Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
dda1996a

Re: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

#351 Post by dda1996a » Tue May 21, 2019 1:34 pm

But isn't Tarantino a cultural darling? I mean I don't love the guy but I was always under the impression he's almost bulletproof as well. Not that I would want him to come under fire.. for this

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#352 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:36 pm

I think it's important I contextualize: No one is like, calling for his career to be over because of that letter, some people were just taking the predictable "What an obnoxious brat" side, even though there's absolutely nothing obnoxious about that letter vs, say, an entire studio-funded hashtag campaign about not spoiling Avengers: Endgame. People just don't like being told what to do by someone they already dislike.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#353 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Initial impressions out of the first Cannes screening are very positive, with a surprising amount of people saying how moving the ending of the film is - maybe Tarantino isn't doing a revisionist history this time after all. Apparently Pitt turns in the standout performance, and Robbie is "heartbreaking"

A friendly reminder to this forum, now, that if you stumble upon spoilers for this one, you should use spoiler tags or you will be not only virtually banned, but hunted down and murdered in real life.

dda1996a

#354 Post by dda1996a » Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Wait, who dislikes Tarantino and since when? I am not a big fan, and I always disliked how he and Nolan we're raised above as the greatest living thing ever™! but I'd always look forward to another thing they do, even if with less enthusiasm than many other directors I like a lot more. But this does look different than everything post Jackie Brown so I'm in. And L.A in the 60/70 is already attractive for me

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#355 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:55 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm
Wait, who dislikes Tarantino and since when?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#356 Post by swo17 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Read the Busy Phillips link mfunk just posted or basically: he defended Polanski once and Uma Thurman got injured during an irresponsibly orchestrated stunt while shooting Kill Bill. He's addressed these things (and I believe reconciled with Thurman) but not adequately for some people.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#357 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Right, but people just being rubbed the wrong way by him dates back way further than that: I feel like you're either with Tarantino's public persona or against it, and in this day and age that target always seems to be moving for a multitude of reasons. There are plenty of "I only liked Jackie Brown" film snobs who'll tell you how bad of a filmmaker he is, too

Big Ben

#358 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Uma Thurman's daughter Maya is actually in this film so I'm going to go ahead and say that they're more than okay. As for the Polanski thing Tarantino called and apologized to Samantha Geimer. She accepted his apology and from what I understand they're on good terms (She's a big fan of True Romance.).

dda1996a

#359 Post by dda1996a » Tue May 21, 2019 2:20 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm
Initial impressions out of the first Cannes screening are very positive, with a surprising amount of people saying how moving the ending of the film is - maybe Tarantino isn't doing a revisionist history this time after all. Apparently Pitt turns in the standout performance, and Robbie is "heartbreaking"

A friendly reminder to this forum, now, that if you stumble upon spoilers for this one, you should use spoiler tags or you will be not only virtually banned, but hunted down and murdered in real life.
Is the first showing not the one for the jury? It showed the film starts at 6:00, which would end at 8:40 ish Cannes time, which is an hour behind my time and it's 9:19 here...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#360 Post by swo17 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm
Uma Thurman's daughter Maya is actually in this film so I'm going to go ahead and say that they're more than okay. As for the Polanski thing Tarantino called and apologized to Samantha Geimer. She accepted his apology and from what I understand they're on good terms (She's a big fan of True Romance.).
Right but this is 2019

rawlinson

#361 Post by rawlinson » Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm

From what I saw the reason some people are saying they're upset is the wording of the letter suggests to them he's acting like the worst kind of fan - wanting to see reviews of something but if the reviews mention anything at all about the content of the film they'll scream about how the film has now been ruined for them. I don't think that's what Tarantino is doing, I think he's just asking for nothing major to be spoiled, but that seems to be how some people have read it. But film twitter, like twitter in general, exists in a state of permanent outrage.

Finch

#362 Post by Finch » Tue May 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Early reactions to the new Tarantino:

#OnceUponATimeInHollywood: Quentin Tarantino wants to tell us a story about Hollywood life at the time of the Manson Family slayings of ’69, and man, does he ever, going from awestruck to WTF. Brad Pitt the standout, his coolest role yet. #Cannes2019 pic.twitter.com/WgJywDPW9i

— Peter Howell (@peterhowellfilm) May 21, 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: QT’s latest has some of the best sequences of his career, but also some of the draggiest. A scrambling, ambitious, maddening, beautiful film. Brad Pitt steals the show. DiCaprio, as always, fantastic. #Cannes2019

— Jordan Ruimy @ Cannes (@mrRuimy) May 21, 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: Tarantino wasn’t joking when he said this was the closest to PULP FICTION that he has come. He juggles a mosaic of characters and story-lines in this one, eventually stringing them together for a relentlessly playful and touching finale. #Cannes2019

— Jordan Ruimy @ Cannes (@mrRuimy) May 21, 2019

I reeeeally liked ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD #Cannes2019

— Emma Stefansky (@stefabsky) May 21, 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD – Historically dubious, thematically brilliant, QT finds his form in film that could win Palme d’Or or be picketed by audiences, or maybe both. Thrilling, provocative, blackly comical, intensely unsettling masterwork. #cannes2019

— Jason Gorber – at #Cannes2019 (@filmfest_ca) May 21, 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD is absurdly baggy and often careless in its treatment of people who deserve better. But individual scenes zing like nobody’s business and the ambience is delicious. A significant improvement on HATEFUL EIGHT. #cannes2019 #OnceUponATimeinHollywood

