Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
jlnight

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#976 Post by jlnight » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:04 am

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Sat 18th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 22nd Apr.
The Conversation, Sat 18th Apr, BBC2.

The Gypsy Moths, Wed 22nd Apr, Sony Movies Classic.

The Oblong Box, Thu 23rd Apr, Sony Movies Classic.

Man Friday, Fri 24th Apr, London Live. (edit to post!)
Women in Love, Fri 24th Apr, Sony Movies Classic. Or...
Little Fauss and Big Halsy, Fri 24th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 2nd May.

colinr0380

#977 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:00 am

Quiet next week (aside from the ongoing series of Twin and Devs) but there are a couple of big films in The Sense of an Ending on BBC2 at 9.15 p.m. on Saturday 18th, and then tucked away on ITV2 at 4.30 p.m. on Sunday 19th is The Lego Batman Movie. Even more tucked away on E4 at 10.45 a.m. on Saturday 18th is the Spanish-US CGI animation Tad The Explorer and The Secret of King Midas.

Along with The Conversation on BBC2 (straight after The Sense of an Ending), BBC1 have a rare classic film showing on Sunday 19th with The Deer Hunter at 10.30 p.m., which is the first time the film has been on the BBC for a long time after being shown on Film4 or Channel 4 in the past. It is almost as if they think that people will not have to get up for work in the morning so they actually have to start showing films now, and the longer the better!

EDIT: Oh and I caught the premiere of Rough Night on Channel 4 last Saturday evening, which felt as if it was kind of a gender swapped companion piece to Very Bad Things.

jlnight

#978 Post by jlnight » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 am

Bugsy, starts Sat 25th Apr, Sony Movies Classic. Or...
Up the Junction, Sat 25th Apr, Talking Pictures. Or...
Love and Mercy, Sat 25th Apr, BBC2.

This Property is Condemned, Sun 26th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 29th Apr. Or...
The Elephant Man, Sun 26th Apr, BBC1.

colinr0380

#979 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:48 am

Rather quiet next week. jlnight notes the only big film in Love and Mercy showing at 10.15 p.m. on BBC2 on Saturday 25th. Though the other interesting thing is The Price of Everything at 9 p.m. on BBC4 on Monday 27th, which is the latest film by Nathaniel Khan, who directed previous documentaries My Architect (about his architect father) and that infamous 'mockumentary' that came out around the time of The Village, The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan.

BBC4 is also showing four half hour programmes at 7.30 p.m. from Monday 27th to Thursday 30th called "Museums in Quarantine", featuring Alastair Sooke on the Andy Warhol exhibition at the Tate Modern; Simon Schama 'virtually touring' the Young Rembrandt exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford; Dr James Fox on Tate Britain's collection; and Kanina Ramirez on the artifacts collected in the British Museum.

Rick and Morty is starting back up on E4 on Thursday 7th May. And I note that Channel 5 have started to repeat The Golden Girls during the weekday afternoons, which seems particularly awkward timing! Maybe they just want to remind us of what the elderly look(ed) like?

jlnight

#980 Post by jlnight » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:22 pm

The Fan (1981), Fri 1st May, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 4th May.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Sat 2nd May, BBC2. Or...
Highlander, Sat 2nd May, Horror.

King Creole, Sun 3rd May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 6th May.

Heart of Britain (short), Mon 4th May, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 8th May.

David Stratton's Stories of Australian Cinema starts on Sun 3rd May, BBC4.

colinr0380

#981 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:37 pm

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society always strikes me as the 2010s overly wordy and unwieldy title to match The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill, But Came Down A Mountain back in the 1990s. The kind of cruel joke, tongue twisting title that the presumably intended elderly audience in search of nostalgia for simpler times would never be able to remember, let alone be able to tell the title to others!

That Stories of Australian Cinema programme seems quite interesting too. I note that David Stratton also reviewed the The Guernsey Potato Pie Eating Dead Literary Poet Society too!

thirtyframesasecond

#982 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:02 pm

I hope BBC4 follows this up with some Australian cinema; some early Peter Weir, Fred Schepisi or Bruce Beresford would be nice.

colinr0380

#983 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:39 pm

How's Stratton on Ozploitation? Alvin Purple, Mad Dog Morgan, Don's Party (NSFW) et al? I actually have a picture of myself at 4 or 5 years old where I have a hairstyle and chubby face that makes me momentarily look exactly like Nicole Kidman in BMX Bandits! Sadly our looks diverged quite dramatically after that, probably thankfully so for Ms Kidman!
___
"Once you get into the lobby, you never get out again"

