Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Finch

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2651 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:39 pm

Yeah its a MGM title. I wonder if they will only let Arrow have the titles they previously licensed for Blu ray to upgrade to 4k or if they'll also say yes to titles that would be new to Arrow.

ryannichols7

#2652 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:05 am

if they're doing new to Arrow titles, we seriously need a do-over for The Silence of the Lambs, which would be a perfect job for Arrow. a Dollars Trilogy box with HDR would be top notch too, just some ideas...

Finch

#2653 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:40 am

Body Hunters 76, Night of the Hunter and The Manchurian Candidate and any other MGM license where Kino came up short in one way or another. I think Ronin and To Live And Die In L.A. were the only two that seem to have gotten a thumbs up across the board this year.

AxeYou

#2654 Post by AxeYou » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:41 am

Finch wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:40 am
I think Ronin and To Live And Die In L.A. were the only two that seem to have gotten a thumbs up across the board this year.
I seem to recall some earlier contention on To Live And Die In L.A.'s color grading and compression.

That aside, Kino once again botched the audio: The 2.0 is a downmix of their 5.1, which may in turn be an upmix of the OG 2.0. https://blah-ray.blogspot.com/2023/10/t ... -1985.html

M Sanderson

#2655 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:22 pm

AxeYou wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:41 am
Finch wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:40 am
I think Ronin and To Live And Die In L.A. were the only two that seem to have gotten a thumbs up across the board this year.
I seem to recall some earlier contention on To Live And Die In L.A.'s color grading and compression.

That aside, Kino once again botched the audio: The 2.0 is a downmix of their 5.1, which may in turn be an upmix of the OG 2.0. https://blah-ray.blogspot.com/2023/10/t ... -1985.html
are people questioning the "hot" colours of To Live & Die in LA? As this would be consistent with the Arrow blu ray and also the old NTSC VHS (but different to, for example, UK TV broadcasts or older disc releases).

yoloswegmaster

#2656 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:23 am

Hint for Friday's announcements:

SpoilerShow

Finch

#2657 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:32 pm

Michael MacKenzie had Body Snatchers 1978 logged in his letterboxd account which also happened with titles that subsequently got a 4k release from Arrow. If this comes to pass, it's another reason to bypass TBLITW even at their sale prices.

therewillbeblus

#2658 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:57 pm

But what if TBLITW has TBTOAA?

dwk

#2659 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:33 pm

A couple US releases have leaked:
Fear is the Key
The Shaolin Plot

yoloswegmaster

#2660 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:21 am

Arrow submitted Altman's That Cold Day In The Park to the BBFC, which indicates that it could be one the first Paramount title to be released by them in the U.K. Something interesting to note is that the previous version released by Olive and Eureka was 107 minutes long, while the version that Arrow submitted is 114 minutes.

beamish14

#2661 Post by beamish14 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:46 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:21 am
Arrow submitted Altman's That Cold Day In The Park to the BBFC, which indicates that it could be one the first Paramount title to be released by them in the U.K. Something interesting to note is that the previous version released by Olive and Eureka was 107 minutes long, while the version that Arrow submitted is 114 minutes.

It would be incredible if they reintegrated those deleted scenes I saw at UCLA years ago. If Paramount is game, maybe they can also release Phase IV with its intended ending attached to the film instead of as a supplement, too

dwk

#2662 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:36 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Looking at the company credits on imdb, and it appears that Republic Pictures (and thus Paramount) had the home video rights, but didn't produce the film. So it may be a case of those home video rights reverting to the original production company.

beamish14

#2663 Post by beamish14 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:46 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:36 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Looking at the company credits on imdb, and it appears that Republic Pictures (and thus Paramount) had the home video rights, but didn't produce the film. So it may be a case of those home video rights reverting to the original production company.
Interesting to note that it was produced by Donald Factor, one of the heirs to the Max Factor cosmetics company

dwk

#2664 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:23 pm

It was pointed out at the Blu-ray.com forums that Paramount does not have the UK rights to That Cold Day in the Park, and so Eureka's release wasn't licensed from them.

rapta

#2665 Post by rapta » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:30 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:36 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
dwk wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:23 pm
It was pointed out at the Blu-ray.com forums that Paramount does not have the UK rights to That Cold Day in the Park, and so Eureka's release wasn't licensed from them.
As I pointed out after that comment was made on BR.com, this was licensed via Paramount but like you said above, the rights were actually with the original production company so they were credited and not Paramount. It's listed on the Hollywood Classics site as a Paramount title, if you want confirmation.

That said, whether this is indicative of a larger UK deal (i.e. more than one title) with Paramount remains to be seen. I sure hope they've got somewhere with it as I really wanted to get Black Sunday, The Desperate Hours, Borsalino and Unman, Wittering & Zigo in particular. I have heard that some of them may work with the Panasonic remote control 'trick' but I want definite confirmation of those above titles before I consider importing (and have only heard of one or two of those working that way).

dwk

#2666 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:12 pm

Odd. If it was licensed from Paramount in any fashion, I would assume that their logo would have been on the package and that the licensing language on the back would have read something like "Under exclusive license from Paramount Pictures. Copyright 1969 Factor-Altman-Mirell Films."

JamesF

#2667 Post by JamesF » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:35 am

*coughcough*non-US*coughcough*

Finch

#2668 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:00 pm

Arrow are teasing the next announcements with an image of dark water. Glad they're putting out the 4k in English language territories.

dwk

#2669 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:16 pm

Two releasea have been found
Dark Water UHD
The Shootist Blu-ray

dwk

#2670 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:34 am

City of the Living Dead (UK) UHD is the only other release.

TechnicolorAcid

#2671 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:52 am

Not the most exciting month but here’s hoping the Dark Water issues get fixed, and it’s wonderful that The Shootist is getting a release as I’ve heard many a great thing about it so I’ll be excited to dig in, plus Classic Hollywood Blu-Rays are always welcome. I imagine the City of the Living Dead release will be good but as a Region A man (the disc player not me), I already have plans for the Cauldron release, even if the Arrow limited book is a bit tempting to me.

Finch

#2672 Post by Finch » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:08 am

Arrow's clue for this Friday:

TechnicolorAcid

#2673 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:19 am

Basket Case 4K I presume.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2674 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:52 pm

Yeah right, these are always misdirections. It's probably Joyeuses Paques

Finch

#2675 Post by Finch » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:20 pm

James Flower on Twitter
"Obviously I'm biased but I think this Friday's @ArrowFilmsVideo slate (April titles) is one of our most exciting and eclectic line-ups for a while, including new Blu-rays from three auteurs whose films were previously released by @Academy_Arrow!"
Re clue: I'm thinking Silence of the Lambs 4k. ("it has to put the lotion into the basket")