Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Quilty

Re: Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011)

#51 Post by Quilty » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 pm

I share much of the same sentiment as mfunk9786 (that Shame flag is looking a bit heavy right now). I can't dispute the indie conventions, nor the resignation from McQueen to dramatize the suicide attempt in such trivial manner, but despite these grievances, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It's not perfect by any means but there is an honesty about it and, as over used as this word is in regards to this film, the rawness is undeniable.

Matt, I feel your criticism is the strongest. I went in expecting McQueen to actually delve into the psychological turmoil in the context of sex addiction being a disease, instead, it was - as you said - substituting one addiction for another. I was able to then appreciate the film as a character study, which was made easy by the performances of all involved.

As for the binge towards the end:
SpoilerShow
I attribute it to Brandon's frenzied state after being punished by that woman's boyfriend. He so desperately needed to find retribution that he resorted to sex, the only thing he can control and find comfort in, with a man. The intense make out and the subsequent receiving of the blow job was as more about dominating than it was about his homosexuality. That club reminded me instantly of RECTUM in Roeg's Irreverisble, which is a despicable and aggressive cesspool. This scene worked well for me, the Shawshank Redemption act in the rain didn't.
The fact that McQueen left Brandon as a damaged and flawed character made me appreciate the film so much more. The somewhat ambiguous ending was very satisfying as well. I can't wait to buy this once it releases.

John Cope

#52 Post by John Cope » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Not sure how I feel about this.

Murdoch

#53 Post by Murdoch » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Eww, that poster is best left to the bottom of the page.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#54 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 am

Glenn Kenny summed up the film's merits better than I can, but this was quite impressive. A step up from Hunger, definitely. Fassbender really surprised me as I didn't get a handle on Brandon until the dinner date scene - that waiter was pretty funny - and everything clicked. I was sold on what he was doing from then on. Although it might be the shock considering the other roles I've seen her take, but I think that Carey Mulligan was even better. I haven't seen a character like that since some of my favorite Jennifer Jason Leigh roles. The relationship of Sissy and Brandon intrigued me greatly due to her alone. The contrast of her yearning to be loved and Brandon's shutting down of similar emotions was also quite fascinating. As Kenny noted, she and Brandon inhabit the different zones of addiction so the ways they reached out (or didn't) were some of the more fascinating psychological elements of the film. As ugly as everything became later on, I was really moved by the plight of the two. This was incredibly sad, but humane. I thought everything was handled rather well. I was somewhat amused by the use of Glenn Gould's Bach, however. In the novel Silence of the Lambs, it's noted that Gould is Lecter's preferred Bach performer. It might not be important as Gould is a well-known musician and his Bach recording quite famous, but with American Psycho mentioned in conjunction with Shame it came to my mind to think of another "psycho". Otherwise, it was a lovely respite to hear Bach in this film.

Quilty

#55 Post by Quilty » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

I agree, the performances were very convincing. I remember sitting in the theater during the phone conversation sissy was having and just feeling terrible sorrow for her. You could literally feel the unease of Brandon as he listened through the walls.

R0lf

#56 Post by R0lf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Finch wrote:Reverse Shot have Shame at the top of their worst films of 2011:
... It’s obnoxious that McQueen clearly thinks he can get away with passing off such tomfoolery as profound; that he’s gone further and weighed the already heavy film down with the most self-serious molasses-thick score in recent memory (even a habitual button-pusher like John Williams would cringe), is arrogance of the highest order.
YES. It was so heavy handed my mind tuned it out and played Diana Ross over those scenes instead.

James Mills

#57 Post by James Mills » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 pm

This was easily my favorite film of 2011. In fact, this was the only film that I can honestly say I "loved" this year. I grew up raising my little sister through a very rough (albeit not sexually) childhood, and McQueen nailed the feeling of guilt that is reciprocated between siblings over their transgressions, especially when they only have each other and feel so unloved because of lacking other sources of affection.

