Dynamic Top Tens of 2023

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Dynamic Top Tens of 2023

#26 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:34 pm

Same eligibility as my 2021 and 2022 lists: anything I watch for the first time that premiered in the last calendar year or later.
  1. The Boy and the Heron (Miyazaki Hayao)
  2. Pacifiction (Albert Serra)
  3. Arnold Is a Model Student (Sorayos Prapapan)
  4. This Closeness (Kit Zauhar)
  5. De humani corporis fabrica (Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel)
  6. 100 Yards (Xu Haofeng and Xu Junfeng)
  7. Rewind & Play (Alain Gomis)
  8. All Ears (Liu Jiayin)
  9. The Novelist's Film (Hong Sangsoo)
  10. Mad Fate (Soi Cheang)
Honorable mentions: Bottoms (Emma Seligman), Conann (Bertrand Mandico), Critical Zone (Ali Ahmadzadeh), A Day in the Life of John Carpenter (Damon Packard), F1ghting Looks Different 2 Me Now (Fox Maxy), The Fifth Thoracic Vertebra (Park Syeyoung), Fremont (Babak Jalali), See You Friday, Robinson (Mitra Farahani), Tchaikovsky's Wife (Kirill Serebrennikov), Youth (Spring) (Wang Bing)

Best 2023 U.S. commercial releases:
  1. The Boy and the Heron (Miyazaki Hayao)
  2. Pacifiction (Albert Serra)
  3. De humani corporis fabrica (Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel)
  4. Rewind & Play (Alain Gomis)
  5. Sick of Myself (Kristoffer Borgli)
  6. Give Me Pity! (Amanda Kramer)
  7. The Novelist's Film (Hong Sangsoo)
  8. Youth (Spring) (Wang Bing)
  9. Bottoms (Emma Seligman)
  10. The Fifth Thoracic Vertebra (Park Syeyoung)
Best ineligible first watches:
  1. The Lonely Voice of Man (1978, Aleksandr Sokurov)
  2. *Corpus Callosum (2002, Michael Snow)
  3. Hard to Be a God (2013, Aleksey German)
  4. Marriage Story (2020, Jessica Dunn Rovinelli)
  5. Out of the Past (1947, Jacques Tourneur)
  6. The Green Ray (1986, Éric Rohmer)
  7. Ivan the Terrible (1944, Sergei Eisenstein)
  8. Candyman (1992, Bernard Rose)
  9. Les rendez-vous d'Anna (1978, Chantal Akerman)
  10. Va savoir + (2001, Jacques Rivette)
Last edited by The Fanciful Norwegian on Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 21 times in total.

RSTooley

#27 Post by RSTooley » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:22 pm

Updated just before the Oscars...

1. Past Lives
2. The Holdovers
3. American Fiction
4. All of Us Strangers
5. Killers of the Flower Moon
6. You Hurt My Feelings
7. Barbie
8. Oppenheimer
9. Asteroid City
10. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Last edited by RSTooley on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Murdoch

#28 Post by Murdoch » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:57 pm

1. Barbenheimer
2. Skinamarink
Last edited by Murdoch on Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Persona

#29 Post by Persona » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:48 pm

1. Killers of the Flower Moon (Scorsese)
2. May December (Haynes)
3. How Do You Live? (Miyazaki)
4. Oppenheimer (Nolan)
5. Roald Dahl Collection (Anderson)
6. The Killer (Fincher)
7. Copenhagen Cowboy (Refn)
8. Master Gardener (Schrader)
9. Priscilla (Coppola)
10. Showing Up (Reichardt)
Last edited by Persona on Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

cantinflas

#30 Post by cantinflas » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:58 am

1. Ferrari
2. Napoleon
3. The Palace
4. Oppenheimer
5. May December
6. Coup de Chance
7. Godzilla Minus One
8. John Wick: Chapter 4
9. Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre
10. Rebel Moon — Part One: A Child of Fire
Last edited by cantinflas on Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Altair

