Untitled Star Wars Film (Taika Waititi, 202?)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Untitled Star Wars Film (Taika Waititi, 202?)

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 04, 2020 12:30 pm

So you’re saying you’d like to keep far, far away from this film

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 pm

I do kinda wanna see how silly he can make a protractor

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Can't wait for the Reddit posts analyzing the symbolic function of fuschia versus cerulean stormtroopers

knives

#6 Post by knives » Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 pm

Have you all only seen two of his films? He's very diverse in his talent pool.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 04, 2020 1:03 pm

I think you missed the target I was aiming at

knives

#8 Post by knives » Mon May 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Maybe? I am certainly confused now.

Nasir007

#9 Post by Nasir007 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:15 pm

I guess I had missed the early January report already stating this news but seems to me the most evitable news of blockbuster film-making.

You can see the wheels turning in the Hollywood factory from afar.

therewillbeblus

#10 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 pm

His Thor was the best Marvel movie (though this doesn't say a lot coming from me) by turning it into a decent comedy so if he does that to Star Wars it might work for those who aren't committed to taking it super seriously. I've liked most of his work to some extent, but his last feature really cast a light on the forcefulness of his approach to comedy which rubbed me the wrong way.

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pm

It'd be hilarious if Kennedy decided halfway through filming she didn't like his irreverent approach any more than she did Lord and Miller's. But he's probably also more efficient in hitting the daily target of scenes to be shot which appears to have been the other beef she had with Lord and Miller.

therewillbeblus

#12 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 04, 2020 5:02 pm

He also won an Oscar, not that this means much but it'd be weird to fire a recent acclaimed award-winner. I also have to think that Kennedy hired him based off what he did with Thor, taking a sharp left turn in another giant franchise, or at the very least she knows what she's in for.

Nasir007

#13 Post by Nasir007 » Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 pm

He’s too big to fire now. KK will have to take what she gets. Not to say they can’t totally bastardize the movie like they did Rise of Skywalker even with a star director attached.

And whose to say if this is as real as the new theatrical Star Wars films that were announced with Rian Johnson and the GOT guys.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 04, 2020 7:20 pm

Nasir007 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 pm
He’s too big to fire now. KK will have to take what she gets. Not to say they can’t totally bastardize the movie like they did Rise of Skywalker even with a star director attached.
I mean, my understanding was that a big problem with the Han Solo movie was the directors not treating the script with reverence. Since Waititi is co-penning this himself, they can just pass if it doesn’t look like the kind of Star Wars movie they want. But since his Mandalorian episode was well-received, I’m guessing whatever he pitched was something they wanted and that was the test-run for this

Finch

#15 Post by Finch » Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 am

Waititi is apparently well liked in the industry but I don't know that a screenplay Oscar gives you that much more leeway if the Disney shareholders and Alan Horn and the new CEO happen to see the film and decide it's a bad investment of their money. Abrams has been around for longer and with an even more impressive record, and still was ultimately refused the creative freedom they promised him on the back of Episode 7. Whether the film those who care get to see is really Waititi's or Disney's will be a sign of just how much clout he really has. Of course Disney has to be aware that yet another fallout could permanently scare off anyone who isn't a journeyman (not that I think Waititi is particularly innovative or a major director, definitely not on the evidence of his American films so far!) happy to cash the check but if it came to that, Jon Favreau would be happy to oblige.

colinr0380

#16 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:27 am

Nasir007 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 pm
He’s too big to fire now. KK will have to take what she gets.
Yeah, but is he Ron Howard big?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#17 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:20 pm
I mean, my understanding was that a big problem with the Han Solo movie was the directors not treating the script with reverence.
From reports like this, it sounds like the biggest dealbreaker was the amount of time (and overtime) that Lord and Miller were spending on improvising and trying out different approaches. There was supposedly a lot of improv on Thor: Ragnarok too, but it doesn't appear to have been an especially ordinate amount, and I get the impression it was more of a "line-o-rama" approach. With Solo you had Emilia Clarke saying "I think they were figuring it out" five months into principal photography.