🥃Donald Clarke📽 (@DonaldClarke63) May 21, 2019

Quentin Tarantino’s brilliant exploitation black-comedy Once Upon A Time In Hollywood finds a pulp-fictionally redemptive take on the Manson nightmare: shocking, gripping, dazzlingly shot in the celluloid-primary colours of sky blue and sunset gold. Review later #Cannes2019

— Peter Bradshaw (@PeterBradshaw1) May 21, 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: Like a lot of recent Tarantino, this is baggy, self-indulgent, fascinatingly its own thing and ambitiously conceived. Of course it’s accomplished, sometimes dazzlingly so, but it ends up being as hit-or-miss as his last few. #Cannes2019

— Tim Grierson (@TimGrierson) May 21, 2019

To be completely honest I’m not yet sure what to make of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Need to let this one marinate, don’t have an instant reaction. Most of the film is pretty good, I’m having fun watching them play around in late 60s Hollywood. Then the finale is HOLY FUCK.

— Alex Billington @ Cannes (@firstshowing) May 21, 2019

#PremiereReview once upon a time in Hollywood: the most enjoyable and cerebral Tarantino for some time Brad Pitt steals show as stuntman. Might need some tightening up in the February sequence in the edit before release but the August pay off is huge pic.twitter.com/yRUV6XPmjq

— Kaleem Aftab (@aftabamon) May 21, 2019

I laughed. I gasped. I wondered: What would Roman Polanski think? I begrudgingly agreed not to tweet out spoilers. Tarantino delivers an ode to Hollywood’s lost innocence, while cheekily suggesting it never had any to begin with. #OnceUponATimeinHollywood #Cannes2019 pic.twitter.com/DBgriD2Ihb

— Chris Knight (@ChrisKnightfilm) May 21, 2019

Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood is so gloriously, wickedly indulgent, compelling and hilarious. The film QT was born to make. The world is a more colourful place in Quentin Tarantino’s twilight zone. Round two, please. #Cannes2019

— Joe Utichi (@joeutichi) May 21, 2019

There will be many, many hot takes to come on the new Tarantino but I don’t mind letting mine cool off on the counter a little longer. I know it’s more relaxed than I was expecting, and that DiCaprio is terrific, funny and poignant. The rest, I’m gonna mull over. #Cannes2019

— Kyle Buchanan (@kylebuchanan) May 21, 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD is more languorous and luminous than anything Tarantino has done before. Radiant w/ affection for Los Angeles and the movies. Ambles and drags but pleasantly so. Pitt & DiCaprio are fabulous, Pitt especially. I could watch them drive around LA a lot.

— Jake Coyle (@jakecoyleAP) May 21, 2019

black&huge

#363 Post by black&huge » Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm
As far as I'm concerned there is no other way to word this spoiler warning. Perfectly said!

mteller

#364 Post by mteller » Tue May 21, 2019 3:09 pm

I guess "baggy" is the hot new critic adjective?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#365 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:43 pm

black&huge

#367 Post by black&huge » Tue May 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Read it earlier. Very good read. For those interested in knowing how the movie is structured in terms of passage of time:
SpoilerShow
it takes place in the span of three days: february 8,9 and August 9

flyonthewall2983

#368 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:51 pm

So no original score?

bearcuborg

#369 Post by bearcuborg » Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 pm

I can’t say I’m anymore excited about the film with the full trailer, as Pacino looks like a bit of ham, and perhaps Robbie has limitations as an actor (she never did much for me anyway)-but nothing was ever going to keep me from this. I’m excited to see this...

It seemed the spoiler backlash was mostly among critics? Matt Zoller Seitz had a rather silly one about knowing the twist to Psycho, Halloween, Alien etc and it didn’t change his experience (as far as he could tell) but I see nothing wrong with Quentin’s request.

Finch

#370 Post by Finch » Tue May 21, 2019 9:56 pm

First official reviews are in from Variety and THR, with both publications saying this is a very good film that falls short of true greatness (but comes closer to achieving it than Django and much more so than The Hateful Eight).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#371 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:38 am

bearcuborg wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 pm
and perhaps Robbie has limitations as an actor (she never did much for me anyway)
Trying to figure out what part of the trailer exhibits Robbie's limitations as an actor

Persona

#372 Post by Persona » Wed May 22, 2019 10:40 am

I wasn't all that excited for this one, but I've always been a sucker for good endings so if the ending in this one is as good as they are making it out to be then I could see this being my favorite QT since Death Proof.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#373 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:42 am

SpoilerShow
I haven't read anything that I can chalk up to an out & out spoiler, but I think I may have been able to piece together that if you like the way Death Proof ended, this might be quite similar, just with a gender reversal
That said, probably a bad idea to get into a spoiler boxed convo when I'm not going to be clicking any in here.

KJones77

#374 Post by KJones77 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm
mfunk talks about Film Twitter being awful and he's right. It's an absolute dumpster fire of opinion that simultaneously demands that you respect people and then dunks on you for not sharing a certain opinion. It ranges from downright bad takes sometimes to outwardly malicious on occasion. Hell, when Spielberg had his little thing with Netflix some time ago people were outright saying he was a hack fraud and not any good now. I mean what?
This tweet being a perfect example. Apparently film critics seeing and tweeting their opinions about Tarantino's new film is...not ok? They have to be shamed for having the gall to do so instead of criticizing him for the Uma Thurman stuff again.

What he did with her was obviously wrong, but she forgave him and they moved on. That's good enough for me, but I guess you're now just an enabling POS if you dare to respect that and share an opinion on his film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#375 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 22, 2019 1:03 pm

It’s always amusing when someone says they “give zero fucks” or a relevant equivalent, when ignoring the response instead of replying would be the actual evidence of that