Suggestions and General Discussion

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Anime

#1676 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:18 pm

Longest I've watched is Chihayafuru (also 74 eps) -- but that was spread out over several seasons over several years. Not sure I could cope with watching 74 episodes in a relatively short period of time. ;-)

therewillbeblus

#1677 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:37 pm

Yeah that’s why I switched my proposal to Evangelion, though there are far more inclusive reasons that’ll aid participation there

If we did Monster, the first leg (I forget what ep it ends on, but right around 25ish- I can go through and find out if people want to do it) would be good, since it has a pretty definitive endpoint, and if anyone gets there and decides they don’t want to continue, well, I’d be surprised!

Back when Guillermo del Toro was set to adapt the manga into a live action series for HBO, I tried to map how he’d rush through a first season to get to that moment for a finale, since it would be strange coming any later but would rush too many key periods of development to get to within ten hours. I always secretly believed that’s why the series failed to gain traction - struggling with that impossible situation - though I’m likely wrong

Unfortunately I think the series peaks here (the first third is overall its strongest section) but it’s possible I was so blown away by it on a first watch that I was disappointed when the next sections didn’t escalate things further. The narrative trajectory the first section takes on essentially makes it a western noir that actually works, so any expectations I had of besting that were surely unrealistic

Mr Sausage

#1678 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:19 pm

A couple other animes that might work for a Film Club:

-Flip Flappers

-The Heike Story

What do you think of these?

knives

#1679 Post by knives » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:20 pm

Welcome to the NHK as well.

Mr Sausage

#1680 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:25 pm

That one sounds really interesting. Anyone got any others? I can select five, put it to a vote, and we can do another watchalong thingy if people are down. I had a ton of fun with the last one.

therewillbeblus

#1681 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:29 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:19 pm
A couple other animes that might work for a Film Club:

-Flip Flappers

-The Heike Story

What do you think of these?
I liked Flip Flappers, and think it could be really interesting to hear others' impressions of, plus it's short. Haven't seen the other. FLCL comes to mind as another short fun one.

knives

#1682 Post by knives » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:43 pm

Kaiba by Masaaki Yuasa is another great choice.

Mr Sausage

#1683 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:46 pm

Keep 'em coming. I'll give a list to swo to get five random choices from.

beamish14

#1684 Post by beamish14 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:59 pm

Dennou Coil (perennially underrated)

Boogiepop Phantom (which I think fans of Lain will really enjoy)

Kids on the Slope

Samurai Champloo

therewillbeblus

#1685 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:02 pm

Although it's not necessarily a hurdle for me, should we be considering accessibility before whittling down what goes into the randomizer to increase the likelihood of participation? I'm trying to refrain from recommending anything that isn't cheap and available

Mr Sausage

#1686 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:08 pm

Yeah, availability is key. The goal here is really participation as much as anything.

therewillbeblus

Re: Re: Anime

#1687 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:21 pm

Alright, I'm going to consolidate my recs/seconding-ideas based on accessibility and digestibility:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Flip Flappers

+Paranoia Agent

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1688 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:10 pm

I just got the BluRay of Heike Monogatari, but never mind that...

Yuasa has some amazing work. Kaiba is VERY retro stylistically and very surrealist/absurdist in terms of content. But I must say I like Ping Pong and Tatami Galaxy even more. In terms of visual distinctiveness, I think Ping Pong has the edge. His latest, Inu-oh, has also just come out on BluRay -- and it is pretty wild.

vsski

#1689 Post by vsski » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:57 am

I have been watching more and more anime since Lain and would second Heike Monogatari and also found Pat Labor more interesting than expected (at least the OVA episodes).
But I’d be down to any of the other suggestions here except Netflix only series, as I can’t access this at the moment.

Murdoch

#1690 Post by Murdoch » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:18 pm

I would love to see this forum's insights into the Monogatari series, so Bakemonogatari is my recommendation. It's short but visually dense. The creativity in the opening credits is reason enough to watch, with each character's arc having a different intro.

Boosmahn

#1691 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:58 pm

I'll second Monogatari, which is one of my favorite series (anime and not). I love all of the arcs in Bakemonogatari, but I would argue the final episode (15) is television perfection.

I feel obligated to link this helpful guide, which gives the correct order and streaming availability. Funimation is the way to go for Bakemonogatari, and maybe further -- Crunchyroll uses the scuffed TV version of Nisemonogatari, but I'm not sure about Funimation.

Mr Sausage

#1692 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:17 am

Hey everyone. I had originally planned to have a vote up today and a discussion thread by Monday, but that’ll have to be pushed back. I’ve been without power since Wednesday, and have no reason to expect any in the next few days. Hopefully I can get this going next week.

therewillbeblus

#1693 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:44 am

No rush, take your time, and good luck!

Mr Sausage

#1694 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:53 pm

We have power again! I'll see if I can get a vote up sometime today or tomorrow. Thanks everyone for their recommendations.

Mr Sausage

Anime Series Watchalong Vote

#1695 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:13 pm

Out of 16 suggestions, here are five randomly selected animes for you to vote on.

For the people whose suggestions were chosen, you might want to give a brief writeup on your choice to help guide us less knowledgeable members.

therewillbeblus

Re: Anime Series Watchalong Vote

#1696 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:28 pm

I've only seen (and own) Samurai Champloo, which was fun but I don't think I'd have much to say about it. I'll be interested to know the various available means to see the other four, as that'll likely drive my vote.

Mr Sausage

#1697 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:57 pm

If someone could post availability for each of the five, that’d be much appreciated.

therewillbeblus

#1698 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:14 pm

I know Samurai Champloo is available on blu-ray from Funimation, pretty significantly discounted, as well as on Hulu and Funimation's streaming service, the latter of which I think is free with ads?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1699 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:53 pm

Funimation is on its last legs as a streaming sevice. A lot of its content has migrated to Crunchyroll -- but there are weird omissions (like bonus episodes in series that have otherwise moved already) and some seasons have not migrated at all. One wonders if licensing for some material doesn't allow the transfer (even though Funimation technically acquired Crunchyroll -- but is giving up its identity and most of its staff). Strange situation.

Ping Pong, however, is available on both Funimation and Crunchyroll -- as well as on BluRay. Kaiba is also on Crunchyroll and BluRay. Dennoh Coil is on Netflix, I believe (in SD) and on BluRay (but I wonder if it is just an uprezzed and oversharpened version -- as are many anime from that period).

feihong

#1700 Post by feihong » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:27 am

I voted Bakemonogatari, because I haven't seen it and the visuals look interesting. Ping Pong offered me nothing, I was less than impressed with Den-noh Coil, and, like therewillbeblues, I have nothing much to say about Samurai Champloo.

Looks like Crunchyroll has Bakemonogatari and Samurai Champloo, also.

Edit: On second thought, I'm changing my vote to Samurai Champloo. Watching the first episode of Bakemonogatari, I recalled I had seen the show, and quit before the first episode was over. Gonna vote Champloo. I just want to watch a show that's at least sometimes a little bit funny.