X-Men: the Last Stand (Brett Ratner, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
dx23

#26 Post by dx23 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:22 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Barmy wrote: Halle Berry gets a big role and is a total bore. She still looks like she is just going through the motions...Rogue does NOTHING.
Here's an excerpt from a Cannes interview (most of the responses are inane, so I won't bother posting the whole thing)

HALLE BERRY: I envied that I never really got to do my powers until the third movie. Fly and do electricity and spin and make a tornado like I got to do now. I envied that I never got to do what I do.

ANNA PAQUIN: I still never get to do anything. Three movies, absolutely no action. It's kind of amazing.

REBECCA ROMIJN: Somebody's always got it worse than you.

PAQUIN: I managed to survive three action comic-book movies and pretty much almost not to see one single bit of real violence or, you know, action sequences.

BERRY: You'll have to do a Rogue spinoff, just so you can do something.

PAQUIN: Dude, I don't know if anybody wants to see that, actually.

BERRY: Well, you got a great love story. I didn't have that. I got no action and no story. I had nothing.

PAQUIN: I had some gloves.
Were they promoting the film?!?

toiletduck!

#27 Post by toiletduck! » Wed May 31, 2006 8:35 pm

And just for the record:

How the fuck do you make three X-men movies without Gambit?

-Toilet pissed off Dcuk

che-etienne

#28 Post by che-etienne » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:50 am

Agreed that Gambit would've been awesome. Even so, from what people have been saying it seems an overload of characters was one of this film's major problems. Since Colossus and Kitty Pryde were introduced in X2 it seems only fair that they be included in a sequel, but the discarding of Nightcrawler is inexplicable, especially considering the depth of his character, and how he might've reacted to the mutant cure (given his strong faith as his coping mechanism). The Beast (admittedly a favorite character of mine), Angel, Callisto, Juggernaut... that's just too much... Rogue was the focus of the first film, Logan of the second, perhaps it should've been Scott and Jean here... It seems like in trying to appease fans they lost focus. I would've loved to have seen a longer (this film also sounds unconscionably short for such an epic climax), and yet more paired down, focused film. Colossus, Kitty, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Iceman, Nightcrawler... that's a team and already a little big if you ask me. What Singer could've done with this!

Napoleon

#29 Post by Napoleon » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:47 am

Barmy wrote:Fundamentally the movie drove toward Magneto's need to get the source of the cure. But why did he have to go through all that hoo-hah once he knew where it was? Just send in a small covert ops group or whatever. They certainly had enough mutants who could do "sneaky" things.
What would the average popcorn crowd prefer to see? A boring covert op or Magneto LIFTING A FREAKING BRIDGE WITH HIS MIND!

You'll never make it in Hollywood.

Fletch F. Fletch

#30 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 am

che-etienne wrote:Rogue was the focus of the first film, Logan of the second, perhaps it should've been Scott and Jean here...
Not to split hairs, here, but Logan was as much the focus of the first movie as Rogue if not more so. Really, Wolverine has been the focus of all three films because the filmmakers realize that he was one of the most popular characters of the comic.

che-etienne

#31 Post by che-etienne » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Yeah Logan was the main character of the first film now that I think about it more, but still Rogue was more the heart of the first film. We kind of saw a lot of things through her eyes, like much of the introduction to the mutant academy and we meet Wolverine through her as well. Though Logan is in the end the focus, the ultimate outsider, I would say his arc was definitely closed by the end of X2, which is why I find it a little disappointing that he stays so close to center in the third...

Barmy

#32 Post by Barmy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:12 pm

My all time fave X-Men moment was in X2 when Magneto said "I love what you've done with your hair" to Rogue.

The bridge thing was just so incredibly asinine as a "plot device" and not even that spectacular. In X1 and 2 I don't remember thinking "this makes no sense whatsoever". But nothing in X3 made sense. Since it is so easy for Magneto to hurl metal shite, why didn't he just hurl the freaking bridge ONTO Alcatraz and smash everybody?

hearthesilence

#33 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:36 pm

Dude, you're not supposed to "think" during these movies! How else can Hollywood make them Benjamins if you keep them from pandering to the Neanderthal crowd?

oldsheperd

#34 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Where the hell are the Sentinels?

Barmy

#35 Post by Barmy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:59 pm

I know I'm not supposed to "think", nor did I want to, but the problem was that I was so bored that I DID think.

The Invunche

#36 Post by The Invunche » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:25 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Where the hell are the Sentinels?
In the Danger Room I suppose.

Oh and thank God there was no Gambit in the movie. Gambit was added to the comic long after it had stopped being any good. He's not that interesting.

Antoine Doinel

#37 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:57 pm

Saw this today, and it's not a great movie, but not the horrid disappointment I was expecting. It's juts a very conventional action movie that happens to have X-Men in it. Ratner's direction is servicable but the script is the real weak point with this movie. Terrible one-liners, and loads of characters introduced (or killed off) merely to advance the plot. They wasted a lot of great and interesting characters and the final setpiece with Wolverine and Phoenix was barely convincing.

MAJOR SPOILER (if you didn't stay after the credits, read below):

Did anyone else stay after the credits? There is a scene with a nurse entering a hospital room with someone hooked up to machines. The camera zooms in the nurses' face as a voice says, "Moira?". To which she replies in astonishment "Charles?!". While they've clearly nixed the idea of an X4 in the immediate future, will we see these two in the upcoming Wolverine movie?

