Cannes 2007

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Noir of the Night

#76 Post by Noir of the Night » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:29 pm

Anyone know if there are any websites that will sell prints of this year's poster?

zedz

#77 Post by zedz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:26 pm

miless wrote:
John Cope wrote:I appreciate that but the logic cuts both ways. For instance, the obvious reason Assayas' new film is not in official competition is due to Maggie Cheung's presence on the jury.
well then shouldn't My Blueberry Nights also not have been chosen?
There's a difference between a jury member having to judge the work of an ex-director and that of an ex-husband. In most cases, anyway.

alfons416

#78 Post by alfons416 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:19 am

I've read somewhere that some films would be added on monday (yesterday), where there ant films announced yesterday?

JabbaTheSlut

#79 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:15 pm

[quote]Cannes 2007 – Sweden
Roy Andersson confirmed in Un Certain Regard
Not only one but two excellent news for the Swedish film industry were announced today: Roy Andersson's highly anticipated You, The Living has been selected as part of Un Certain Regard and Anton Corbijn's Control co-produced by Hepp Film in Sweden with support from the Swedish regional film fund Film i Väst, will open this year's Directors' Fortnight.

This will be the third time that the iconic Swedish filmmaker will come to the Croisette. 30 years ago, he presented Giliap at the Directors' Fortnight and in 2000, he won a Special Jury Prize for his Songs From the Second Floor selected in official competition. His fourth feature film will again deal with the human condition and human behaviour as Andersson explained in the film's production notes: “You the Living breaks intentionally with the prevailing Anglo-Saxon film dramaturgy but is still a story about human existence,, about the business of being human, about human concerns, about human dreams and human sorrows…â€

Noir of the Night

#80 Post by Noir of the Night » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:57 pm

This is great, I was wondering why Andersson was nowhere to be found in the initial line-up.

miless

#81 Post by miless » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:58 pm

i didn't even know that Corbijn's Control got off the ground... good to see that it is done. (hopefully it's good)

Grimfarrow

#82 Post by Grimfarrow » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:06 am

I'm sure someone is even more pissed off now that Hou Hsiao-Hsien's and Roy Andersson's films have been relegated to Un Certain Regard...

Antoine Doinel

#83 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu May 03, 2007 8:51 am

From Variety:
Cannes unveils Classics program
Film greats Wayne, Brando honored
By ALISON JAMES

PARIS - John Wayne, Marlon Brando, Henry Fonda and Elaine May feature in the Cannes Film Festival's Cannes Classics program, unveiled Wednesday, while Martin Scorsese and Jane Fonda will be on hand to lend the event some star power.

Scorsese will give a press conference May 22 to launch the World Cinema Foundation, dedicated to the preservation of films from all over the world. He will introduce a screening of Ahmed Al Maanouni's 1981 Moroccan music film "Transes," one of three restored world cinema titles that will air during the fest. Walter Salles will present the Brazilian film "Limite," and Cristi Puiu will present the Romanian film "Forest of the Hanged."

In other parts of the program, "Hondo" (1953) and "Rio Bravo" (1959) will screen to mark the 100th anniversary of Wayne's birth, while Sydney Lumet's "Twelve Angry Men" will screen in a May 26 tribute to Fonda to be attended by Jane Fonda.

"Brando," by Leslie Greif and Mimi Freedman, features in the Classics' selection of four cinema docus, while Elaine May's "Mikey and Nicky" (1976) will air in the Classics' lineup of 10 restored films.

Event this year is placed under the patronage of Andrezj Wajda, who will attend for the screening of a restored copy of his film "Kanal," winner of Cannes' Special Jury Award in 1957.

CANNES CLASSICS 2007

Tributes

Andrzej Wajda
"Kanal" by Andrzej Wajda
Henry Fonda
"Twelve Angry Men" by Sydney Lumet

World Cinema Foundation launch

"Transes" by Ahmed Al Maanouni (Morocco, 1981)
Restored by the Cineteca di Bologna; introduced by Martin Scorsese
"Limit" by Mario Peixoto (Brazil, 1931)
Restored by the Cinemateca Brasileira, VideoFilmes, the Mario Peixoto Institute, with the participation of Arte France; introduced by Walter Salles
"Forest of the Hanged" by Liviu Ciulei (Romania, 1964)
Restored by the National Film Archive of Romania, introduced by Cristi Puiu

John Wayne Centenary

"Hondo" (3-D) by John Farrow (USA, 1953)
Film restored by Batjac Productions and Paramount; introduced by Gretchen Wayne
(Screening will be in the original conditions, i.e., projected in 3-D).
"Rio Bravo" by Howard Hawks (USA, 1959)
Film restored by Warner Bros.

