Audio Issue with Arrow + Indicator (and others?)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Peacock

Audio Issue with Arrow + Indicator (and others?)

#1 Post by Peacock » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:06 pm

I love Arrow. I love Indicator. But I hate that when I go from playing the feature to playing an extra I have to frantically lower the volume every time so I don’t deafen myself and my neighbours…

For a while I thought this was just somehow an issue of 1080i extras vs 1080p films but on the Indicator release I watched last night (13 Ghosts) the introduction was 1080p/24… the editor of that extra was our very own Michael Brooke.

So I have to ask - why don’t Arrow or Indicator apply any kind of normalisation between their extras audio, menus and film? This takes one minute during the production of the disk? Is this a fault of the editors, producers or disk authorers?

Criterion don’t have this issue. I haven’t tested every label out there but certainly with Arrow and Indicator it’s painfully noticeable and is the only disappointment in their otherwise beautifully put together editions!

Come I can’t be the only person who has to ramp up their amp’s dB’s to -5 for the main film then pull down to -25 for the extras, or vice versa after the introduction ends!

Can this be changed going ahead please?

ryannichols7

Re: Audio Issue with Arrow + Indicator (and others?)

#2 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:52 pm

Kino is the same! I'll have my movie set to a comfortable, reasonable volume, it'll finish and then the menu comes in and it'll shake the walls down. I have yet to notice with Arrow and Indicator but I haven't watched anything from either lately I don't think

therewillbeblus

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:37 pm

This is why I love my sound bar - it's so easy to change volume, these problems barely register

Peacock

#4 Post by Peacock » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:24 am

Alas I love surround sound too much to go to a sound bar!

Ryan - good to know re Kino. It’s just so irritating that the change in volume feel so extreme. Perhaps David Mackenzie could chime in as to why some labels normalise audio levels and other premium ones don’t?

ChunkyLover

#5 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:26 am

I've noticed loud/clippy audio on many David M/FiM authored discs. There are exceptions (Signal One's "Man Hunt" and "The Three Faces of Eve" have the same audio levels as the Twilight Time and Fox discs respectively) but they tend to master audio loud for whatever reason.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:53 am

Maybe they’re Guitar Wolf fans