The Sopranos

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Andre Jurieu

#51 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:19 pm

benm wrote:these guys don't work in the morning.
Yeah, but they could have made an appearance at, like, 5pm, or something.

Michael

#52 Post by Michael » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:24 pm

I was actually wondering why the hell these guys would pick up their payment so late at night, during business hours.

To make it look less suspicious?

flyonthewall2983

#53 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:18 pm

The Invunche wrote:No comments on Vito in leather?
I've seen worse.

ben d banana

#54 Post by ben d banana » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:22 pm

I didn't get why Vito was hanging where there was a possibility he'd be spotted, or does the family have their hand in all the gay clubs in NJ? I thought he was going after those guys in the first place too. Why go out in shame, and then have everyone talk, as he knows they would?

I figured Tony just wanted the hardest guy in the room, and that he was the youngest didn't hurt either. There was the separation, as Andre pointed out, but who was going to be impressed by him beating up Bobby, even if he isn't as much of a tub of lard as he has been?

Andre, to keep up with our NPH trainspotting, how about Max Casella, Doogie's best pal Vinnie, on the scene as Benny? I don't think I even noticed him before this year.

As for Six Feet Under, Alan Ball is a hack. The gf and I cringed in terror everytime his name appeared on the writer or director credits. The pilot episode was one of the more agonizing television experiences of my life (up there with my singular viewing of Home Improvement), which was expected after American Beauty. The closing scene of the finale was as gruelling in context as out. However, I have to disagree with Andre about the quality over the series' duration, having found myself constantly tortured by ludicrous scenes and Brenda's overly emphasized cursing jerking me out of my temporary enjoyment throughout the first two seasons. The third and fourth had us thoroughly absorbed, thanks to the lack of all the overcooked dramatics, although we did cram them into an under two week period to prepare for season five, which was a real letdown. I'm pretty much with Michael on Nate though.

obloquy

#55 Post by obloquy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:34 am

ben d banana wrote: As for Six Feet Under, Alan Ball is a hack. The gf and I cringed in terror everytime his name appeared on the writer or director credits. The pilot episode was one of the more agonizing television experiences of my life (up there with my singular viewing of Home Improvement), which was expected after American Beauty. The closing scene of the finale was as gruelling in context as out. However, I have to disagree with Andre about the quality over the series' duration, having found myself constantly tortured by ludicrous scenes and Brenda's overly emphasized cursing jerking me out of my temporary enjoyment throughout the first two seasons. The third and fourth had us thoroughly absorbed, thanks to the lack of all the overcooked dramatics, although we did cram them into an under two week period to prepare for season five, which was a real letdown. I'm pretty much with Michael on Nate though.
My wife and I really enjoyed the series for the first couple of seasons--can't remember exactly how many. Andre echoed my feelings about the series exactly. For most of the show I liked Rico, always loved Ruth, Claire, and David, and missed Nikolai in every episode he wasn't in. I can't say that I cared even a little bit for Nate, Brenda, Billy, or their parents. Their storylines were always just frustrating to me.

ben d banana

#56 Post by ben d banana » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:16 am

I agree with you on those characters, except for Nate. I've also had this cougar crush on Joanna Cassidy since I was a teen (she's no Anne Archer though), but that's another off-topic discussion. I don't think characters/storylines being frustrating has any relevance to whether they're good or not, just like overemphasizing the importance of sympathetic characters (not that you're doing so), however I found the over the top "edgy" writing and delivery endlessly distracting during the first two seasons. Did Brenda have to say "FUCK!" every, preferably inappropriate, moment she opened her mouth? I don't find the language on The Sopranos to be nearly as arbitrarily coarse. These aspects seemed to be greatly diminished as the show went on. The gf wasn't as disappointed in the final season as I was, although her and her friends weren't Nate people, but we were both gagging on the final scene.