Laurence Olivier Films William Shakespeare

Shakespearian trilogy presented by Granada Intl. as digital screenings
"Hamlet" (Great Britain, 1948)
Preceded by a Humphrey Jennings short documentary, "Words for Battle" (Great Britain, 1941), narrated by Laurence Olivier (restored by the British Film Institute)
Film restored by Granada Intl.
Presented by Fiona Maxwell
"Henry V" (Great Britain, 1944)
Film restored by Granada Intl.
Presented by Fiona Maxwell
"Richard III" (Great Britain, 1955)
Film restored by the Criterion Collection

Documentaries on Filmmaking

"Brando" by Leslie Greif and Mimi Freedman (USA, 2007)
A Greif Co. /TCM
"Maurice Pialat, L'amour existe" by Jean-Pierre Devillers, Anne-Marie Faux (France, 2007)
A Les Films du Worso
"Man of Cinema: Pierre Rissient" by Todd McCarthy (USA, 2007)
Deep Focus Productions
"Never Apologize: A Personal Visit With Lindsay Anderson" by Mike Kaplan (Great Britain, 2007)
A Travis Productions / Circle Associates

Selection of restored films and new prints:

"Israel Why" by Claude Lanzmann (Italy-France, 1972)
Restoration: Why Not Productions
"Bound by Chastity Rules" by Sang-Ok Shin (South Korea, 1962)
Restoration: Korean Film Archives
"My Last Mistress" by Sacha Guitry (France , 1943)
Restoration: Cin©math¨que fran§aise/Studio Canal
"Mikey and Nicky" by Elaine May (USA, 1976)
New print: Carlotta Films
"Escape From Yesterday" by Julien Duvivier ( France, 1935)
Restoration: CNC - French Film Archives/SND
"The Garden of the Finzi-Continis" by Vittorio de Sica (Italy, 1970)
Restoration: Ronald Chammah/AdVitam
"Suspiria" by Dario Argento (Italy, 1977)
Restoration: Luciano Tovoli/Wildside Films
"The Adventures of Prince Achmed" by Lotte Reiniger (Germany, 1926)
Restoration: Deustches Filmmuseum Frankfurt am Main
"Dracula" by Terence Fisher (England, 1958)
Restoration: British Film Institute/Swashbuckler Films
"Yo Yo" by Pierre Etaix
Restoration: Gan Foundation for Cinema

dadaistnun

#84 Post by dadaistnun » Thu May 17, 2007 3:08 pm

From the Cannes site:
[A]fter the ceremony of the steps for Wong Kar Wai's film My Blueberry Nights, in competition, German actress Diane Kruger will introduce the Opening Ceremony. This will be the occasion for the world premiere of Absurda, a short film made by David Lynch and dedicated to movie theatres as a surprise gift for the Festival, to mark its anniversary.
You can watch Lynch's film here.

Glass

#86 Post by Glass » Mon May 21, 2007 8:21 am

On this Dutch cinema website (or this link), you can click at the right under the audio/video section on several podcasts. The interviews are all taken in English (except for Anton Corbijn and 'het zusje'), and it shows small clips from featured films. For exemple, you can see some short scenes from No Country for Old Men of the Coen brothers in episode four (which shows a magnificent Bardem).

I wouldn't know how the live video coverage is in the U.S.A (and other countries), but there is no harm in sharing this, isnt there?

Antoine Doinel

#87 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon May 21, 2007 10:48 am

From IMDB:
Bored Polanski Storms Out of Cannes Conference

Revered moviemaker Roman Polanski has sparked a new controversy at the Cannes Film Festival after storming out of a press conference. The director grew restless during a tribute to the cinema and complained journalists were asking "empty" questions, before inviting fellow moviemakers including Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and Wim Wenders to join him in walking out. Polanski, whose film The Pianist won the top prize at the festival in 2002, joined 27 major directors who were taking part in the homage to the movies, dubbed "To Each His Own Cinema." When the conference's moderator announced that journalists had just two minutes left to ask their remaining questions, Polanski took the microphone and said, "It's a shame to have such poor questions, such empty questions." He then stood and said, "Frankly, let's all go and have lunch," before walking out.

yoshimori

#88 Post by yoshimori » Mon May 21, 2007 12:49 pm

Report from Cannes, mid-fest, in case you're not keeping up with Variety's or Cahiers' or whosever reviews:

The Wong (a director who's work I love) movie was very disappointing for me and my travel-buddies. His obsessions are becoming less lively and more pathetic. And it doesn't help for me that they're acted out in English in a way that seems way more emotive than usual.

