Rough House Pictures (Jody Hill, Danny McBride, et al.)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: TV of 2016

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:56 am

ianungstad wrote:I just watched the first couple episodes of Vice Principals. Awful show. Walter Goggins deserves much better.
I can't really imagine that there's anything on this forum I disagree with more than this. I think Vice Principals might be my favorite thing on TV right now - well, certainly right now, but in the last several years. Jody Hill and Danny McBride imbue the series with an almost Herzog-ian "ecstatic truth," showing us situations and characters that are heightened to the point of unmistakable satire, but are somehow made even more achingly real in the process. As was the case to a certain extent with Eastbound and Down (though I would say this is the more consistently great piece of work, where that had its ups and downs), the pair are unafraid to portray the ugliest side of human nature, and pull out the strangest facets of their characters to lay them bare for the sake of the viewer. It is not always easy to watch this show - LQ had her eyes covered yesterday during a particularly well staged bit of cringe dialogue - but what it has to say about the state of mean-spirited "Trump's America" is really quite a feat. Sure, you could take it all at face value, but it isn't difficult to see the spirit of McBride and Goggins' two lead characters in the comments of news articles or behind a particularly baffling Twitter account. The "good" characters don't get off entirely scot-free either, as the actors (particularly Kimberly Hebert Gregory) portraying them manage to find their warts with exacting precision. I can't recommend this damn show enough. I'm obsessed with it.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Vice Principals

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Without even trying to this show has become, for me at least, a perfect allegory for our current political climate. I've not seen one episode of Eastbound and Down but I knew I'd be on this right away when it was first announced. Because of Goggins, but more because I'm a fan of high school satire.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#28 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 pm

And thankfully, that's just an undercurrent - but it's such a rarity to see a red state realistically (even if it's exaggerated realism) portrayed on screen without the creator either finger-wagging or apologizing for the characters therein. That this sort of concentrated ugliness manages to also be uproariously funny (really, McBride and Goggins might be the most effortlessly funny people alive, and they're both on this show) is a heck of a feat.

Feiereisel

#29 Post by Feiereisel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:08 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:And thankfully, that's just an undercurrent - but it's such a rarity to see a red state realistically (even if it's exaggerated realism) portrayed on screen without the creator either finger-wagging or apologizing for the characters therein. That this sort of concentrated ugliness manages to also be uproariously funny (really, McBride and Goggins might be the most effortlessly funny people alive, and they're both on this show) is a heck of a feat.
I also agree that the political connections are a happy coincidence--especially given that Veep airs on the same network. Like the other Hill/McBride stories, this concerns a more general grunt-n-grab approach to power and masculinity that, though also absolutely applicable to contemporary politics, deserves a more nuanced reading.

A few of my friends can't stand this show, and it's been fascinating to talk about why they find it so unappealing. Listening to them articulate their thoughts regarding the aptly-termed "concentrated ugliness" and relate them to their thoughts about comedy in a broader sense makes for really interesting conversation. The comedy (and the sadness and anxiety it's laced with) works for me, but I also like that it's striking some particular nerves.

flyonthewall2983

#30 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 pm

The end of last night's episode was legitimately moving. Seeing the cracks in Gamby's armor is kind of beautiful.

Luke M

#31 Post by Luke M » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:21 pm

I finally caught up on this and it's easily the funniest show on tv. I love the chemistry between McBride and Coggins, they act like they've been doing this for years. Just everything Coggins says is funny; and McBride is better here, his character is deeper than anything else he's played.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#32 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:49 pm

Just so you know whilst moving through this life: It's Goggins.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#33 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Coggins is better

Luke M

#34 Post by Luke M » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:57 am

Whoops.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#35 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:30 am

The way the first season ended tonight was pretty astonishing and one gets the impression that Hill and McBride relish the placement of the cut to the credits each and every time out, but especially this time. I'm always foolish to think that this show couldn't possibly get more dark, it always manages to outdo itself.
SpoilerShow
Does anyone NOT think that Russell is behind the shooting?

flyonthewall2983

#36 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:01 am

SpoilerShow
Russell passing the blame onto Gamby about their misdeeds in that congratulatory way at the flagpole certainly lends itself to that. Hopefully the show keeps who it was in the dark, turning the 2nd season into a whodunit will up the ante considerably.

flyonthewall2983

#37 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Andre Jurieu

#38 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:44 pm

This show certainly exceeded my expectations and seemed to be an increasingly rare instance of a show improving as the season passed. The main cast all deserve praise for their performances, with McBride really surprising me with a slight variation of his usual shtick, but my favorite performance was actually Shea Whigham's amazingly reserved and calm work as Ray.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#39 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:09 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:The way the first season ended tonight was pretty astonishing and one gets the impression that Hill and McBride relish the placement of the cut to the credits each and every time out, but especially this time. I'm always foolish to think that this show couldn't possibly get more dark, it always manages to outdo itself.
SpoilerShow
Does anyone NOT think that Russell is behind the shooting?
SpoilerShow
The obvious candidates are Russell or someone connected to Belinda, but what about Shea Wigham's Ray, who earlier that same episode expressed jealousy at Neil's relationship with his daughter, and may have seen Niel's gift of the motocross bike as an intrusion into the "little slice" of her he had to himself? It's a stretch, and the second season would have to lay some groundwork to justify it, but Ray's general demeanor throughout the series and Neil's late overtures to him would serve as a hell of a misdirect.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#40 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:28 am

SpoilerShow
I think Ray was genuinely touched by the gesture: Gamby didn't get that bike for his daughter out of some kind of oneupsmanship, but as a way of showing Ray that he heard him when he was talking about wanting to establish a stronger relationship with her.

Luke M

#41 Post by Luke M » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 pm

I loved the final episode. The train tracks scene had the weight of the entire season on it and they pulled it off masterfully. The ending came out of nowhere and worked.
SpoilerShow
As for possible guesses, Russell seems obvious. But my 2nd choice is Ms. Abbott.

flyonthewall2983

#42 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:00 pm

flyonthewall2983

#44 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:30 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm

If I have to hear about shooting someone in the dick one more time while waiting for Game of Thrones to start...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#46 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Nuclear take: Vice Principals is a better show than Game of Thrones

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#47 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:02 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#48 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:02 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Nuclear take: Vice Principals is a better show than Game of Thrones
There are some fine people on both shows.

Forrest Taft

#49 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm

I had to watch that trailer twice to see if I missed someone saying something about shooting someone in the dick the first time...but nope, still didn't catch it. So: either I'm slow, or the viewing of this trailer is safe to watch for everyone afraid to hear about shooting someone in the dick.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#50 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:05 pm

It's from the ad that has been running for the past month on HBO, didn't bother to watch the new trailer