SPOILER OVER

hearthesilence

#38 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:41 pm

You know, the best part was probably seeing Jean Grey coming on to Wolverine, esp. since much of the movie was kind of blah and by the numbers. Scratching away and wrapping her legs around his torso...It's possible things have gotten more graphic in the X-Men comics, but I don't remember Marvel Girl doing that to ANYBODY.

Dear Catastrophe Totoro

#39 Post by Dear Catastrophe Totoro » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:13 pm

Why didn't anyone think of just giving Jean the cure? They could have just used two (or even one) of the cure darts on Magneto and saved one for Jean.

I'm starting to think they're going to pull a Star Trek 3 on everyone who died in this film, with the possible exception of Jean, since this movie was sort of her Star Trek 3 to begin with. Then again, there might be another damn cocoon of energy preserving her body...

hearthesilence

#40 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Yeah...or even Jimmy the Leech, I thought he could've been handy. But again, that's just one of many plotholes.

Some of it seemed funny in an unintentional way. I love how they talk about closing the school, and then out of nowhere, "Angel" just walks right in, "Hey, I don't know you and you've never seen me before, but I heard this was a good place to be." "Oh what the hey, let's keep the school open!" That was easy.

Or when Iceman sees Rogue's room is emptied out. He asks Colossus where she is, and he just says, "She took off," with absolutely NO emotion. Didn't even stop, he just kept on walking down the hall. Granted, they never established a relationship between the two characters, but it was funny how he didn't give a rat's ass that she was gone, possibly for good.

Antoine Doinel

#41 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:54 pm

I just can't believe how shabbily the script treated Mystique. After she was abandoned by Magneto we don't see her again until she's ratting him out to the Feds (which is completely implausible and ridiculous as Magneto obviously can read her mind). Moreover, where did she get clothes? How did she manage to run naked from a rural highway to getting made up adn looking nice for the White House? Moreover, what happened to her after? Did she settle down and get a job? So many characters just picked up and dropped off.

Oh yeah, and I found it hard to believe that Magneto's army didn't turn on him at some point especially with his whole "sending in the pawns" business. The script seemed to hint at it more than once, but the knowing glances between the mutants seemed to be moot.

And, the church meeting scene looked like an outtake from The Crow. All that was missing was some bad mid-nineties industrial music.

Antoine Doinel

#42 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:56 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Yeah...or even Jimmy the Leech, I thought he could've been handy.
He was the source of the cure so presumably he was immune to himself.

hearthesilence

#43 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:01 pm

I mean, Jimmy could've been handy in taming Phoenix at some point. Maybe Colossus could've chucked him at her. :twisted:

Antoine Doinel

#44 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:12 pm

Except that his power would've been rendered useless once he came within an inch of Leech.

hearthesilence

#45 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:23 pm

Of course. #-o

Andre Jurieu

#46 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:33 pm

Why the hell am I doing this?
Dear Catastrophe Totoro wrote:Why didn't anyone think of just giving Jean the cure? They could have just used two (or even one) of the cure darts on Magneto and saved one for Jean.
I was thinking the exact same thing, but then I remembered that Ratner was doing this movie and his main source of inspiration is fan voice-overs about pimps and Lohan's panty drawer.
Dear Catastrophe Totoro wrote:I'm starting to think they're going to pull a Star Trek 3 on everyone who died in this film, with the possible exception of Jean, since this movie was sort of her Star Trek 3 to begin with. Then again, there might be another damn cocoon of energy preserving her body...
I'm still bewildered by how so many viewers are complaining about the fact that there might be more X-Men movies where characters who died off in earlier movies are going to be resurrected. Last time I checked this franchise was based on a comic book, right? I mean did I miss the law that was passed that said that dead comic book characters had to obey the laws of reality and have to stay dead forever? Does Superman still get his powers from electricity and is that French dude still Batman?
Antoine Doinel wrote:which is completely implausible and ridiculous as Magneto obviously can read her mind.
Magneto can read people's minds?

Antoine Doinel

#47 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:51 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:
Antoine Doinel wrote:which is completely implausible and ridiculous as Magneto obviously can read her mind.
Magneto can read people's minds?
Yep.

The Invunche

#48 Post by The Invunche » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:41 pm

No he can't.

EDIT: it seems he can. I think I stopped reading X-Men too many years ago.

Mr Sausage

#49 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm

Whether or not he can read minds in the comics is a moot point. The X-Men films have no qualms about altering characters and their powers for convenience--for example Juggernaut, who in the comics was I am told not an actual mutant, is here classed as one and even loses his powers to leech. Magneto is never portrayed as able to read minds, and on several occasions misses things that could have been revealed were he capable of this ability (the guard trying to secretly shoot him from behind in the mobile jail, for example).

Anyway, I assumed Jean wasn't given the cure because she was making everything near her fly apart at that moment, and any needle brought to her by wolverine would have done the same. Unless of course he stuck it in his pants, which seemed curiously unaffected by the disintegration. Does he buy them at the same store as Bruce Banner?

hearthesilence

#50 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:42 pm

How come Jean didn't use her almighty powers to transport the mutants on to the island? It would've saved Magneto the trouble of ripping a bridge....ah, forget it.