spin-off from a very popular TV sex and sin Australian soap opera. There was a second film shown afterwards which was some caveman like sex comedy and the female cast members were topless in the earlier scenes anyway because we left as I was tired and wanted to go home to bed. Does anybody know what that film may have been?

Whilst in was in English it would have been from virtually any Western country at the time. It may have been from the US or UK or a European country - at the age of 11 I would not have known if it was dubbed or not.
Perhaps One Million AC/DC?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1270 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:30 am

50 000 BC (Before Clothing)?

or the 1971 Italian When Men Married Clubs and Women Played Ding Dong? (clip here)

Aunt Peg

#1271 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:17 am

Rayon Vert wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:30 am
50 000 BC (Before Clothing)?

or the 1971 Italian When Men Married Clubs and Women Played Ding Dong? (clip here)
Its bound to be one of those! Thanks so much. :D

Feego

#1272 Post by Feego » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 pm

I feel incredibly stupid asking this here, but it's been bugging me for days. I recall seeing a trailer in the 90s for a spoof movie that starred (I'm fairly certain) Leslie Nielsen. There's a scene where a woman is running toward a small hut up on a cliff in a romantic manner. Just as she arrives at the door, Nielsen (or whoever the lead actor was) opens it and obliviously knocks her off the cliff. This movie would have been released sometime in the early to mid 90s. I've watched the trailers for all of Nielsen's spoofs during this period but couldn't find that scene, so perhaps it's not one of his movies after all.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1273 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pm

It's from The Naked Gun 33⅓, and I'm not ashamed to admit I knew that from memory. I also vividly remember seeing that bit used in a trailer, cut to resemble a period romance; from some digging on Youtube it turns out it was a TV spot.

Feego

#1274 Post by Feego » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks so much, that's just as I remember it! I was starting to think I hallucinated it after watching all those trailers and seeing not a single moment of that gag.

tellmewhy

#1275 Post by tellmewhy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:34 am

Hi, I'd like help identifying this movie.

It's a French film, B&W. I think it was from the 30s, but it could have been from the 40s or 50s. Here's the plot (spoilers, obviously):

A young man lives in an apartment with his sickly mother, spinster aunt, and father. He stays out all night and the mother is so worried that she says she's going to die. He eventually returns and is cajoled into confessing that he has a girlfriend/fiance. Plans are made for the family to meet the girlfriend the next day. In the meantime she has told her boyfriend that she needs to break up with her sugar daddy. She does this, and it turns out he is the boys father. The meeting comes and she realizes who he is and out of shame says she can never see the son again (without telling him why). My memory of the rest of the film is a little bit less specific, but the son is despondent, somebody (the mother?) tries to kill herself with pills, the aunt confesses to the father that she has always been in love with him. I don't remember the ending but I think it somehow works out-- the girlfriend maybe returns at the father's behest as the son is on the verge of dying from a broken heart?

Despite all kinds of keyword searches and going through every French movie tagged on imdb as involving a "father-son love triangle" I have been unable to figure out the title of this movie.

I'm pretty sure I saw it an Anthology in the last year or year and half, if that's any use.

Thanks!