The Price of Everything was fascinating and appalling in equal measures. Never has the 'dealer' aspect of the many different art dealers interviewed felt so close an analogy to drug dealing. You have the suppliers (those who physically produce the product but do not share in the profits) and those with the money to buy the product. There are even different levels of intermediaries from personal shopper-style art enthusiasts who know their stuff and provide their client with the intimate confidence that they are buying the best stuff as a valued customer, or on the other hand you get the bear-pit of the auction room. Then the buyer goes back to their apartment to get high on the result in private. Frankly some of the pieces that the main art collector interviewed has in his apartment would scare the bejesus out of me if they were in my room in the middle of the night! I would probably pay for someone else to take them away, whatever their significance to the art world!

It is interesting to think of this in context with Nathaniel Khan's two documentaries I mentioned previously: the artworks here and how they interact with gallery spaces and the walls of private collector's apartments (even the messy, charmingly rustic barn of Larry Poons that I could see Damien Hirst shrink-wrapping in plastic with the startled artist trapped inside one day, staring in shock out of a window!) get into the architecture discussions of My Architect; whilst the feeling that the whole art world market is an elaborate in joke that is absurd but nobody can really acknowledge that because that will remove the mystical aura surrounding it is quite similar to the self-aggrandising mysteriosity surrounding the M. Night Shyamalan documentary.

And I probably would not otherwise have noticed this if I was not currently living and working in environments where everyone is wearing those highly visible blue latex gloves, but I was struck by the irony that you really need to wear the same thing whether you are handling a multi-million dollar, highly fragile artwork, or if after coming into contact with and having to take a hand in helping to properly sanitise a human being! Probably for many of the same reasons.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat May 16, 2020 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

colinr0380

#984 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Not too bad next week. No Australian films to tie in with the first part (of three episodes) of Stories of Australian Cinema showing on BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Sunday 3rd, but they have the next couple of weeks to maybe put something on the schedule! On Saturday 2nd at 9 p.m. BBC4 is showing the first two parts of Norwegian series State of Happiness.

Film4 has James Brown biopic Get On Up at 11.10 p.m. on Sunday 3rd. And BBC2 is showing City of Tiny Lights at 10.35 p.m. on Friday 8th.

The second half of Rick and Morty season 4 is starting on E4 at 10 p.m. on Thursday 7th. And also on Bank Holiday Friday (!?!?!?... its a V.E. Day commemoration thing apparently - Film4 has ten hours of Homefront cinema on that day from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. with This Happy Breed, Millions Like Us, Two Thousand Women, Waterloo Road and The Land Girls) Channel 4 is showing all 7 episodes of the first series of Spaced from 11 p.m. until 2.30 a.m. in the early hours of Saturday morning. Which I think is the series which includes the scene that shows the fastest possible way to quit your job at a comic book store!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri May 08, 2020 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

colinr0380

#985 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:47 pm

No specific date as yet but The Square has just turned up in Film4's trailer for upcoming films on the channel.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#986 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 01, 2020 2:32 pm

I assume you mean the Östlund? There are confusingly at least three notable films from the last dozen years with that title!

colinr0380

#987 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:59 pm

Yes that's the one

jlnight

#988 Post by jlnight » Fri May 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Silver Bears, Sat 9th May, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 12th May.
Darkest Hour, Sat 9th May, BBC1.
The Man Who Fell to Earth, Sat 9th May, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 14th May.
The Lunchbox (2013), late Sat 9th May, BBC2. (Preceded by The Senator (2017).

Circle of Danger (1951), Sun 10th May, Talking Pictures.
Hello Down There (1969), Sun 10th May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 13th May.
American Graffiti, Sun 10th May, Sony Movies Classic.

Tehran Taboo, very late Tue 12th May, Channel 4.

colinr0380

#989 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:02 pm

jlnight has pointed out the most interesting film of the week with Tehran Taboo on Channel 4 at 2.45 a.m. on Wednesday 13th.

Chappaquiddick is on BBC2 at 10.45 p.m. on Saturday 9th, while Pawn Sacrifice is also on BBC2 at 11.20 p.m. on Friday 15th.