This is why I don't agree with a lot of the readings and interpretations of this film that I have read in this thread thus far. This film is much deeper than simply a study on sex addiction to me. Their actions are shameful in many other ways (adultery, lying, selfishness, insensitivity, etc.), and seeing one another reminds them of the innocence they've lost years ago. I can't think of a better way to transmit this idea than through Brandon's single tear as he watches Sissy sing a song about feeling so alone in a crowded city. To me, this film is about the actions and thoughts we partake in that we would not share with those that we either look up to or are supposed to be role modeling for. I think the (more cliche) theme of compromising our familial connections for ulterior sources of attention, especially sexual, is merely subsidiary.

McQueen's direction was entrancing. I found Hunger somewhat forced and gimmicky, but this was perfectly translucent and undistracting (the type of verite realism I think he was going for with Hunger). I see so much talk about his long takes in this thread, and while I agree that they were every bit extraordinary, I hope that they weren't self reflexive enough to make you notice them while viewing the film. I think the beauty in them is in not realizing them, just as a master cinematographer can ease you into a setting without you ever even thinking of how it was lit. Some of this film's shots were just so engaging to me for these reasons.
hearthesilence wrote:I had one friend who interpreted it the same way - "So we're supposed to be horrified that he's going to a GAY club?" When I saw it, I didn't think the same thing, but it does feel mishandled now. The self-degradation of a sexual act with a (presumably) random stranger is most likely the intention, but if memory serves, it's the only incident of male homosexuality in the film, which really muddles things.

I actually liked the film, but the last quarter, when he goes on a sexual binge (including this scene), was a major letdown.
I felt that his homosexual actions were not meant to be viewed as "bad", but rather just to emphasize how far he'll go to feel wanted. He is not a homosexual, but he would engage in homosexual activities if he could not feel wanted from anything else; this is my interpretation. He no longer can accept love from his sister because she reflects all of the insecurities and monstrosities about himself that they both feel, they both know in one another. Again, just my reading.

As for the ending, I will admit that I immediately thought "Oh please, don't ruin a perfect film with some cliche punishments to overstate or shoehorn the themes I already feel!" when the first jump cut showed him with his face cut, but as it played out, I think it actually worked. If nothing else, I thought it set up the final shot perfectly. On that note:
SpoilerShow
What does everyone think his choice was? Does the suicidal cry of help form his sister do enough to get him to divest his attention to more appropriate and fulfilling areas than other people's wives? I can't really make a choice either way
Last edited by James Mills on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#58 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Might want to spoiler tag some of that.

knives

#59 Post by knives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 pm

James Mills wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:I had one friend who interpreted it the same way - "So we're supposed to be horrified that he's going to a GAY club?" When I saw it, I didn't think the same thing, but it does feel mishandled now. The self-degradation of a sexual act with a (presumably) random stranger is most likely the intention, but if memory serves, it's the only incident of male homosexuality in the film, which really muddles things.

I actually liked the film, but the last quarter, when he goes on a sexual binge (including this scene), was a major letdown.
I felt that his homosexual actions were not meant to be viewed as "bad", but rather just to emphasize how far he'll go to feel wanted. He is not a homosexual, but he would engage in homosexual activities if he could not feel wanted from anything else; this is my interpretation.
That line of thinking while not as bad is still a little homophobic. If you're regularly engaging in gay sex whether you admit it to yourself or not that means by some degree you're gay/bi/whatever. It is used, as you yourself recognize, as a signifier for how far his problem has gone, whatever problem you want to point to is entirely your call, which is under any other name a negative thing. The act of homosexual sex whatever caveats you fill it with is used in the film to convey a negative.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#60 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:18 pm

But is that because it's homosexual sex or easy to find anonymous sex? I still don't read the film as trying to tell us that homosexual sex is by any means rock bottom. Frankly, I don't see that night as rock bottom for Fassbender's character, but rather what is likely an example of the sorts of jags he engages in from time to time if pressed by some sort of stress.

James Mills

#61 Post by James Mills » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:32 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Might want to spoiler tag some of that.
Highlighted the last stanza and accidentally hit "quote" instead of "spoiler", thanks for the catch.

knives, to me it's not about "how bad it gets," but just simply how far he'll go for these feelings. What he's doing isn't bad or morally wrong, and I don't think it's meant to be portrayed negatively so much as to emphasize that this momentary affectionate connection with someone is so necessary that he will attain it by any means.

