Scarface (Luca Guadagnino, 202X)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:37 pm

knives wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:18 pm
That's a strong opinion about those three.
Was only referring to one of them

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 4:38 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:37 pm
knives wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:18 pm
That's a strong opinion about those three.
Was only referring to one of them
Wow, going real hard on Mr. Frances McDormand 😥

Big Ben

Re: Scarface (Luca Guadagnino, 202X)

#28 Post by Big Ben » Thu May 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Domino points something out that I don't think is really discussed enough though, at least today. De Palma's film has been deified by individuals who believe Montana's lifestyle is something to aspire to. This deification got to the point that Executives actually asked De Palma to reedit his film and replace Moroder's score with hip hop tracks. I would happily see a remake addressing the more toxic elements.

Altair

#29 Post by Altair » Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm

But isn't that the only thing which gets discussed about De Palma's Scarface these days, its supposed moral corruption of (mainly) people of colour?

knives

#30 Post by knives » Thu May 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Altair wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm
But isn't that the only thing which gets discussed about De Palma's Scarface these days, its supposed moral corruption of (mainly) people of colour?
Yes, but it's a mediocre film so who cares. Color me excited especially for the hack.

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 14, 2020 5:40 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:25 pm
The only “new” version of Scarface that would be worth making would examine its vaunted status within glamorized street crime courtesy of hardcore rappers and their adherents, painting the adaptation with some kind of meta brush examining and remaking it through the lens of those who idolize it.
I want to see this film immediately.

dda1996a

#32 Post by dda1996a » Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 pm

The only Coen scripted film that didn't suck was Bridge of Spies. Guadagnino's only good film is Call Me by Your Name, his first remake sucked, and overall I find him to be really over praised for nothing. Plus the De-Palma isn't that great to begin with. Seems like a recipe for disaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#33 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu May 14, 2020 6:42 pm

I'm with knives; there's no reason to assume that the Coens can't find something interesting in this material, and while opinions clearly vary on Guadagnino, I'm not sure "hack" works even if you're trying to be uncharitable.

aox

#34 Post by aox » Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Really jumping the gun on the "why didn't they make the film I wanted to see?"-style criticism that plagues this board. If nothing else, that's pretty amazing and at least we got that out of this thread (do those posts need to be moved now?).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#35 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Why would any of the posts about this film be moved from the thread for this film just because you don’t like them?

therewillbeblus

#36 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 14, 2020 7:11 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 pm
The only Coen scripted film that didn't suck was Bridge of Spies. Guadagnino's only good film is Call Me by Your Name, his first remake sucked, and overall I find him to be really over praised for nothing. Plus the De-Palma isn't that great to begin with. Seems like a recipe for disaster
To be fair, if you're referring to Coens-scripted films 'with other directors,' I believe the only one based off a script entirely their own was Gambit while the others were not wholly involved collaborations (aside from that early Raimi) as much as touch-up hired jobs. Even the most recent Clooney one, a long-time passion-project script, was in the works for so long and seems to have not only gone through a bunch of rewrites but too had many cooks in the kitchen to lead to an inevitably compromised final product. As for Luca, I've only seen his last four narrative features starting with I Am Love but while Call Me By Your Name was the clear standout, all had some kind of merit (even Suspiria, which was overtly sloppy at times but definitely interesting -and exciting- in its own way). This project definitely feels like a confusing announcement, but I'm curious to see what the final picture looks like.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 pm

And Gambit was also a remake! I haven’t seen his Suspiria remake (and it’s not high on my list) but I saw Guadagnino’s La piscine remake and thought that all it added was making everything seem to drag on much longer with much less appealing actors

aox

#38 Post by aox » Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:57 pm
Why would any of the posts about this film be moved from the thread for this film just because you don’t like them?
I wasn't criticising. I found the whole ordeal quite humorous (I initially used the word "amazing"). Oh, and I agree that style of movie in this case would be delightful.

