Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Streaming Services

#51 Post by ando » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:40 am

ando wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:23 am
Ando, please post your experience with that service. I am very curious as I will be cutting my cable at some point soon
👍
So I've perused the YouTubeTV app (which I now have on a few devices) and even at the $50/month price I think it's a good value - especially if you live in a major market and are without cable. It features several major news networks, all of which are more entertainment in my eyes, and quick access to more live raw financial/world news stations found on YouTube like Bloomberg (thank goodness). But the big players (Fox, CSNBC, CNN, BBC, ABC, NBC, CBS) are all there.

The sports channels (ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, MLB, don't really watch hoops or hockey but basketball is certainly represented), including local channels which regularly air local sport team games (YES & SNY here in New York) are really the selling points for me.

They also have AMC, TCM and a few other streaming non-premium movie channels with dozens of selected features to watch anytime but it can't compare to the offerings from the major tv/movie/original content services. Nevertheless, there are enough movies spread across the various channels to placate even the critical standards of Criterion Collection followers. But it's merely an added (not terribly substantial) perk.

In general, I loathe American television so I can't give an astute account of the offerings across the channels but I tapped "Shakespeare" in their search field (which, oddly, triggers the cable channel lineup) as a lark and was surprised to get Will, the TNT series about the young bard. Not expecting much, frankly, but it's the only way I'll ever see it!

There is one Spanish language channel, Universo, is thrown in the mix. I would have preferred Univision or Telemundo but this one looks adequate for now.

And lastly, the DVR (recording programs for later viewing) option is easy to program and playback. None of it, however, is downloadable​. But there's no limit to the amount used for cloud storage. It probably seals the deal for many wondering about access to their favorite popular shows. And masochistic sports fans who want re-live home team defeats after hearing the scores at work.

FrauBlucher

#52 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Ando, Thanks for the update. Sounds great. I’m pretty much in the same boat with you. The NY sports channels, TCM along with the local network affiliates are what I’m most interested in. Then I’ll add the Criterion Channel and my universe will be set.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#53 Post by ando » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:01 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:20 pm
Ando, Thanks for the update. Sounds great. I’m pretty much in the same boat with you. The NY sports channels, TCM along with the local network affiliates are what I’m most interested in. Then I’ll add the Criterion Channel and my universe will be set.
:lol: You're Welcome. I haven't quite figured out the programming format for the MLB channel during live play but it looks like they're streaming marquee matchups from around the league. But, yeah, YES (Yankees) and SNY (Mets) telecasts persuaded me to sign up.

dadaistnun

#54 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm

NYPL is dropping Kanopy effective July 1.
We are saddened to inform you that the New York, Queens, and Brooklyn Public Libraries have decided to discontinue Kanopy's film streaming service to its patrons, effective July 1, 2019.

Film as a public resource is a critical part of New York’s culture and communities. We have enjoyed furthering the New York City libraries’ mission of providing open access to knowledge through our diverse and exclusive slate of 19,000+ thought-provoking films — from The Criterion Collection and The Great Courses to Frederick Wiseman documentaries and award-winning favorites like MOONLIGHT, LADY BIRD and I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO.

We are proud of the degree to which the New York community so strongly embraced Kanopy, and although we are disappointed by this decision, we understand that New York City’s libraries’ current priorities lie with other programs that also advance their mission.

We are grateful for these libraries’ support of Kanopy for the past several years and we will continue to work with them to explore opportunities to partner again in the future. Until then, we hope we left you with an experience that enriched, inspired, and challenged your perspectives.

Thank you for your patronage and support and we hope to connect with you again soon!

Sincerely,

Olivia Humphrey
CEO, Kanopy

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#55 Post by ando » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:35 pm

dadaistnun wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm
NYPL is dropping Kanopy effective July 1.
We are saddened to inform you that the New York, Queens, and Brooklyn Public Libraries have decided to discontinue Kanopy's film streaming service to its patrons, effective July 1, 2019.