#31 Post by Altair » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:13 pm

1. Oppenheimer
2. Maestro
3. Passages
4. Saltburn
5. Killers of the Flower Moon
6. All of Us Strangers
7. Poor Things
8. Napoleon
9. The Killer
10. The Boy and the Heron
11. Anyone but You
12. Bottoms
13. Asteroid City
14. Coup de chance
15. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
16. Ferrari
17. John Wick: Chapter Four
18. No Hard Feelings
Last edited by Altair on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Grand Wazoo

#32 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu May 04, 2023 9:17 am

1. Hello Dankness
2. The People's Joker
3. May December
4. Killers of he Flower Moon
5. Oppenheimer
6. Great Photo, Lovely Life
7. Chasing Chasing Amy
8. Beau Is Afraid
9. Magic Mike's Last Dance
Last edited by Grand Wazoo on Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#33 Post by lacritfan » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:22 pm

All of Us Strangers
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
The Holdovers
Barbie
Asteroid City
May December
Beau is Afraid
John Wick: Chapter 4
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar-Swan-Rat-Poison
Last edited by lacritfan on Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.

The Curious Sofa

#34 Post by The Curious Sofa » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:32 am

1. The Zone of Interest
2. Past Lives
3. The Beasts/As bestas
4. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Talk to Me
6. American Fiction
7. Influencer
8. Maestro
9. Beau is Afraid
10. May December

Yep: When Evil Lurks, The Holdovers, Reality, The Teacher's Lounge, Rotting in the Sun, M:I Dead Reconing Part 1, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Dream Scenario, Concrete Utopia, The End We Start From, The Creator, Barbie, Wrath of Becky, The River Wild, Leave the World Behind, V/H/S/94, The Killer, Brooklyn 45, All the Beauty and the Bloodshed, We Have a Ghost, Society of the Snow, Evil Dead Rise, Broker, The Royal Hotel, M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin,

Meh: Killers of the Flower Moon, The Conference, Totally Killer, ISS, V/H/S/85, No One Will Save You, Birth/Rebirth, The Passenger, Cobweb, Indiana Jones 5, The Last Voyage of the Demeter, The Blackening, Eileen, Dungeons and Dragons, No Hard Feelings, Scream VI, Missing, Women Talking, Boston Strangler, To Leslie, Huesera the Bone Woman, Alice Darling, Plane, Sissy, The Menu, No Hard Feelings,

Nope: Poor Things, Hello Dankness, Oppenheimer, Scala!!!, A Haunting in Venice, John Wick 4, Aporia, The Kitchen, Little Bone Lodge, They Cloned Tyrone, Cocaine Bear, Swallowed
Last edited by The Curious Sofa on Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 am, edited 26 times in total.

Soy Cuba

#35 Post by Soy Cuba » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:40 am

1. Close
2. Safe Place
3. Beau is Afraid
4. Love According to Dalva
5. Saint Omer
6. The Eight Mountains
7. Godland
8. Past Lives
9. Riceboy Sleeps
10. Tori and Lokita

I've had to change my list to include:

'Beau is Afraid'. I thought it was epic. Only a few film-makers can produce output like this.
'Love According to Dalva'. Incredible debut from a country that is producing such good dramas and directors right now (Belgium)
'Past Lives' - I know many dislike it but I thought it was lovely.
Last edited by Soy Cuba on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yakushima

#36 Post by Yakushima » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:16 am

As I continue catching up with the films released last year, here is my updated top 10:

1. The Boy and the Heron
2. Oppenheimer
3. Fallen Leaves
4. Master Gardener
5. M3GAN
6. The Killer
7. Poor Things
8. The Holdovers
9. Afire
10. The Palace
11. Asteroid City

The Boy and the Heron and Oppenheimer made a huge impression and will stay with me for a long time. I especially appreciated Nolan's achievement after reading the source book, 700+ pages long American Prometheus (highly recommended!). It was not a small task to organize and distill the convoluted story (which often had distinct Rashomon qualities) and preserve the essence of the man at the center of it.
Fallen Leaves is a pure cinema magic. We are so damn lucky that Aki Kaurismaki came out of his retirement to make this one.
I enjoyed the hell out of Master Gardener, a masterclass in compelling storytelling.
M3GAN was a fun ride, but IMO, it would be a stronger film if it did not careen midway from Bradbury's Electrical Grandmother into decidedly Child's Play territory. Having said that, I do want more movies like this!
The Killer was a rather unpleasant but entrancing procedural.
I loved the performances and cinematography of both Poor Things and The Holdovers, but in the end, neither film moved me much, unfortunately.
Afire was interesting if not altogether satisfying.
Roman Polanski's The Palace pleasantly surprised me after all the bad reviews. It loses steam considerably toward the end, and the final bit is simply painful, but with this in mind, it is a hilarious slapstick satire with superb comedic performances by almost all involved.
Asteroid City affirmed to me that Wes Anderson has moved to a different wavelength, to which I am unfortunately completely deaf. I keep it in 11th place for the scene with Jeff Goldblum's alien.