therewillbeblus

#39 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 14, 2020 7:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 pm
And Gambit was also a remake! I haven’t seen his Suspiria remake (and it’s not high on my list) but I saw Guadagnino’s La piscine remake and thought that all it added was making everything seem to drag on much longer with much less appealing actors
Yeah, I don't think you'll necessarily like his Suspiria remake. There are many issues with it, including some weird technical choices at the end and Thom Yorke's vocals infused in the score at inappropriate times, but I found it to be an interesting mess that I both loved and hated in different ways on a first watch. On a second viewing, the problems bothered me less but the exciting parts also tapered without their novelty so I'm ultimately cool on it. This is the opposite reaction I had to mother!, the other rare occurrence of leaving a theatre completely torn in both hating and loving aspects of a film that audacious and unapologetically obvious, but ultimately falling to the 'love' side over time and future revisits. I don't get why everyone loved A Bigger Splash so much, though I didn't dislike it either.

Guadagnino has so many "next" projects lined up already, and who's to say they'll all stay in play if he starts to bomb. Of all of them, I'm most curious for his sequel to Call Me By Your Name, which is funny because that's a completely unnecessary project after the perfect ending of the first (though there could be a good story, I haven't read the books)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:52 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 pm
Can't tell if you're calling the De Palma film the original version of this story, but that honor of course goes to John Woo's Scar/Face

dda1996a

#41 Post by dda1996a » Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 am

I dislike I Am Love and A Bigger Splash, and Suspiria was just awful adding exactly what you didn't need to add. I think the worst aspects of those three films is Guadagnino adding unnecessary and very shallow political aspects that serve no purpose in the film. Which I feel will happen here as well. Also his last short film that played on Mubi was also awful.
I just think he only knows how to get attraction/seduction right - the only two scenes I remember in Love and Splash are the seduction scenes which he shoots in a unique way - which didn't surprise me when I enjoyed CMbYN so much as it's just that (and more) for the entire movie.

therewillbeblus

#42 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 am

Even though I don’t disagree with you that the three you didn’t like have their problems, at this point I think we’re just seeing different movies because Call Me By Your Name was definitely more than just a series or attraction/seduction scenes. Those actually impacted me much less than the subtle emotions barely held back under authentic exteriors, and the relationship portion and moments beyond the “attraction/seduction” were why I liked it. Maybe you were generalizing but that feels like an uncharitable reading to the complexities at play.

beamish14

#43 Post by beamish14 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Altair wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Well, it's still incredibly shocking in many scenes (the chainsaw death in particular), it's eminently quotable, the soundtrack is rightly highly
regarded (and I'm glad De Palma exercised his final cut right decades later to tell Universal to piss-off with their idea of substituting the cues
chosen with hip-hop songs), and it's just relentlessly entertaining. It's Horatio Alger with pet tigers, cocaine, and the Mariel boatlift.

I have no faith in Guadagnino adding anything to it. The fact that we already know that the locale has changed from Miami to Los Angeles
(let me guess-this Tony will try to become legitimate through the film industry? No, thanks) is enough of a red flag.

In all honesty, though, I'd really be surprised it this actually ends up filming, as Universal also trumpeted a remake of Videodrome that failed to
take off.

dda1996a

#44 Post by dda1996a » Fri May 15, 2020 5:17 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 am
Even though I don’t disagree with you that the three you didn’t like have their problems, at this point I think we’re just seeing different movies because Call Me By Your Name was definitely more than just a series or attraction/seduction scenes. Those actually impacted me much less than the subtle emotions barely held back under authentic exteriors, and the relationship portion and moments beyond the “attraction/seduction” were why I liked it. Maybe you were generalizing but that feels like an uncharitable reading to the complexities at play.
Not what I meant to say. I really like the film, which is mostly because it plays to his strengths of sensuality (a better word than the ones I used really) and focusing on it throughout the film. I also think that Ivory's screenplay anchored the film and it's lack of irrelevant political message while focusing more on it's characters emotions made it such a good film. Obviously things that were missing in the terrible Suspiria (which is a feat to make a sillier film than an Argento Giallo; I think the original is ok and I'm not a big fan of the genre, but still).
I think because the entirety of CMbYN is sensual and romantic played to his better side, but it's not the only good thing about it.