Film as a public resource is a critical part of New York’s culture and communities. We have enjoyed furthering the New York City libraries’ mission of providing open access to knowledge through our diverse and exclusive slate of 19,000+ thought-provoking films — from The Criterion Collection and The Great Courses to Frederick Wiseman documentaries and award-winning favorites like MOONLIGHT, LADY BIRD and I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO.

We are proud of the degree to which the New York community so strongly embraced Kanopy, and although we are disappointed by this decision, we understand that New York City’s libraries’ current priorities lie with other programs that also advance their mission.

We are grateful for these libraries’ support of Kanopy for the past several years and we will continue to work with them to explore opportunities to partner again in the future. Until then, we hope we left you with an experience that enriched, inspired, and challenged your perspectives.

Thank you for your patronage and support and we hope to connect with you again soon!

Sincerely,

Olivia Humphrey
CEO, Kanopy
No!!!!!!! :( Leaving us with NO alternative for streaming Shakespeare (for example). Completely wrongheaded. Prayers for a backlash. My letter (however futile) is on its way.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#56 Post by ando » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Here's a thoughtful Film Quarterly piece on kanopy, costs and libraries published earlier this year.

thirtyframesasecond

#57 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Ahem, as a librarian who HAS worked with Kanopy, the pricing model just isn't sustainable. Not when you bear in mind how much academic journals are (which we hilariously pay for TWICE - our academics write the articles for nothing and we have to then pay to subscribe - OR we can make them open access e.g. free at the point of use - and this costs us an additional fee, so we still pay twice). Publishers and the likes of Kanopy take universities and seemingly, public libraries for a ride.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#58 Post by ando » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:58 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:26 pm
Ahem, as a librarian who HAS worked with Kanopy, the pricing model just isn't sustainable. Not when you bear in mind how much academic journals are (which we hilariously pay for TWICE - our academics write the articles for nothing and we have to then pay to subscribe - OR we can make them open access e.g. free at the point of use - and this costs us an additional fee, so we still pay twice). Publishers and the likes of Kanopy take universities and seemingly, public libraries for a ride.
Quite. I had no idea kanopy was ripping off libraries to this extent. Old news to you all (who work in library systems) but kind of shocking to the average patron (like me). I always wondered why kanopy limited patrons to 10 titles per month. Apparently kanaopy is charging upwards of $3 per viewing!

Nonetheless, it's a big loss for all parties, especially patrons, who will not find a similar service elsewhere. And the NYPL is not providing alternative suggestions. To Amazon we go!???
Last edited by ando on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#59 Post by knives » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:03 pm

I could see them going for Hoopla which my library has and which seems to be more affordable, it has 10 titles a months while Kanopy only is licensed for 4.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#60 Post by ando » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:05 pm

knives wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:03 pm
I could see them going for Hoopla which my library has and which seems to be more affordable, it has 10 titles a months while Kanopy only is licensed for 4.
kanopy has a 10 feature limit here in New York also (for the 6 days remaining) but I'll look into Hoopla. Thanks.

knives

#61 Post by knives » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 pm

I just meant that for my library to have a smaller limit suggests a higher cost. Hoopla doesn't have as good a selection, but it is better than nothing.

thirtyframesasecond

#62 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 am

ando wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:58 pm
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:26 pm
Quite. I had no idea kanopy was ripping off libraries to this extent. Old news to you all (who work in library systems) but kind of shocking to the average patron (like me). I always wondered why kanopy limited patrons to 10 titles per month. Apparently kanaopy is charging upwards of $3 per viewing!

Nonetheless, it's a big loss for all parties, especially patrons, who will not find a similar service elsewhere. And the NYPL is not providing alternative suggestions. To Amazon we go!???
TBH I don't even know why NYPL provided these films in the first place! Kanopy must have offered a sweet deal, then when demand grew, jacked up the price. In unis, it's different. Kanopy may hold exclusive rights to films that faculty use in teaching, so we're bounced into buying them - and we have to weigh up $300-400 for a DVD that might get watched once, over the streaming licence Kanopy offers (around £90 after four streams, e.g. 30 seconds, per year). What do we think provides better value (answer, neither probably)? In the UK, Kanopy was adopted by a number of unis, but I know they're rolling back; not opening the whole platform up, but licensing either niche collections or individual films as and when. Kanopy will have to review things.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#63 Post by ando » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:57 am

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 am
TBH I don't even know why NYPL provided these films in the first place!
Achem, because, for starters, the videos provided are an excellent teaching tool. It's been a great resource for teachers assigning readings/performances of Shakespeare, for example. Aside from attending a live professional production, rare here in The States, it's the best way for students to initially encounter his work. No other streaming service of which I'm aware offers access to viewing all 37 plays.