Lots of interesting TV too, as Vienna Blood is starting on BBC2 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 13th. Charlie Brooker's Antiviral Wipe is on BBC2 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 14th. And Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo appear to be expanding their radio film show to BBC4 for a six part half hour series starting at 8.30 p.m. on Friday 15th.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri May 08, 2020 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

reaky

#990 Post by reaky » Fri May 08, 2020 5:36 am

Strong recommendation for Vienna Blood. Like a period Sherlock, stripped of the self-referential cutes and with the gothic amped up.

jlnight

#991 Post by jlnight » Sat May 09, 2020 4:33 am

The Masque of the Red Death, Fri 15th May, Talking Pictures. Also late Mon 18th May. (been on countless times on Horror).

The Addams Family, Sat 16th May, Channel 5.
Cloak and Dagger, Sat 16th May, Talking Pictures.
Botany Bay, Sat 16th May, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 21st May.

Viva Max, Sun 17th May, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 21st May.
The Molly Maguires, Sun 17th May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 20th May.
L'Amant Double, late Sun 17th May, Channel 4.

Burma Victory, Mon 18th May, Talking Pictures.
The Warrior (Kapadia), Mon 18th May, Film4.

Quatermass, the Thames series from 1979, starts on Tue 19th May. Talking Pictures, obviously.

colinr0380

#992 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:02 am

That Dave series also started on BBC2 last night with the first two episodes. I'm afraid that I only really know Lil Dicky from his Earth music video which satirises the rather oversaturated trend of CGI anthropomorphic animals voiced by vaguely recognisable celebrities providing heavy handed moral lessons in children's films (I think I noticed nods to everything from Lion King to Madagascar and Rio in there! I'm not sure about how that "We love you China! We forgive you Germany!" line goes down though!), but this show was quite fun with its wannabe rapper acting like the anti-Eminem. I did not realise until the credits that Greg Mottola was involved with the show and has directed a couple of episodes, but it did feel as if it shared the same kind of warmth towards all of the supporting characters in an episode even when the main character himself was acting rather foolishly! There's something nice about seeing his friends calling him out on stuff but in a warm way and characters being amused by each other during their conversations that feels Mottola-esque, along with a general sense that there are crises but relatively minor ones that often properly work themselves out given time.

Although the biggest laugh moment for me came from outside of the show itself as I had the BBC's hard of hearing subtitles on at the same time and during the funeral scene near the end of the second episode was a shot of Dave looking worriedly from a distance at the parents of the dead child he had to do his first public rap performance at the funeral for, which he is completely unprepared for. At which point perhaps my favourite ever weirdly specific audio cue subtitle popped up at the bottom of the screen in big capital text white letters:

"INAUDIBLE GRIEVING"
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat May 16, 2020 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

thirtyframesasecond

#993 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 pm

I think Lil Dicky did that Freaky Friday song with domestic violence's Chris Brown a couple of years ago.

colinr0380

#994 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm

jlnight has noted the biggest films of the week with the premiere of L'Amant Double (NSFW) at 1.55 a.m. in the early hours of Monday 18th (making François Ozon the filmmaker with the most UK TV premieres this year with this and Frantz from back in January. You could argue the technicality that he's tied in that honour with Stephen Fears having Victoria & Abdul and his three part ITV series Quiz both screen last month, but if you are counting purely theatrical films premiered on television the Ozon's have it), and a rare repeat of The Warrior starring the late Irrfan Khan on Film4 at 11.15 p.m. on Monday 18th.

Sadly BBC4 has not scheduled any Australian films at all to coincide with the Stories of Australian Cinema series, but Film4 have stepped into the breach with the premiere of The Daughter at 11.45 p.m. on Wednesday 20th based on a Henrik Ibsen play with a great cast including Miranda Otto, Nicholas Hope and Sam Neill. Plus, um, Geoffrey Rush. BBC4 is also showing The Changin' Times of Ike White at 10 p.m. on Monday 18th.

Repeat-wise along with The Warrior, BBC2 is showing John Ford's Wagonmaster at 3 p.m. on Monday 18th, Film4 has Edward G. Robinson swapping the gangster role for one of a ship's captain in Destroyer at 4.50 p.m. on Monday 18th, and it is great to see a rare repeat of apocalyptic drama Last Night on Film4 at 2.10 a.m. on Saturday 23rd. That's the first feature directed by Don McKellar, who also stars, and has a great cast including David Cronenberg! (Cronenberg had previously acted in McKellar's first short film Blue a number of years before, and McKellar himself turned up as an actor in eXistenZ the year following Last Night). Here's Sloper's post about the film from the '24 Hours or less' mini-list.