The way he consciously stops and decides whether or not to go in makes me wonder if this is a "rock bottom" situation or rather just another night (which his stoic subway ride home seems to implicate), but I don't think either connotes homosexuality as bad, but rather just the impersonality of his sexual actions in going to a place like that (no matter the gender). While I'll admit that the place being male and gay based isn't exactly arbitrary, it does emphasize the extent to which Brandon will go to feel wanted, and I think that's its real purpose (as opposed to suggesting that he'll "do something as gross as be gay!").

It's a slippery slope and I can see how some would view it otherwise, though.

Mr Sausage

#62 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:36 pm

knives wrote:If you're regularly engaging in gay sex whether you admit it to yourself or not that means by some degree you're gay/bi/whatever.
I think it's useful to keep in mind Gore Vidal's distinction between a homosexual act and a homosexual person.
knives wrote:The act of homosexual sex whatever caveats you fill it with is used in the film to convey a negative.
If you crave sex so badly that you're accepting it from people you feel no sexual attraction to whatsoever, it definitely is a negative. The negative isn't the thing itself (homosexuality), but the reasons for seeking it out, which in Brandon's are clearly not healthy.

knives

#63 Post by knives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:01 pm

The distance thing is still showing homosexuality as a negative though. Without question the film makes it clear that aspects of this are just an other night, but the film also shows that scene in a way to use your words, "Look how far he's going; it's all gay now." My problem is with the film using these acts as a measuring stick where homosexuality is the tip. How is engaging with another man sexually evidence of how far Brandon will go to feel wanted beyond what the film emphasizes as such? If somebody wrongly identifies as purely hetero when there's some homo in there there's nothing with engaging in homosexuality. I think that scene and the film as a whole grossly misidentifies everything about Brandon and this is just another part of that. It is homophobic to go as the film does, "Wow. can you believe that he is so isolated and so starved for love that he'll have sex with an other man even though he's straight." You're not that straight if you're fucking dudes.

Edit: That's a significantly better argument though to jump past it slightly why does the emphasis in the film then as part of that montage emphasize the thing versus the action. I actually agree with you on that and it was probably McQueen's intention (being gay himself), but as is shown in the film it becomes about the thing at least as much as the action.

Peacock

#64 Post by Peacock » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 pm

knives wrote:(being gay himself
(He's straight)

knives

#65 Post by knives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Really? I could have sworn that he was gay. I remember reading an interview otherwise, but that may have been a misreading.

James Mills

#66 Post by James Mills » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:23 pm

knives wrote: It is homophobic to go as the film does, "Wow. can you believe that he is so isolated and so starved for love that he'll have sex with an other man even though he's straight." You're not that straight if you're fucking dudes.
I disagree with this. Sausage's stance on this particular matter represents my own. He could have been having his dog lick peanut butter off his balls and it would have been the same: he's sexually acquiring affectionate attention from something he isn't sexually attracted to.

knives

#67 Post by knives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Hare said it better than me.

Mr Sausage

#68 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm

David Hare wrote:Sausage, is not Vidal in fact saying (all through his career) there is no such thing as a homosexual (or heterosexual) person but only homosexual (or heterosexual) acts. In other words he's denying the medicalizing/demonizing/identity containment of people into late nineteenth century classificatory terms. Adjectives not nouns. I totally agree with him, although I (like a lot of homosexually identifying people) am often sloppy with in my own language. But it's not easy to make people understand all the time.
Yes, he is pointing out the difference between an act an an identity. It's a useful distinction to make, whether or not you agree totally with Vidal or not.

In the case of Brendan: having sex with men because you find men sexually appealing or attractive probably means you're gay. Having sex with men in spite of the fact that you don't find them sexually appealing or attractive, well, calling that person gay doesn't explain anything, so probably not.

R0lf

#69 Post by R0lf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am

It isn't the context in the film that makes it offensive.

It's the director using the audiences knee jerk reaction and association that homosexuality is bad.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#70 Post by Brian C » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am

R0lf wrote:It isn't the context in the film that makes it offensive.

It's the director using the audiences knee jerk reaction and association that homosexuality is bad.
I don't quite understand this argument. Are you describing your own reaction here? Or just assuming that audiences' reactions will be knee jerk?