Secondly, much of the content provided is educational; it's the whole point. The fact that it came with no direct cost to patrons is secondary. I think most New Yorkers wouldn't mind a modest fee for the service for the simple fact that much of the content is unavailable to stream elsewhere (YouTube, a very poor alternative).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#64 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:44 pm

If their Twitter account is to be believed, it sounds as though A24 is launching a streaming service, which... how's that gonna work?

FrauBlucher

#65 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Do they even have enough content?

Jack Kubrick

#66 Post by Jack Kubrick » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:09 pm

I hear the streaming service will be "public access".

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#67 Post by ando » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:04 am

Currently on Amazon Prime Video...
Flickers (1980, Cyril Coke)
Not sure how long it's running but even if you don't have APrime get the trial and check out this British mini-series about a rough and uncooth entrepreneur, his miss-match of a spouse and a carnival of characters who attempt to make a go of start-up silent film company. Fun.

thirtyframesasecond

#68 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:15 am

ando wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:04 am
Not sure how long it's running but even if you don't have APrime get the trial and check out this British mini-series about a rough and uncooth entrepreneur, his miss-match of a spouse and a carnival of characters who attempt to make a go of start-up silent film company. Fun.
Not in the UK alas, but it is written by the same guy who wrote Keeping Up Appearances!!

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#69 Post by ando » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:55 am

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:15 am
ando wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:04 am
Not in the UK alas, but it is written by the same guy who wrote Keeping Up Appearances!!
Indeed; Roy Clarke's Young Hyacinth is tempting but the old one is plenty, thank you.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#71 Post by ando » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am

Thanks. May go with a trial. Sounds similar to YouTubeTv in terms of network/cable prgramming save crucial (to me) affiliates that carry local sports teams and ESPN (can't recall whether or not FOX Sports will be included).

Whilst looking online (in vain) for Dick Cavett's interview with Polanski and Ken Tynan on the (then) recently recently released Macbeth (1971) found on the Criterion edition which I do not own I discovered APrimeVideo appears to have Cavett's entire series. The demise of Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley has left a major hole in the television stratosphere of extended semi-literate interviews of notable/influential personalities. Of course, there's always C-Span or Democracy Now but even that programming is hit or miss on that score - and, here again, searching through archives often proves more rewarding than viewing more recent material.

flyonthewall2983

#72 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm

ando wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am
Thanks. May go with a trial. Sounds similar to YouTubeTv in terms of network/cable prgramming save crucial (to me) affiliates that carry local sports teams and ESPN (can't recall whether or not FOX Sports will be included).
Sling is pretty decent with it's sports packages I seem to recall. ESPN, Fox and NBC sports channels.

My hope is that this new thing from Warner doesn't keep something like TCM at the high-end price range. Disney's 6.99 deal hopefully has made them re-think that if it was ever the case.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#73 Post by ando » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm
ando wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am
Sling is pretty decent with it's sports packages I seem to recall. ESPN, Fox and NBC sports channels.

My hope is that this new thing from Warner doesn't keep something like TCM at the high-end price range. Disney's 6.99 deal hopefully has made them re-think that if it was ever the case.
No ABC, CBS, YES or SNY (New York local sports stations), though. Didn't read anything about a DVR function either. Perhaps they'll all be added. Got a year before its launch.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#74 Post by ando » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 am

If you're into serious takes on Elizabethan England this 3 part mini-series currently streaming on APrimeVideo about the biggest threat to the isle during Queen Bess' reign, Armada (2015), will no doubt entertain. It's a mixed bag of historian commentary, re-enactment, war room strategizing and well... hyperbole, but nicely done.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#75 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:46 pm