If I were programming an 'apocalyptic end of days Millennial angst relationship drama' triple bill Last Night would be the lighter palate cleanser in between the heavier tomes of Abel Ferrara's 4: 44 Last Day on Earth and Hal Hartley's The Book of Life!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu May 14, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#995 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 1:33 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm
jlnight has noted the biggest films of the week with the premiere of L'Amant Double (NSFW) at 1.55 a.m. in the early hours of Monday 18th (making François Ozon the filmmaker with the most UK TV premieres this year with this and Frantz from back in January. You could argue the technicality that he's tied in that honour with Stephen Fears having Victoria & Abdul and his three part ITV series Quiz both screen last month, but if you are counting purely theatrical films premiered on television the Ozon's have it
I hope you check this one out and then report back in the Ozon thread, I think you'd really like it

colinr0380

#996 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:03 pm

I actually have the Artificial Eye Blu-ray trapped in my to watch pile, so I have even less of an excuse to not see it now! That trailer is giving me very strong The New Girlfriend vibes though, which is interesting!

jlnight

#997 Post by jlnight » Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Sadly BBC4 has not scheduled any Australian films at all to coincide with the Stories of Australian Cinema series, but Film4 have stepped into the breach with the premiere of The Daughter at 11.45 p.m. on Wednesday 20th based on a Henrik Ibsen play with a great cast including Miranda Otto, Nicholas Hope and Sam Neill. Plus, um, Geoffrey Rush.
A Cry in the Dark is on tomorrow night on 5Select (Freeview fifty-something) while The Overlanders is on Talking Pictures on Thu 21st May, in the morning.

We saw L'Amant Double at the LFF 2017 - they had a Q&A afterwards with Ozon, Vacth and Renier. Can't remember a thing though. It may have been about the adaptation of the book. And some of the more striking scenes.

GaryC

#998 Post by GaryC » Sat May 16, 2020 7:26 am

jlnight wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm
We saw L'Amant Double at the LFF 2017 - they had a Q&A afterwards with Ozon, Vacth and Renier. Can't remember a thing though. It may have been about the adaptation of the book. And some of the more striking scenes.
I haven't seen the film (yet) but it's an adaptation of a Joyce Carol Oates novel, Lives of the Twins (Kindred Passions in the UK, which is the edition I own), which was one the suspense thrillers she published under the name Rosamund Smith. There was an earlier TV movie of the same novel in 1991 called Lies of the Twins (note the subtle title difference) which I have seen but barely remember.

jlnight

#999 Post by jlnight » Mon May 18, 2020 4:41 am

The Pirates of Blood River (been on before), early Sat 23rd May, Talking Pictures.
Arthur's Hallowed Ground, Sat 23rd May, Film4. (Goes well with ITV series Funny Man).
Citizen Kane, Sat 23rd May, BBC2.
The Addams Family Values, Sat 23rd May, Channel 5.
Passport to Shame, Sat 23rd May, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 28th May.
Slumdog Millionaire, Sat 23rd May, Channel 4.

Copacabana (1947), Sun 24th May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 27th May.
The Madness of King George, Sun 24th May, Film4.

Suburbicon, Mon 25th May, BBC2.

The Magnificent Ambersons, Tue 26th May, BBC2.

My Favorite Wife, Wed 27th May, BBC2.

colinr0380

#1000 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:28 pm

Quite good next week, with the premiere of Kong: Skull Island on ITV2 at 6.40 p.m. on Bank Holiday Monday (the 1933 King Kong is also getting another screening on BBC2 at 2.50 p.m. on Friday 29th) And jlnight notes George Clooney directing in the style of the Coen Brothers with Suburbicon, on BBC2 at 10 p.m. also on Bank Holiday Monday.

The second series of Mayans MC is starting on BBC2 at 11 p.m. on Sunday 24th (after Dave).

A lot of interesting repeats too. In addition to those noted by jlnight there is South Korean film The Age of Shadows (on BBC2 at 12.45 a.m. in the early hours of Sunday 24th), Makala on Film4 at 1.25 a.m. on Monday 25th, and Roy Andersson's A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence on Film4 at 1.50 a.m. on Thursday 28th.

I did catch that Charlie Brooker programme all about life under quarantine, although things have moved so far past satire in the real world that it did not really leave too much of an impression unfortunately. However I am grateful that it did remind me of that Mitchell and Webb series and its sketches of a gameshow that takes place post-"the Event" that feel a bit too close for comfort now!