Dream Demon

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Dream Demon

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:36 am

A young bride-to-be’s anxieties over her upcoming wedding take on a horrifying, demonic form in this underseen 1988 “rubber reality” shocker from director/co-writer Harley Cokeliss (Black Moon Rising), starring Timothy Spall and Jemma Redgrave.

As her marriage to decorated war hero Oliver draws near, well-heeled Diana moves into her sprawling new London home where she starts to experience strange and terrifying nightmares. But are these blood-curdling night terrors merely the symptom of an unsettled mind, or the sign of something far sinister at work? Hounded by a pair of sleazy journalists (Timothy Spall and Jimmy Nail), Diana soon crosses paths with American tourist Jenny, who appears to have a strange connection to the foreboding house and its sinister past.

Long dormant on home media since its original VHS release, Dream Demon - a terrific blend of psychological horror and late 80s practical gore effects - has at long-last been stirred from its analogue slumber and arrives on Blu-ray, newly-restored from the original camera negative and in a brand new Director’s Cut!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative, supervised and approved by director Harley Cokeliss
  • Director’s Cut and Original Theatrical Version
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed stereo audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new scene-select audio commentary with director Harley Cokeliss and producer Paul Webster
  • Newly-filmed interview with director Harley Cokeliss
  • Newly-filmed interview with producer Paul Webster
  • Newly-filmed interview with actress Jemma Redgrave
  • Newly-filmed interview with actor Mark Greenstreet
  • Newly-filmed interview with actor Nickolas Grace
  • Newly-filmed interview with actress Annabelle Lanyon
  • Newly-filmed interview with composer Bill Nelson
  • Foundations of Nightmare: The Making of Dream Demon - contemporary documentary taking a look behind the scenes of the production of Dream Demon, featuring on-set interviews with director Harley Cokeliss, producer Paul Webster, actors Timothy Spall, Jemma Redgrave, Kathleen Wilhoite, composer Bill Nelson and many more
  • Image Galleries
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Christopher Shy
FIRST PRESSING ONLY! - Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anne Bilson, author of the Dream Demon novelisation, and director Harley Cokeliss - Reversible poster featuring exclusive newly-commissioned artwork by Christopher Shy

colinr0380

Re: Dream Demon

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:36 pm

I only have hazy memories of seeing this on an old Channel 4 screening in the early 90s in a season of films that included Paperhouse and Blood On Satan's Claw, but it was a wild experience and really felt as if it fit into that wild company! I'm wracking my brains but I think there was something about a crack in the basement that might be a portal to hell or something? (I saw this long before any Lucio Fulci, but I remember thinking about this image when I saw The Beyond for the first time) Or was it all in the mind of the heroine? Either way Timothy Spall doesn't fare very well!

Mr Sloane

#3 Post by Mr Sloane » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Very happy to see this being released. From what I remember this had been stuck in rights hell since the collapse of Palace who released it back in the '80s. This was a childhood favourite of mine. We had a bootleg VHS of it back in the day and I would give it a spin regularly - not least because I had a massive crush on Kathleen Wilhoite!

Due to it's unavailability I haven't seen it in many, many years, but from what I recall it riffs quite heavily on A Nightmare on Elm Street rather than Fulci (although I may be misremembering!), with unpleasant things happening to unpleasant people whenever our sloaney heroine falls asleep.

Edit

I actually had no idea that Anne Billson wrote a novelisation for the film. I have a copy of her 1993 novel Suckers which I read a as teen and enjoyed immensely!

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:18 pm

I just realised that Harley Cokeliss is also the director of the other screen version of J.G. Ballard's Crash, the 1971 BBC version of Crash! that came out between 1970's The Atrocity Exhibition (which sketched out the idea) and the final 1973 novel. (He also directed one of the best of the Children's Film Foundation films with Gitterball)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:15 pm

Seems like a real missed opportunity to not call this Dreamon

M Sanderson

#6 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:01 am

Is the director’s cut going to make this any better?