Romanian Films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Romanian Films on DVD

#1 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:38 pm

rohmerin

Re: Romanian Films on DVD

#2 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Not seen but according to that Romanian site it has got English and French, German and Romanian subtitles.
If we go to the left menu filme, then filme româneçti (rumanian), there's a list of all the Romanian movies they sale classified by genre.

Amazing how similiar is Romanian language (when it's written) to mine or Portuguese.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:50 am

rohmerin wrote:
Amazing how similiar is Romanian language (when it's written) to mine .
Is that Rohmerinian?

PillowRock

#4 Post by PillowRock » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:37 pm

I hadn't realized until comparatively recently that Romanian was in the "Romance Language" family. I've read that about 60% of Romanian vocabulary is very similar to the equivalent words in any of French / Spanish / Italian / Portuguese (where any pair of those have close to 80% with each other; even a little higher between Spanish and Portuguese).

Hail_Cesar

#5 Post by Hail_Cesar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Anybody is aware of a DVD release of Morometii? I've seen it in a Romanian film festival a year ago and I really liked it. I'd like to have it on dvd...

Lemmy Caution

#6 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:36 am

PillowRock wrote:I hadn't realized until comparatively recently that Romanian was in the "Romance Language" family. I've read that about 60% of Romanian vocabulary is very similar to the equivalent words in any of French / Spanish / Italian / Portuguese (where any pair of those have close to 80% with each other; even a little higher between Spanish and Portuguese).
I've read that Romanian is the closest modern language to Latin.
One of those old stored facts, so I have no idea what the source was by now.

I recently watched If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle, a 2010 Romanian film put out on Dvd by Film Movement. I mostly liked the characters and buildup, but got a bit bored in the last third when the drama took over.

rohmerin

#7 Post by rohmerin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:07 pm

I was advised of this lost masterpiece that I'm downloading now: FOREST OF THE HANGED (Padurea Spânzuratilor, Romania, 1965) by Liviu Ciulei

L.A.

#8 Post by L.A. » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Vlad Tepes (Doru Năstase, 1979)

It seems that a DVD with English subtitles is now available.

Perkins Cobb

#9 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:34 am

No DVDs, alas, but since we're discussing the late Liviu Ciulei, Lincoln Center will be showing Forest of the Hanged again, plus Ciulei's first two films (which sound essential) in this year's Romanian Film Festival.

Lemmy Caution

#10 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Has anyone seen Tuesday, After Christmas (2010), the latest from Radu Muntean (The Paper Will be Blue; Boogie aka Summer Holiday)?
A Dvd is out now, and I'll pick it up if it has English subs.

knives

#11 Post by knives » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:58 pm

I've heard some stellar things about it without actually seeing it. I know it's been released theatrically in the US and a DVD should be coming soon if the one you're looking at doesn't have subs.

Perkins Cobb

#12 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Yeah, it's very good.

Bikey

#13 Post by Bikey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:04 am

Second Run DVD in the UK will be releasing this in 2012...

Duncan Hopper

#14 Post by Duncan Hopper » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 am

That's good news, I missed it last night at the Romanian film festival.

Are there any other screenings planned?

Jazzkammer

#15 Post by Jazzkammer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:I recently watched If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle, a 2010 Romanian film put out on Dvd by Film Movement. I mostly liked the characters and buildup, but got a bit bored in the last third when the drama took over.
I have also seen If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle , thanks to its Film Movement release. The execution of this film was well done, and it is largely enjoyable. Much like other Romanian New Wave, it is heavily indebted to the Dardenne brothers style of cinema, which I am certainly a fan of. Yet,, the film is decidedly forgettable - prison dramas are an overdone genre, and this one doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Perhaps it is because I have recently seen the superb Police, Adjective, and have been very impressed in the past by other Romanian New Wave films, but this one doesn't seem to stand up with the best of this country's recent offerings.

L.A.

#16 Post by L.A. » Sat May 11, 2013 7:28 am

S-a furat o bombă / A Bomb Was Stolen (Ion Popescu-Gopo, 1961), I understand there's a Spanish DVD available. Does anyone know is it possibly still in print?