There are still quite a few notable 2023 films left to catch up with.
Last edited by Yakushima on Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zedz

#37 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:49 pm

The film festival has blown through town, and two and a half weeks later, out of 135 films from 40 countries, here’s what stuck with me.

TEN BEST (reverse alphabetical order)

When the Waves Are Gone (Lav Diaz) – For so-called slow cinema, Lav Diaz sure packs a lot of story in. His latest cine-novel follows over three hours the parallel threads of a violent police lieutenant, Hermes, who has returned to his home town to try and recover from his psoriasis, and Supremo, his former mentor, a religious extremist fresh out of prison and out for revenge on the protégé who put him there. When they finally close in for the final confrontation, we get an amazing (slow, inconclusive) film-noir chase on rain-slicked night streets, and a showdown on a wharf at night where the characters are reduced to stark white figures in a void of black. This is a film that you live in rather than just watch.

The Tuba Thieves (Alison O’Daniel) – A hugely imaginative and accomplished feature set in the Los Angeles deaf community but also bouncing around in time and space to take in the first performance of John Cage’s 4’33” and punk shows at the San Francisco Deaf Club in the late 70s. Oh, and a rash of thefts from school marching bands. The film plays with ideas of sound and silence, signal and noise, and features extremely innovative sound design.

Smoke Sauna Sisterhood (Anna Hints) – Fantastic, unconventional documentary in which women talk about themselves in Estonian saunas. It’s joyous and sometimes harrowing, and the conversations encompass a full range of lived experience. Beautifully photographed and assembled.

Shackle (Ainslie Henderson) – An animation tour-de-force combining puppet and object animation, filmed on location in a forest, so that the background trees and the light flutters and fluctuates with every frame. It’s ravishing to look at, but Henderson also manages other tricks, like expanding and contracting portals into another dimension (the forest at night). It’s a tiny little epic that outdoes most conventional good vs. evil features.

The Settlers (Felipe Galvez) – Probably the greatest western since Jauja. Three men (two colonizers; one colonized) traverse a continent (and the Andes) looking for a safe route for livestock to the Atlantic. This movie shows just how great Academy ratio is for spectacular landscapes and action (one major scene depicts a massacre in heavy fog, from the perspective of a character who’s not participating in it). The compositions are painterly, with expressive, rather than realist, cinematic lighting, and it has a killer score, all heavy percussion and jangling wires.

Pacifiction (Albert Serra) – Serra’s most narratively dense film so far, but it’s also a trippy, disorienting mood piece, with some bracing set-pieces (e.g. the surfing sequence). These kind of stories tend to get labelled “post-colonial”, but there ain’t nothing “post-“ about what’s going on in this film. It’s always exciting to see an accomplished director take a step up to a new level.

No Bears (Jafar Panahi) – This might be my favourite of Panahi’s post-filmmaker films to date, a very clever self-reflexive film in which fiction turns out to be fact and vice versa, all while gently prodding his own privileged (if compromised) position. If it’s not quite as dizzyingly layered as classics like Close-Up or A Moment of Innocence, it’s nonetheless a pleasure seeing Iranian cinema get back to those qualities of 4-D bafflement.