R0lf

#71 Post by R0lf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:36 am

I'm describing the way the scene has been deliberately executed with the perspective that homosexulity is bad. Dramatically it doesn't work otherwise.

Aspect

#72 Post by Aspect » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 am

From an interview with McQueen:
SpoilerShow
Q: In the last movement of the film, when Brandon is hitting rock bottom, he ends up having sex with a guy in a seedy gay nightclub. The way it’s shot, it almost feels like Brandon is going into hell.

A: Well, it’s about sex, isn’t it. It’s not about heterosexuality or homosexuality. It’s like a drug addict or an alcoholic—they’ll polish off whatever they can get at the time. It’s not hell for the gay men who are participating in sex. They’re having a great time. It’s Brandon’s hell, not their hell. That’s the difference.

Q. Did it concern you at all that we see gay sexuality portrayed so rarely in movies, and when we do it tends to be negative—

A. It wasn’t negative at all. It’s not judgmental, there’s no judging. Brandon is the intruder.
I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on context, but I'm not sure he really makes a convincing case for the scene not being negative when the interviewer appears to think it is.

arsonfilms

#73 Post by arsonfilms » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:33 am

It's a tricky scene in that regard, because it IS meant to be negative, but not in the way that you would think based on just a description of the scene. The important part of the context that always seems to be left out is that immediately preceding the gay nightclub scene, Brandon tries to sneak past the bouncer at a straight club and is thrown out. When he goes to the gay club, it's like his supply of one drug is cut off and he has to substitute another. The sexual politics of the fact that his low point is during a same sex encounter certainly complicates the interpretation, but I don't read the scene as anti-gay at all. It's a negative scene because he's a junky on a binge, not because the binge includes gay sex.

James Mills

#74 Post by James Mills » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:00 am

Fwiw, I saw an interview a few days ago in which McQueen tersely states that that scene is his "rock bottom, his OD if you will" so I don't think i's meant to be interpreted as just another night. I still don't believe this makes the scene homophobic, however. I'm still of my earlier opinion: "He could have been having his dog lick peanut butter off his balls and it would have been the same: he's sexually acquiring affectionate attention from something he isn't sexually attracted to."

HistoryProf

#75 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:45 am

david hare wrote:YES IT IS!!!

It's one of the big BIG moments of complete Homophobia in the last twenty years. And the absolute worst. The whole movie is a piece of arthouse shit. But the screamingly obvious homophobia is only the beginning - as they say.

THe basic fact is this.

MCQueen is a STUPID STUPID MAN who doesn't have a clue how to direct a movie. SO - he says - let's do THIS (gay bar) scene with no shading whatsoever, and leave it all up to the audience to do - uhh - dah shading. Duh. It's meaningful. Duh.

No more politesse from me kiddo.

Here's an example - really simple FILMschool 101 (Ive never been BTW)

If McQueen wanted to show the gay bar scene as "neutral" at least in terms of the actor and context, if not the already totally phony "Morality" he's set up why doesnt he show the actor actually engaging and responding within that context, with things like body language, expression, or indeed with mise en scene - which is I am sure a term which MCqueen is deeply unaware, and incapable of using or expressing. You get better mise en scene these days from a fucking Doctor WHO Vid from the 90s.
THis could have been a useful if not agreeable movie But it is a wreck totally by confirming every suspicion I had from the first moments of its shabby shallow cheap provencance: how much McQueen and the whole picture stinks of toxic bourgeois Neocon anti sex Control freakery.
I have to agree with David on this one. I watched this last night and let it sink in today before posting, but seeing this thread 24 hours later I'm glad to see I am not alone in my initial perceptions. Overall, the film suffers from the same malady Hunger did: all style w/ very little substance. McQueen is clearly very talented with a camera, but he seems incapable of creating cinema that conveys any sense of character beyond rudimentary categories. He throws us a bone with one of Sissy's voicemails where she says "we're not bad people, we just come from a bad place" - but that is it in terms of context for Brandon and his sister. we have no idea why both of them are so fucked up. and frankly, we don't even really get much beyond snapshots of how exactly Brandon is screwed up. He stares a lot, has a nice dick, and clearly has intimacy issues, but so what? What in this film provides any thread to grab onto that makes me care? It is mindbogglingly superficial for all its pretension to profundity.

