148 No Orchids for Miss Blandish

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

148 No Orchids for Miss Blandish

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:10 am

NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH
(St John L Clowes, 1948)
Release date: 27 May 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition [/b]

Possibly the most controversial British film ever produced, this lurid crime drama caused an unprecedented storm of controversy upon release: local councils banned it, the Bishop of London denounced it, and MPs demanded an investigation into the BBFC for allowing it to be seen.

Based on the notorious novel by James Hadley Chase (which itself was condemned by George Orwell), No Orchids for Miss Blandish is a mixture of sex, violence and immorality, and tells the brutal story of a kidnapped heiress who falls for one of her crazed captors.

This fascinating example of British film noir, which the Monthly Film Bulletin described as “the most sickening exhibition of brutality, perversion, sex and sadism ever to be shown on a cinema screen”, is now released on UK Blu-ray for the very first time.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
Miss Blandish and the Censor (2019): ex-BBFC examiner Richard Falcon discusses the controversial film's history with the British Board of Film Censors
• Interview with producer Richard Gordon and actor Richard Neilson (2010, 35 mins): filmed interview with the famed US distributor-producer, and the actor
Soldier, Sailor (1945, 51 mins): World War II docudrama, conceived by No Orchids for Miss Blandish’s writer-director St John Legh Clowes
• Original British and American theatrical trailers
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Robert Murphy, analysis of the different versions of the source novel, an extract from an essay on No Orchids for Miss Blandish by George Orwell, news accounts of the controversy surrounding the film’s release, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD148
BBFC cert: PG
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071960

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 148 No Orchids for Miss Blandish

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:12 am

My writeup
No Orchids For Miss Blandish (St John Legh Clowes 1948) An heiress is kidnapped by, well, a lot of people over the course of this James Hadley Chase adaptation. This is an odd film— a British production and starring British actors with “American” accents, it’s set in New York and everyone does their best to make this seem like a stateside noir, only naughtier. And while there is a noticeable flaunting of things that would never fly in a Hollywood production (My favorite being when a loose woman invites a man into her bed as an afterthought), the film highlights the problem with adapting pulp literature too literally: there is just too much here. Too many double-crosses, too much toxic cynicism, and waaay too many deaths. Those items may sound like standard issue noir materials, but this adaptation is a good reminder of the genius of Hollywood’s Code. A Hollywood version would have cut the number of deaths by half, given us a likable doomed protagonist, and had some decent contract stars meted out in parts best suited for them— and the film would be all the better for it. This World, Then the Fireworks shows what a faithful pulp fiction adaptation really looks like, and as I said when I first wrote about that film, the world doesn’t need another— especially not one as poorly-acted and unimaginatively staged as this.

jlnight

#3 Post by jlnight » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:41 am

I think that the source novel was later used as the basis of The Grissom Gang.

No Orchids for Miss Blandish was on UK TV once, as part of Halliwell's What The Censor Saw season in 1983 on Channel 4. The guide even describes it as "one of the worst films ever made".

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 am

Full and final specs:

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:46 am

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 am

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Boosmahn

#8 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:43 pm

I might get this more for curiosity than expectations. I assume that if I like more subversive noir like Kiss Me Deadly, I'll get a kick out of this?

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm not remotely blind to this film's many, many faults (I don't think anyone could be), but I thoroughly enjoyed working on this release - which inevitably involved watching it multiple times. In terms of British cinema, it's a complete one-off.

antnield

#10 Post by antnield » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Amusingly, a Spanish reprint of the original James Hadley Chase novel used a still from Kiss Me Deadly as its cover...

reaky

#11 Post by reaky » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:27 pm

I enjoyed this quite a bit. It kicks off like an own-brand noir by someone who’s read about the genre but never seen one, but then takes some winningly weird turns. I was interested to learn that some of the even odder stuff was sanded down from the novel.