L’Immensitá (Emanuele Crialese) – This is a big, entertaining movie-star movie, with Penelope Cruz giving a big, entertaining movie-star performance, but what I liked about it is how it used that glossy format to smuggle in a whole lot of powerful and subtle elements. For instance, it’s a film with a trans hero, even though it’s not a film about his trans struggle or trans triumph. That’s just who he is. Similarly, it deals seriously with domestic trauma (manifested in various ways) without being sensationalistic or miserabilist. The film at times escapes into musical numbers, including a table-setting scene at the outset that’s one of the most delightful sequences of the year. Cruz really is magnificent in the film, conveying an extremely complex character without histrionics. Her work is so subtle and sympathetic that
SpoilerShow
you’re halfway through the film before you realize that you’re watching a quasi-remake of A Woman Under the Influence. We’ve been so taken in by her portrayal of a joyous free spirit that we don’t want to acknowledge that she can only express that joy through her children and is desperate to escape the adult world.

De Humani Corporis Fabrica (Lucien Castaing-Taylor, Verena Paravel) – The latest Sensory Ethnography Lab joint takes us inside the Paris public hospital system and the bodies of its patients. We follow people with dementia as they trek the corridors on obscure quests and eavesdrop on nurses complaining about conditions, but mostly this film is about surgery. You have been warned. The spectacle is astonishing, if occasionally stomach-churning. As a child I split my head open (21 stitches) and could feel the doctor moving my skull around under the skin to check nothing was too badly broken. The cornea transplant segment in this film was worse than that. It might as well have been titled “I’ll show you, Un Chien Andalou.” The film concludes with a magnificent, totally unexpected swirling shot of a mural, set to New Order’s ‘Blue Monday’.

Fremont (Babak Jalali) – Deadpan comedy in very early Jarmusch mode about an Afghan refugee working in a fortune cookie factory. Beautifully rendered in black and white and genuinely warm and funny.

TEN SECOND-BEST (forwards alphabetic order)

Afire (Christian Petzold) – You know you’re going to get impeccable filmmaking with Petzold, but the surprise here is that this is by far his funniest film, about a grumpy writer struggling to complete (or not complete) his difficult second novel among people who are just too fucking cheerful. The film has its dark side, of course. The only thing that kept this out of the top tier for me was the predictability of the climax and denouement.
SpoilerShow
Does anybody watching this not expect somebody to get caught in the offscreen forest fire? And for that person to be whoever decides to finally go and rescue the (offscreen) car? And from the moment we learn of the presence of an interloper at the cabin, isn’t if obvious that the real second novel will be the story of this interlude?
Fantastic Machine (Alex Danielson / Maximilien Van Aertryck) – Very smart and very snappy essay film about the history of image making and faking.

Kokomo City (D. Smith) – Electrifying documentary, shot in sleek high-contrast black and white, about black trans sex workers in Georgia. Stylish as hell, and an emotional roller-coaster ride.

Lost Love (Ka Sing-Fung) – I went into to this expecting a simplistic tear-jerker (couple become foster parents, with all the reward and heartbreak that portends) and instead got a marvellously complex and graceful one.

On the Adamant (Nicolas Philibert) – Another sublime observational documentary from Philibert, this time about a facility for mental health patients on a barge on the Seine where the focus is on expressing creativity and forming a community.

Passages (Ira Sachs) – Sachs’ strongest film since Forty Shades of Blue, with three very different actors acing their lead roles (Franz Rogowski, Ben Whishaw and Adele Exarchopoulos).

River (Junta Yamaguchi) – Awesome high-concept, no-budget science-fiction film set in a gorgeous ryokan in a gorgeous mountain valley. Everybody is going about the daily business when suddenly time starts looping every two minutes. The characters’ consciousnesses continue in linear fashion, so they are aware of the temporal glitch and try to get things done before the 120-second reset returns them physically to square one. The elaborations on the idea are ingenious, and though the tone never gets beyond whimsical despite a few existential feints (a couple of people find out what it’s like to die), it’s a formal delight, with most of the film unfolding in highly mobile two-minute sequence shots (as the main character rushes all over the ryokan and its environs trying to manage the chaos) that end on match-cuts back to Mikoto, standing by the riverside where it all begins again.

Showing Up (Kelly Reichardt) – Reichardt is a master of the demotic sublime, and it’s a delight to be able to sink into a film in which even the most glancing characters have a lived-in reality.

