Turner Classic Movies

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Matt

Re: Turner Classic Movies

#801 Post by Matt » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:40 pm

These are usually so tasteful, I wonder whose idea it was to feature an acrobat this time around.

fdm

#802 Post by fdm » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:54 am

Must be to keep the kids from getting bored.

TechnicolorAcid

#803 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:08 am

I guess you could say they soared too high and missed the other trapeze.
(I'm sorry that was terrible, you should never speak ill of the dead).

FrauBlucher

#804 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:25 am

I just watched Impact (1949) which I had DVR'd over the summer that was on Noir Alley. It was a tale of two halves. The first half was solid. Helen Walker was playing Brian Donlevy like a fiddle in typical femme fatale fashion. And everything was playing out with suspense and nourish dread. Then the second half rolls around and it gets a bit preposterous. Brian Donleavy's character unnecessarily lies to police to set up his arrest. Ella Raines' character turns into Nancy Drew and Charles Coburn becomes her Dr. Watson. Then the final scene is anti climatic. It seems like the screenwriting duo ran out of steam. Oh well. It's too bad. I was enjoying it.

therewillbeblus

#805 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:19 am

A few of us have written it up - and I believe domino is a much more fervent champion of it than I am - but at about twice the length of some noirs, it's bound to frustrate! I've come around to seeing that temporal elasticity as a strength, and finding pleasures in watching characters responding to various stimuli in real time, but this was my first reaction to the last stretch:
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:21 pm
The last act was peculiar in how the film could have ended sooner, and more tightly, but was drawn out by meditating on the consequences from the femme fatale’s manipulations through standard courtroom and detective processes a bit more banal than usual. However, surprisingly the banality made the narrative choice more effective and fit with the spacious climate and doses of reality established already in the small-town scenes.

Black Hat

#806 Post by Black Hat » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:44 pm

It happens occasionally but, the digital image breakup on TCM the past few days has been non-stop, never been this bad. Anybody know what's going on?

bottlesofsmoke

#807 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:52 pm

I don’t know what’s going on with them. The app has been a mess the last couple of days. I’ve had the audio go out of synch every couple of minutes on some movies, some won’t play at all, others will play a few minutes before stopping. Movies are “added” to the library already expired and the usual banner posters on the front page are blank. Maybe they are in the process of updating or relaunching the app, hopefully it’s not because they laid off the people who make it work.

Matt

#808 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:05 pm

I’ve seen a few screen freezes using the app where the image stops but the audio keeps playing, but the audio simply going out of sync with the image is what’s been plaguing me.

I’ve also noticed that films are just missing from the schedule. The printable calendar lists everything, but you’ll open up the app and it just says “TCM East Live Feed” instead of the title of the movie. And if you look it up on the online schedule, it’s just not listed at all, like the schedule just jumps from 10 pm to 2 am.

FrauBlucher

#809 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:42 pm

I've been watching via regular cable (Fios) and haven't seen any issues

Matt

Turner Classic Movies

#810 Post by Matt » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:58 pm

TCM’s annual 31 Days of Oscarstarts tomorrow, February 9. Timed this year to end when the Oscars air instead of stretching out beyond that date as usual.
Last edited by Matt on Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrauBlucher

#811 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:36 pm

My least favorite TCM ritual

FrauBlucher

#812 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:03 pm

I watched another Noir Alley sitting in my DVR queue from last year. Flamingo Road was entertaining if somewhat flawed. Sydney Greenstreet was deliciously sinister. He made the film. Joan Crawford on the other hand tried to do a Barbara Stanwyck impersonation. The part wasn't really up Joan Crawford's usual alley. Every time Crawford seems to become that evil, strong Crawford she was known for she steps back into the unassuming character that was Lane Bellamy. Crawford just doesn't do soft well

Black Hat

#813 Post by Black Hat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:43 pm

Flaming Road is really good! On its face, you'd think Greenstreet would be ridiculous playing that character, but he's amazing! I get what you're saying about Crawford, but I think she was surprisingly vulnerable in this role, I bought in. My bigger issue was buying into Crawford's intoxicating sexuality, but still, this is a gem of a film.

