115 Take a Girl Like You

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

115 Take a Girl Like You

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:07 am

TAKE A GIRL LIKE YOU
(Jonathan Miller, 1970)
Release date: 18 February 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here

Jonathan Miller’s film of Kingsley Amis’ comic novel (adapted for the screen by George Melly), casts Hayley Mills (Whistle Down the Wind, Twisted Nerve) as a naïve young girl who moves from the North of England to teach in a London school and finds herself fending off the advances of a number of lusty suitors, including Oliver Reed, John Bird and Noel Harrison.

As much a document of its time as a satire on the sexual mores (and confusions) of the period, Miller’s still remarkably fresh debut feature is buoyed by its terrific cast and a typically excellent Stanley Myers score.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Interview with Hayley Mills (2019): the award-winning actor recalls her work on the film in this new and exclusive interview
Now and Then: Hayley Mills (1967): an archival interview with the young actor in conversation with renowned broadcaster Bernard Braden
Now and Then: Jonathan Miller (1967): an archival interview with the author, academic and filmmaker in conversation with Bernard Braden
• Isolated music & effects track
• Theatrical trailers
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Melanie Williams, an overview of contemporary critical responses, archival articles, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD115
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071717

MichaelB

Re: 115 Take a Girl Like You

#2 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 am

Final specs:

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 am

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:54 pm

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm

This was sort of the 1970s version of a cringefest like Modern Romance, with Oliver Reed basically spending the entire film desperately trying to convince Hayley Mills to get with the swinging times and go to bed with him. I was with Hayley (i.e. creeped out) for most of the film, but the ending was delicious and made me rethink what had come before. Slyly subversive, and definitely not the cutesy romance you might expect it to be.

MichaelB

115 Take a Girl Like You

#7 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:30 pm

See also Indicator’s upcoming The System, a film that doesn’t go remotely where you expect it to go on the basis of the opening scenes. Has anyone written a PhD thesis on Oliver Reed as Failed Lothario?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Indicator has definitely been at the forefront of championing some of Reed's most intriguing turns!

Ovader

#9 Post by Ovader » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:30 pm
See also Indicator’s upcoming The System, a film that doesn’t go remotely where you expect it to go on the basis of the opening scenes. Has anyone written a PhD thesis on Oliver Reed as Failed Lothario?
That is your new assignment for THE SYSTEM's booklet ;)

therewillbeblus

#10 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:03 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm
This was sort of the 1970s version of a cringefest like Modern Romance, with Oliver Reed basically spending the entire film desperately trying to convince Hayley Mills to get with the swinging times and go to bed with him. I was with Hayley (i.e. creeped out) for most of the film, but the ending was delicious and made me rethink what had come before. Slyly subversive, and definitely not the cutesy romance you might expect it to be.
I liked this a lot too, and the turn it took made me think of the theories that predict how male's often default to the Madonna-whore complex, in how paradoxically Reed is chasing Hayley for her virginal stamp even if he's professing against such a choice using every philosophy in the book. The irony of one's target being convinced of such a view and the convincer feeling repelled makes me get the Modern Romance analogy, with the masculine confusion leaving an impossibility to be satisfied. The narrative functioned like a road movie but moving around town into random stops of banality and flirtatious games attempting to evoke jealousy and impress, which is pretty humorous to think about since
SpoilerShow
the pointless process of moving in circles that results in a lack of character development or self-discovery, or intimacy between the leads, makes for more of an anti-road movie in both literal form and traditional themes!