The Survival of Kindness (Rolf de Heer) – Spectacular, functionally wordless post-apocalyptic quest film, in which a black woman abandoned in a cage in the desert escapes and makes her way slowly to ‘civilization’ in order to fulfil a vision, while dodging a militia of white men in gas masks executing outsiders. Oh, and there’s a very nasty pandemic going on. It makes for an allegorical soup that’s all the better for not being reduced too far. Visionary filmmaking, a bit like Jodorowsky if he were less silly and egomaniacal.

War Pony (Gina Gammell, Riley Keough) – Native American drama (with poodles!) that got stronger and more confident as it went along.

TEN THIRD-BEST (alphabetical by last letter)

Casa Susanna (Sebastien Lifshitz) – Recovered history of a 1960s Catskills hideaway for cross-dressers (and their wives). A really lovely documentary that nobody went to see.

La Chimera (Alice Rohrwacher) – Less overtly magical realist than Lazzaro Felice, but in the same ballpark. It’s an elusive tone that Rohrwacher can pull off better than almost anybody else working today.

Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet)

Totem (Lila Avilès) – Busy family drama from Mexico with verisimilitude to burn and the ability to change gears into the sublime for the denouement. La Cienaga and Neighbouring Sounds seem like good reference points and ample recommendation.

EO (Jerzy Skolimowski) – I had to admire the gumption of remaking Au hazard, Balthazar in the least Bressonian manner imaginable. As such, this film stands or falls as defiantly its own thing.

May December (Todd Haynes) – Haynes does what he does best: queasily complicating the sensational.

Monster (Hirokazu Kore-eda) – Tricksy thriller with a Rashomon structure that gets a little too tricksy for its own good (there are a number of contrivances that are just there to justify radically different readings of the same events by different participants). The film provides the solution, which doesn’t quite add up, but scene by scene and performance by performance this is great stuff.

Perfect Days (Wim Wenders)

Inshallah a Boy (Amjad Al Rasheed) – Adult drama with nasty Islamic complications, in the vein of Asgar Farhadi, but not so contrived.

Disco Boy (Giacomo Abbruzzese) – Hostile takeover in a French disco! This film owes a lot to Beau Travail, but has lots of its own ideas buzzing around (including a great climactic fight shot with a heat-imaging camera). A very promising first fiction feature.

TEN MORE OF INTEREST

Only the River Flows (Wei Shujun)

Pictures of Ghosts (Kleber Mendonca Filho)

Music for Black Pigeons (Andreas Kofoed / Jorgen Leth)

Tiger Stripes (Amanda Nell Eu)

Saint Omer (Alice Diop)

Last Summer (Catherine Breillat)

Cat and Moth (India Barnardo)

Plan 75 (Chie Hayakawa)

Kidnapped (Marco Bellocchio)

Mami Wata (C.J. “Fiery” Obasi)

. . . AND SOME TO AVOID

Hello Dankness (Soda Jerk) – I enjoyed Terror Nullius, but this film has none of its wit. It’s an impressive feat of editing, but its satire is brain-dead and obvious. Wouldn’t it be hilarious if the nasty neighbours from random 80s comedy number thirty-seven had a Trump flag on their lawn? This film has nothing of interest to say, and is merely satisfied with reassuring its hip target audience that they’re right to hate the Republicans and other obvious targets, and they’re awesome for knowing the same middlebrow Hollywood movies that Soda Jerk do. It’s like an agit-prop version of Family Guy.

Carmen (Benjamin Millepied) – Lame, lame, lame Australian / French co-production parading as ‘edgy’ Latin American. A cliché-ridden script dressed up in third-hand “high style” (Lynch and Malick cops, basically – if all the slow-motion shots in the film ran at normal speed, it would be twenty minutes shorter) and punctuated by listless dance numbers. Rossy De Palma provides the jazz hands; Paul Mescal looks like he knows he’s taken a very wrong career turn.

Sisu (Jalmari Helander) – Big, craven wannabe action blockbuster (wiry Finnish gold miner destroys the Nazi war machine single-handedly, and entirely in English) that pulls absolutely no surprises. Strictly for fans of bad writing and cartoonish gore.

Banel & Adama (Ramata-Toulaye Sy) – Or should that be “Banal and Adama”? Shallow and predictable fable with wafty, whispery Malickisms. The moral of the story: God don’t like those uppity women.