Corbijn's Control looked great, every shot a mini-masterpiece and pretty idiosyncratically Corbijn.

The Honore was up and down, the Hou hsiao-hsien just down ... very far down.

Banishment is much better for me than The Return (which I didn't care for). Technically much more assured, but a total Tarkovsky (and other Russian master) rip-off. Still, recommended.

The Assayas is a mess, but a bizarre, wtf-engaging mess.

Kim Ki-duk's new movie is just as in-your-face unsubtle as his others. I enjoyed parts of it.

Sicko (humorously pronounced by the French as "Psycho") is just like F911 tactic-wise, but more professional looking.

van Sant's Paranoid Park is my favorite so far. Elephant-mode with expressive camerawork and lighting from Doyle, who seems to have got a second head of steam, thank goodness.

The Winterbottom movie about Danny Pearl kind of pissed me off. Angelie Jolie is distracting - it's all about the lips. Like a standard Hollywood movie with Winterbottom in handheld mode veneer.

The Pen-Ek Ratanaruang movie, Ploy, is creeping and sleep-inducing (in a kind of good way).

Chacun son cinema highlights were the Moretti (very funny), the Tsai, the Wong (if I could only subtract three or four shots), and Piccoli's perf in the Oliveira. The Cimino and Campion segments (and those of some others who it would not be fair to name since we really expect nothing from them) were embarrassments.

Missed the Coens film (which I'll see in the US anyway) and the Romanian competition film which many say was pretty good.

More later, perhaps.

Oedipax

#89 Post by Oedipax » Mon May 21, 2007 2:30 pm

yoshimori wrote:van Sant's Paranoid Park is my favorite so far. Elephant-mode with expressive camerawork and lighting from Doyle, who seems to have got a second head of steam, thank goodness.
Awesome, thanks for the report. Glad to hear van Sant's made another good film in a similar vein as the last three.

Any chance you'll be catching Korine's new one? Would love to hear the word on that one...

Don Lope de Aguirre

#90 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Mon May 21, 2007 4:02 pm

Here is the first review I could find

Antoine Doinel

#91 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon May 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Here's another.

patrick

#92 Post by patrick » Mon May 21, 2007 8:28 pm

Has anyone found a detailed report of the new uncut print of (Horror of) Dracula? I keep finding one line reviews saying it was fantastic, but nothing more.

Nothing

#93 Post by Nothing » Tue May 22, 2007 11:38 am

Sigh, 'rapturous critical reception' to Death Proof just about sums up the state of Cannes journalism... Especially on the day of the premieres of the new Korine/Reygadas movies. Sigh....

yoshimori

#94 Post by yoshimori » Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Sigh, 'rapturous critical reception' to Death Proof just about sums up the state of Cannes journalism
If the conversations I've overheard standing in line here are any indication, french journalists/critics are almost as generally retarded as American ones! (Sorry to beat a dead horse.)

Still, according to "le film francais" "major" critics poll, so far, it seems the Coens' movie's got the best critical response. I, of course, skipped that film because I'll see it soon enough back in LA. Tonight, for me and mine, Tarr and Korine. This afternoon, we saw the Seidl - Import/Export - which was very well made but a bit tedious. Lots are well composed wide shots of women's assholes. (No kidding.)

tavernier

#95 Post by tavernier » Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 pm

yoshimori wrote:This afternoon, we saw the Seidl - Import/Export - which was very well made but a bit tedious. Lots are well composed wide shots of women's assholes. (No kidding.)
And you found it tedious??? :roll:

The Fanciful Norwegian

#96 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue May 22, 2007 12:33 pm

Such are the risks of using Tinto Brass as your second unit director.

BusterK.

#97 Post by BusterK. » Tue May 22, 2007 3:31 pm

yoshimori wrote:
Sigh, 'rapturous critical reception' to Death Proof just about sums up the state of Cannes journalism
If the conversations I've overheard standing in line here are any indication, french journalists/critics are almost as generally retarded as American ones! (Sorry to beat a dead horse.)
I don't get it, Death Proof got a favourable reception by american critics, is that why they're retarted? :wink:

David Ehrenstein

#98 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue May 22, 2007 4:36 pm

van Sant's Paranoid Park is my favorite so far. Elephant-mode with expressive camerawork and lighting from Doyle, who seems to have got a second head of steam, thank goodness.
This is Gus' second time with Doyle -- who shot his great Psycho remake.

Nothing

#99 Post by Nothing » Wed May 23, 2007 12:08 am

Any thoughts on Mister Lonely? There seem to be zero reviews, which is just plain odd as all the other films from that day have been covered already. Was the screening pulled or something?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 23, 2007 12:16 am