Also found some discussion about Romanian fantasy and science-fiction films, especially De-aș fi... Harap Alb / The White Moor (Ion Popescu-Gopo, 1965) and Tinerețe fără bătrânețe / Kingdom in the Clouds (Elisabeta Bostan; Nicolae Codrescu, 1969) sound fascinating.

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

The Transilvania Film Festival has just launched a box set of Lucian Pintilie's entire output - and English subtitles are mentioned, although whether this is just for the films or the "over 200 minutes of extras" as well I'm not sure.

I'll definitely be getting this, as soon as I've worked out how.

tavernier

#18 Post by tavernier » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:47 am

That's great news....I have the MK2 Pintilies, but only 4 of the 7 films have English subtitles (if memory serves), so this would be welcome indeed.

twicebilled

#19 Post by twicebilled » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:59 am

MichaelB wrote:The Transilvania Film Festival has just launched a box set of Lucian Pintilie's entire output - and English subtitles are mentioned, although whether this is just for the films or the "over 200 minutes of extras" as well I'm not sure.

When you figure this out, please let us know. This set sounds exciting and I've passed on the MK2.

zedz

#20 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:00 am

MichaelB wrote:The Transilvania Film Festival has just launched a box set of Lucian Pintilie's entire output - and English subtitles are mentioned, although whether this is just for the films or the "over 200 minutes of extras" as well I'm not sure.

The shop seems easy enough to navigate, we just have to wait for them to put up the Pintilie set (I'll be right behind you in the queue for ordering). In the meantime, does anybody have any info about their existing box set of recent Romanian films (subs and such)?

MichaelB

#21 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:13 am

zedz wrote:In the meantime, does anybody have any info about their existing box set of recent Romanian films (subs and such)?
Well, the cover's bilingual, which bodes well, but I haven't found definite confirmation of much aside from a list of titles:

Morgen (d. Marian Crisan, 2010)
Love Sick (Legaturi Bolnavicioasa, d. Tudor Giurgiu, 2006)
The Happiest Girl in the World (Cea mai fericita fata din lume, d. Radu Jude, 2009)
The Way I Spent the End of the World (Cum mi-am petrecut sfarsitul lumii, d. Catalin Mitulescu, 2006)
Furia (d. Radu Muntean, 2002)
California Dreamin (d. Cristian Nemescu, 2007)
Francesca (d. Bobby Paunescu, 2009)
1208 East of Bucharest (A fost sau n-a fost?, d. Corneliu Porumboiu, 2007)
First of All, Felicia (Felicia, inainte de toate, d. Razvan Radulescu, Melissa de Raff, 2009)
Hooked (Pescuit Sportiv - dir. Adrian Sitaru, 2008
If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle (Eu cand vreau sa fluier, fluier, dir. Florin Serban, 2010)

The only problem from my perspective is that I already have nearly half of these, so at the current exchange rate the rest come to roughly a tenner apiece!

L.A.

#22 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 am

Since the TIFF Shop isn't progressing, ordered the Colectia Pintilie Cineast from Carturesti. 106€ delivered to Finland.

L.A.

#23 Post by L.A. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:38 am

Colectia Caragiale

Looks impressive. According to the site, the films have English and French subtitles. Here's the set with a different cover art.

zedz

#24 Post by zedz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:57 pm

L.A. wrote:Since the TIFF Shop isn't progressing, ordered the Colectia Pintilie Cineast from Carturesti. 106€ delivered to Finland.
Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what was up with TIFF. About a day after the Pintilie set was announced, the shop site went down and never came back.

L.A.

#25 Post by L.A. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 pm

L.A. wrote:Since the TIFF Shop isn't progressing, ordered the Colectia Pintilie Cineast from Carturesti. 106€ delivered to Finland.
Received the collection today from Carturesti, neatly packed in a sturdy cardboard box. Shipped via registered mail and got a tracking number.

A book-style digipack, the eleven feature films have brief introductions and other details in both Romanian and English, the same on the 12th disc (bonus material) as well.

All the feature films and the over 200 minutes worth of bonus have English subtitles! :D

Carturesti's customer service also deserves a big thanks from me. They replied back fast when I had questions, usually got a response in less than 10 minutes. Very pleased, will definitely order from there again.