Shin Ultraman (Shinji Higuchi) – Or should that be “Shit Ultraman”? At first I was intrigued by the Fukusakuan compression of the exposition: the film literally crams six movies into the first five minutes. A little later on, I became morbidly fascinated by just how visually incoherent the film was: sequences entirely constructed of show-offy camera angles (looking up at a character’s face from his crotch, peeping out from behind computer monitors or spying from the far corner of a room) with no logic to motivate or connect them. Then I realized this wasn’t avant-garde, but rather inept, and the film was just staler-than-stale action movie crap where all the action was in the expository dialogue and the big set-pieces were weightless and bland CGI tableaux of monsters shooting beams at each other. The most boring film I’ve seen so far this year.

My Name Is Alfred Hitchcock (Mark Cousins) – There are some decent insights scattered throughout the film, but the framing conceit (that this is narrated by a present-day Alfred Hitchcock) is so irritating (yes, I really needed to know what Mark Cousins thinks Alfred Hitchcock would think of iPhones) and pretentious that any points it scores are immediately deducted. And the Hitchcock impersonator was iffy at best.

bufordsharkley1

#38 Post by bufordsharkley1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:39 pm

1. Asteroid City (Anderson)
2. The Holdovers (Payne)
3. Godland (Pálmason)
4. John Wick: Chapter 4 (Stahelski)
5. Showing Up (Reichardt)
6. The Killer (Fincher)
7. Bottoms (Seligman)
8. Beau Is Afraid (Aster)
9. Oppenheimer (Nolan)
10. Talk to Me (Philippous)

BUBBLING UNDER: The Elephant 6 Recording Co. (Stockfleth), Master Gardener (Schrader), Killers of the Flower Moon (Scorsese), The Royal Hotel (Green)

JamesF

#39 Post by JamesF » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:39 am

First draft at a numbered order, still foolishly sticking to the criteria that it has to have been released in the UK between January 1st and December 31st (with one exception):

1. May December
2. Women Talking
3. Anatomy of a Fall
4. Showing Up (inexplicably going DTV in early-2025 so fuck it, it’s going on the list anyway)
5. Maestro
6. Tar
7. Past Lives
8. The Eight Mountains
9. Godzilla Minus One
10. Infinity Pool

Bubbling under: Broker, Talk to Me, Killers of the Flower Moon, Theater Camp, How to Have Sex

Biggest disappointments: The Fabelmans, Napoleon, third act of Saltburn
Last edited by JamesF on Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Balthazar

#40 Post by Balthazar » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:06 pm

1. Do Not Expect Too Much From The End of the World (Jude)
- The hell of the commute
2. The Plains (Easteal)
- The joy of the commute
3. Portraits of Ghosts (Mendonça Filho)
4. Inside the Yellow Cocoon Shell (Pham)
5. Human Flowers of Flesh (Wittmann)
6. Evil Does Not Exist (Hamaguchi)
7. May December (Haynes)
8. Trenque Lauquen (Citarella)
9. Last Summer (Breillat)
10. In Our Day (Hong)

nicolas

#41 Post by nicolas » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:48 pm

As of December 19 with too many important films still unseen:

1. Oppenheimer (Nolan)
2. The Teacher's Lounge (Çatak)
3. Sun and Concrete (Sonne und Beton, Wnendt)
4. Afire (Petzold)
5. The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (Friedkin)
6. Past Lives (Song)
7. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning (McQuarrie)
8. John Wick: Chapter 4 (Stahelski)
9. Kidnapped (Rapito, Bellocchio)
10. Yet to come

Putting three German films as a German on my top-10 is the thing I never expected in an eternity. The miserable state of German cinema is to blame, of course, but these three highlights all knocked me out like the fewest of films.

