News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1176 Post by Drucker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 am

andyli wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm
Drucker wrote:I could be wrong, but it seems a lot of the people that did work on BFI/MOC releases until 2013 or so then focused on Arrow releases and are now focused on Indicator...Quality of people more than quality of the label itself has always been my thinking...
But Indicator doesn't even do non-English release and only deals with a couple of Studios. It cannot cover MoC/BFI/Arrow's ground.
I mean, yes, but if you look at the people behind the best UK home video releases since 2010 there is a ton of overlap. Each label has its own identity which the people behind it kind of 'work within.' I mean James White did extensive work on the BFI Ozus as well as White Of The Eye and Zombie on Arrow.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1177 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:56 am

domino harvey wrote:I think the grim truth is, as shown by the countless boutique labels putting out similar releases, the junk on the Video label outsells the Academy titles so they allocate more resources there
I always assumed this indeed simply was the case. Just looking at how slower Academy LEs are selling out always illustrated a likely lesser interest for the Academy titles, no matter miles better the movies are compared to whatever Z junk the Video releases are based on (and in some ways, many of the Video titles could very well be released by Vinegar Syndrome in the US).

Adam X

#1178 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:50 pm

So what you're all saying is the Arrow sub-forum needs a "Why Won't They Release Only What I Want" thread? There may be many films out there that need a release, but that's true of every area of cinema, regardless of what you might think of them personally. Prior to 2012 (?), the Academy line was very much a minor accompaniment to the main business of the Video line. I agree with Drucker, that the people who helped build it up with releases like the Borowczyk boxset such as Michael Brooke, have moved on, and are doing great things at other labels like Indicator. It seems only natural, at least for the time being, that things have somewhat drifted back to that original balance.

Glowingwabbit

#1179 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:50 pm
So what you're all saying is the Arrow sub-forum needs a "Why Won't They Release Only What I Want" thread?
That isn't what the discussion has been about but rather that they've really slowed down on their releases.

nitin

#1180 Post by nitin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:37 pm

My orirginal point was not that Video had more output than Academy, that has always obviously been the case, but Academy output had decreased and become more generic in recent times compared to Academy output previously.

I was not knocking the Video brand, for which I am still an Indiegogo subscriber.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1181 Post by tenia » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 am

IIRC, Academy output used to be 3 titles per month not that long ago, and the movies or releases used to be more impressive packages. Extras seem to have decreased in quantity while the movies themselves have been less thrilling too (with a few exceptions).

Calvin

#1182 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 am

Fran Simeoni has put out a tweet that I think is of relevance to this discussion, saying that if "everybody could jump on [the Jissoji set] so I can get that third ATG box out that would be awesome".

Glowingwabbit

#1183 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:22 am

Calvin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 am
Fran Simeoni has put out a tweet that I think is of relevance to this discussion, saying that if "everybody could jump on [the Jissoji set] so I can get that third ATG box out that would be awesome".
Sadly I dont expect it to fly off the shelves. I think the Yoshida set took awhile to sell. Hopefully they can still do a third set eventually down the road.

If it's a similarly auteur-based set my best guess would be the works of Shūji Terayama.

Calvin

#1184 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 am

I think you're right, but from what I've seen Terayama has been by far the most requested of the Japanese New Wave so it would be a shame if slow sales of Jissoji - who there has been comparatively minimal vocal demand for - impacted a potential release of his works.

Glowingwabbit

#1185 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am

Calvin wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 am
I think you're right, but from what I've seen Terayama has been by far the most requested of the Japanese New Wave so it would be a shame if slow sales of Jissoji - who there has been comparatively minimal vocal demand for - impacted a potential release of his works.
That's true. And I definitely dont think it would be a Oshima set for that very reason as he is the most well known in the West and it would be silly not to lead with him (although this is the same company who said there is a low interest in Iranian cinema after releasing the little known Poetic Trilogy).

Its probably pointless to speculate anyway since its unlikely a third set will materialize, but I could also see it just being a variety set of ATG films brought together (a la Hammer) which would also be cool.

dda1996a

#1186 Post by dda1996a » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:23 am

It is a real shame because I'm trying to cut down on buying since my keyvip is huge and I'd rather skip this set, but a Terayama would be amazing.

Glowingwabbit

#1187 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am

dda1996a wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:23 am
It is a real shame because I'm trying to cut down on buying since my keyvip is huge and I'd rather skip this set, but a Terayama would be amazing.
While this Jissôji set definitively excites me more, Calvin is probably right that if they had plans for a Terayama set that would have come before.

Calvin

#1188 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:46 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am
dda1996a wrote:
While this Jissôji set definitively excites me more, Calvin is probably right that if they had plans for a Terayama set that would have come before.
Oh, I'm not sure about that. As you say, Arrow have made some odd choices before such as with the Poetic Trilogy and I can't see what would prevent a Terayama set other than the BBFC probably shooting down Emperor Tomato Ketchup. Looking at the list of ATG films, the only other directors who you could build a set with would be Oshima (who would also fall into the 'higher demand' category), Hôjin Hashiura, Kazuo Kuroki, Kihachi Okamoto, or Yoichi Takabayashi. And I think it would be extremely odd if Arrow ignored Terayama in favour of any of them, unless there are rights issues that I'm not aware of.

dda1996a

#1189 Post by dda1996a » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Consider me rather surprised that I have absolutely no knowledge of every name you wrote after Oshima.
Do we even know if Arrow has more well known Iranian films that were blaming them for weird priorities?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1190 Post by Drucker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:26 pm

dda1996a wrote:
I feel you. I'm in the process of moving, have not made a meaningful dent in my watchlist in months (kitchen renovation, house sale, stress, etc.) but in cases like this I feel obligated to support!

Glowingwabbit

#1191 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:13 pm
Consider me rather surprised that I have absolutely no knowledge of every name you wrote after Oshima.
Do we even know if Arrow has more well known Iranian films that were blaming them for weird priorities?
They might not. I was merely going off of the reaponse he had when someone asked about A Moment of Innocence on twitter:
Would be lovely, if only there were greater enthusiasm for Iranian films! Would love to do more Makhmalbaf but more people need to buy The Poetic Trilogy first!
As I've said before it's just a very weird release to make that kind of judgment on.

dwk

#1192 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm

In the Aftermath is getting a US release in September.

dda1996a

#1193 Post by dda1996a » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:53 pm

What if he's just saying this just to get us to buy these sets?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1194 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Then it's still a win-win

dwk

#1195 Post by dwk » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Fran Simeoni tweeted that Elvira will be getting a US release, but Heathers will not.

Cronenfly

#1196 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:47 pm

Guess they’ve at least somewhat patched over their relationship with Lakeshore in the US, good news.

dwk

#1197 Post by dwk » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Yeah. I guess it hasn't been mentioned, but all the OOP Lakeahore titles in the US are coming back into print later this year.

Big Ben

#1198 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 am

Arrow posted a picture of Warren Zevon on their Facebook page pertaining to announcements on the 26th. Warren's best known (Sadly) song is "Werewolves of London" so I'm guessing we're getting An American Werewolf in London.

Mr. Deltoid

#1199 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 am

Big Ben wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 am
Arrow posted a picture of Warren Zevon on their Facebook page. Warren's best known (Sadly) song is "Werewolves of London" so I'm guessing we're getting An American Werewolf in London.
It's gotta be! Unless . . . Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School = Suspiria :lol:

Wes Moynihan

#1200 Post by Wes Moynihan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:49 am

I'd rather have The Color of Money myself !