As for the gay scene, if it's really meant to be just another aspect of his addiction, then why does the gay bar have to be this bizarre 1980s den of iniquity with men writhing in dirty plywood cubicles between plastic sheeting? Why are all of the other scenes in his chic apartment, or upscale restaurant bars? Where, I might add, all he has to do is sit there broodingly, refuse to dance with a woman, let his boss make an ass of himself, and then get picked up walking home by the hot blonde who he can then fuck in a viaduct. Skills. Even the prostitutes come to him, or he visits their swinging, clean, upscale pads. The only "depravity" in the film is that single moment, which is made as dirty as it could possibly be in order to convey just how low he's fallen. I can not possibly imagine how he could have made that scene more insulting to an entire class of people. If he were making a movie about a bulimic, the only analogy that fits would be that the otherwise upscale white collar victim hit such a bottom that he ended up in the ghetto at a 24 hour chicken and waffles joint and asked for sweet tea and watermelon for dessert - all while refusing to look any black patrons in the eye because, as we all know, they're depraved people who really eat that crap!

The one moment that drew me in hopefully - where I thought we might actually be getting somewhere - is with the coworker. The date scene was well done, the other scene with her really starts to hit home, and then nothing. we never see her again. It's like McQueen was afraid to broach the feelings Brandon is clearly trying to subsume within his sex life. Instead of moving the narrative forward, all we get is Fassbender staring intently some more. There could and should have been repercussions at work (which he seems to simply cease going to altogether) that might give us some sense of the spiral we are supposed to believe he's in, but because there aren't how do we know this isn't just another week in his sad life? There are NO CONSEQUENCES to his actions. none. his boss blames porn on his computer on an intern and then he never goes back to work. that's a nice job.

And finally, I had heard how impressive the NY NY scene was in the posh club and was flabbergasted at how bad it was as I watched. I actually rewound to see what I was missing...but nope, it's nothing but a terrible rendition of a classic song with more intent staring and a hint of a tear for Brandon. a tear that of course leads us nowhere because McQueen refuses to actually reveal anything about these people. So all we're left with is a remarkably brave performance by Fassbender - who again proves he has skyrocketed to the top of his profession - that is impressive to watch (even if the intent staring gets a bit tiresome) and I forgave the final breakdown in the rain since that's clearly not his fault. He executed it as well as one could hope such a cliche could be executed. But that coupled with Sissy's actions pushed the film into laughable indulgence in the end, made all the more insipid by the blatant homophobia of his "OD", to quote mr. McQueen.

This is now two films I was incredibly excited for that I have found lacking in every way. I don't know what i seem to be missing, but so far my only impression of McQueen as a filmmaker is a man with the chops to frame pretty pictures hampered by an almost total inability to actually direct a competent FILM. He's an impressive visual artist, but I just don't think cinema is his medium. And I hate that he's made me agree with people like Lisa Schwarzbaum ("The biggest surprise in Shame is how distanced, passionless, and merely skin-deep the director's attention is - how little he cares about the subject of his own movie."). Slate's 2011 year-in-review blurb summed up things nicely in my opinion:
Shame, which feels fraudulent in every way, from its gleaming surfaces to its laughably overblown soundtrack to the perfect teardrop rolling over Michael Fassbender’s perfect cheekbone in that perfect lounge where, in real life, no one would ever let Carey Mulligan sing a shoe-gaze “New York, New York.” Oh and what about the scene where he jogs to classical music? Or the part where his addiction drags him so deep into hell that he (gasp) gets a blowjob from a dude in a dimly-lit sex club? (As the writer Bryan Safi noted on Twitter, “I'd love to see a movie where a strung-out gay guy sinks so low and degrades himself so much for his addiction, he hooks up with a woman.”)
This is a dismal failure made all the worse by its insulting ant-gay sentiments and reliance on rudimentary people-in-despair cliches that doesn't even have the courtesy to provide anything remotely close to actual three dimensional people in its "story."
Last edited by HistoryProf on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.