FrauBlucher

#814 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:36 pm

That's it! Her vulnerability to me just doesn't resonate. I feel like she can never be vulnerable enough without her edginess sticking out. Barbara Stanwyck on the other hand always feels like whatever her emotion is is full on. And I'm not saying I don't like Crawford. I love her. Mildred Pierce is one of my faves from that era. There is no one on a par with her when she's in full bitchiness mode

Black Hat

#815 Post by Black Hat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:31 pm

ha, and I never completely buy into Stanwyck being vulnerable. What's a good example you'd recommend I see?

Morgan Creek

#816 Post by Morgan Creek » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 pm

Remember the Night, The Bitter Tea of General Yen, Stella Dallas, There's Always Tomorrow, The Lady Eve, for starters

TechnicolorAcid

#817 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:21 pm

Also at the climax of Double Indemnity, which is otherwise one of her more sinister roles.

bottlesofsmoke

#818 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:49 pm

Morgan Creek wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 pm
Remember the Night, The Bitter Tea of General Yen, Stella Dallas, There's Always Tomorrow, The Lady Eve, for starters
These, plus Ladies of Leisure and All I Desire. Early Capra and Sirk definitely brought out that side of her very well. Her performance in The Bitter Tea of General Yen is really something remarkable.

therewillbeblus

#819 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:24 am

Black Hat wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:31 pm
ha, and I never completely buy into Stanwyck being vulnerable. What's a good example you'd recommend I see?
I can see what you mean, but Remember the Night might be an exception, at least within the artifice of the studio-era holiday dramedy. Or maybe it's because I never completely buy Fred MacMurray being decent, so her humanity shines through more smoothly simply by contrast

Jonathan S

#820 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:07 am

Sorry, Wrong Number is probably the most explicit and prolonged example of Stanwyck at her most psychologically and physically vulnerable, yet still preserving that gritty defiance she did so well. I think the most electrifying Stanwyck moments are when she simultaneously breaks down while hurling out invective, e.g. her angry, tearful speech that gradually ascends into near-hysteria at the opening of The Miracle Woman. She understood very early in her career that emotions don't come in tidy discrete packages. These moments are like an orchestral symphony where competing themes synthesise into an overwhelming climax.

DeprongMori

#821 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:05 am

My favorite “strong and centered, but emotionally open and vulnerable” role for Stanwyck is another pairing with Fred MacMurray — Douglas Sirk’s There’s Always Tomorrow (1956).

Black Hat

#822 Post by Black Hat » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:44 pm

I've seen all those, minus Sorry, Wrong Number, and either don't see those roles as playing vulnerability (The Lady Eve) or don't buy her character's vulnerability. It always feels a bit put on because her characters want something (There's Always Tomorrow) or are so hysterically melodramatic (Stella Dallas) that you don't buy it. The more believable one, as TWB pointed out, is Remember the Night but, again, her character is desperate.

FrauBlucher

#823 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:25 pm

Remember the Night was one of them that I was going to suggest. Because she was desperate for acceptance that doesn't count for being vulnerable? I also think Ball of Fire and Christmas in Connecticut are films where her characters are tough broads but she shows a softness that opens up to a vulnerability that does seem genuine. I don't see Joan Crawford in neither one of these roles. It just wouldn't be believable. She is a one trick pony. It's a wonderful one trick. But it's one trick. And that was my problem with Flamingo Road even though I enjoyed the film.

FrauBlucher

#824 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:59 pm

Pulp Fiction is the opening night film for the festival. :shock: I can't wait till they program it on the channel where it's sandwiched between National Velvet and Please Don't Eat the Daisies

FrauBlucher

#825 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:07 pm

Le Samourai is on Noir Alley tonight. It'll be interesting to see if the new restoration is used