Mr Sausage

#42 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:21 pm

1. Birth/Rebirth (Moss)
2. Poor Things (Lanthimos)
3. Beau Is Afraid (Aster)
4. Oppenheimer (Nolan)
5. John Wick 4 (Stahelski)
6. Fallen Leaves (Kaurismäki)
7. Monster (Kore-eda)
8. Mami Wata (Obasi)
9. Eileen (Oldroyd)
10. The Becomers (Clark)

BrianB

#43 Post by BrianB » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:13 am

1. The Holdovers
2. Poor Things
3. Barbie
4. Asteroid City
5. The Boy and the Heron
6. Killers of the Flower Moon
7. The Super Mario Bros Movie
8. Afire
9. Suzume
10. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

bottlesofsmoke

#44 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:41 am

1. May December
2. Showing Up
3. The Zone of Interest
4. Anatomy of a Fall
5. The Holdovers
6. Oppenheimer
7. Asteroid City
8. Master Gardener
9. The Killer
10. John Wick: Chapter 4

Also Seen, and Liked: Poor Things, Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, Barbie, Killers of the Flower Moon, Fair Play, How to Blow Up a Pipeline, The Rat Catcher, Poison, The Starling Girl, Albert Brooks: Defending My Life, The Swan, Knock at the Cabin, Influencer

Also Seen: Magic Mike's Last Dance, No Hard Feelings, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Air, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, M3GAN, Theater Camp, A Haunting in Venice, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse, Maestro
Last edited by bottlesofsmoke on Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#45 Post by alacal2 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:24 am

Based on films that mainly opened in the UK in my local indie cnema by the sea. It was a great year for female directors (particularly debuts).
1. Women Talking
2.St Omer
3. Killers of the Flower Moon.
4. Past Lives
5. Pearl (Eagerly awaiting MaXXXine)
6. Scrapper
7. Fremont
8 Eight Mountains
9. Typist, Artist, Pirate, King.
10.Barbarians.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#46 Post by Shrew » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:29 pm

1) Killers of the Flower Moon
2) Showing Up
3) Poor Things
4) The Holdovers
5) Oppenheimer
6) The Boy and the Heron
7) The Zone of Interest
8) May December
9) Fallen Leaves
10) The Sweet East

More: Asteroid City, Anatomy of a Fall, Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse, Master Gardener, Barbie, Mission: Impossible--Dead Reckoning Part One, The Killer, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (Poison, The Rat Catcher, Story, Swan), Past Lives, Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Maestro, American Fiction, Godzilla Minus One, El Conde
Last edited by Shrew on Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MV88

#47 Post by MV88 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am

1. Perfect Days (Wenders)
2. Anatomy of a Fall (Triet)
3. Past Lives (Song)
4. May December (Haynes)
5. The Iron Claw (Durkin)
6. All of Us Strangers (Haigh)
7. American Fiction (Jefferson)
8. Barbie (Gerwig)
9. Knock at the Cabin (Shyamalan)
10. The Holdovers (Payne)

Still need to see: The Boy and the Heron, The Taste of Things, Fallen Leaves, Showing Up

DeParis

#48 Post by DeParis » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:37 am

1. R.M.N. (Mungiu)
2. Anatomy of a Fall (Triet)
3. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (Fremon Craig)
4. Bottoms (Seligman)
5. Cinema Sabaya (Fouks Rotem)
6. Fallen Leaves (Kaurismäki)
7. American Fiction (Jefferson)
8. Showing Up (Reichardt)
9. The Iron Claw (Durkin)
10. Killers of the Flower Moon (Scorcese)

Also Seen: Air; The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster; Asteroid City; Barbie; Barren; Beau is Afraid; Blackberry; The Boy and the Heron; The Boys in the Boat; The Cairo Conspiracy; Dream Scenario; Earth Mama; Enys Man; Flora and Son; Godland; The Holdovers; How to Blow Up a Pipeline; Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny; Infinity Pool; Joyland; The Killer; Knock at the Cabin; Let It Be Morning; Maestro; March '68; Master Gardener; Matchmaking; May/December; Milisuthando; More Than I Deserve; No Hard Feelings; Oppenheimer; Past Lives; Poison; Polite Society; Poor Things; The Quiet Girl; The Rat Catcher; Return to Seoul; The Royal Hotel; Saint Omer; Saltburn; Skinamarink; The Starling Girl; The Swan; Theater Camp; A Thousand and One; 20 Days in Mariupol; The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar; You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah; You Hurt My Feelings