I would hardly rank Six Feet Under as the best TV series since Twin Peaks, but the latter did have that mind boggingly worthless James and the older married lady storyline that I fast forwarded through last time it was aired here 10 years ago. All of the death and illness on Six Feet Under and not one scene as great as Tony hammering on the wall in his comatose dream trying to get Paulie to shut up (as he heads back on-topic).

Michael

#57 Post by Michael » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:02 pm

All of the death and illness on Six Feet Under and not one scene as great as Tony hammering on the wall in his comatose dream trying to get Paulie to shut up (as he heads back on-topic).

Yeah! You're so right, ben. I guess it was easy for me to say that about Six Feet Under because it's all done. The Sopranos is sprinkled with classic moments - too many to name. The first season's whole arc of mom's attempt to get Tony killed is so much greater than all the five seasons of Six Feet Under put together.

Michael

#58 Post by Michael » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:24 am

I didn't get why Vito was hanging where there was a possibility he'd be spotted, or does the family have their hand in all the gay clubs in NJ? I thought he was going after those guys in the first place too. Why go out in shame, and then have everyone talk, as he knows they would?

We'll have to wait till the next episode or two to see where Vito's going. But I have to say that even though at first it looks comical when Vito waddles his ass off at the leather bar, it makes perfectly sense to me that he's into the leather scene.

On 'Sopranos,' a wiseguy gets the queer eye

By Gary Strauss, USA TODAYFri Apr 14, 8:04 AM ET

Is it curtains for Vito, the gay Soprano?

With the theatrical success of Brokeback Mountain, gay themes may be in vogue, "but anything can happen," says Joseph Gannascoli, who plays Vito Spatafore, the not-so-closeted Mob captain on HBO's The Sopranos (Sunday, 9 ET/PT).

When seen last week, Spatafore - nicknamed "Brokeback Goombah" by fellow Sopranos star Steven Schirripa - had left his wife and kids and checked into a hotel, where he pondered suicide after being spotted by wiseguys at a gay bar.

"Vito has a lot of things going on through his mind. Should he end it all? Should he protect himself? You'll have to see how things unfold," Gannascoli says.

Though the Brooklyn native is keeping mum, he relishes his breakout role in one of this season's most intriguing subplots. Gannascoli, 47, suggested the idea to series creator David Chase. It was introduced last season, when Vito performed a sex act on a security guard.

"As an actor, you want to do something challenging. And I wanted something that would break me out of the pack," says Gannascoli, an ex-restaurateur who was bitten by the acting bug 20 years ago. "I'm grateful David gave me more to do."

While conflicted over his sexuality, Vito is clear about climbing the Mob's corporate ladder. Now that he has been outed, the future is less certain. "Vito's a top earner, so he's valuable to Tony Soprano. But we'll see if Tony's got his back or he's got problems with him being gay," Gannascoli says.

Cast members and fans have ribbed Gannascoli but also respect him. "Playing gay is very courageous. Most guys wouldn't do it," Schirripa says. Gay rights activists applaud the role. "The mere existence of the character creates an interesting, complex story," says Neil Giuliano, head of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). "We hope the show delves more into his life and the reaction of Tony's crew."

Whatever befalls Vito, The Sopranos has been life-changing for Gannascoli, who got married and bought his first home on Long Island last year. His co-written novel, A Meal to Die For, arrived in January. The self-taught chef also launched a food line and is developing Foodfellas, a TV pilot, with ex-Sopranos star Vincent Pastore.

The butt of fat jokes on The Sopranos, Gannascoli remains larger than life - but there's far less of him these days. Stomach surgery helped him shed 160 of his 400 pounds during the show's long hiatus. He hopes to drop 75 more after recuperating from recent double-hip-replacement surgery.

ben d banana

#59 Post by ben d banana » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:33 pm

Considering how worried Junior was about anyone hearing about him performing oral on his girlfriend, the reaction to Johnny Sack's wedding party breakdown, and the way everyone is a vulture waiting for a shot at more money, I don't sense a lot of goodwill towards Vito in the future. Vito's earlier comment about why Eugene might have killed himself added to my worry when he sat himself down in the motel. I do hope he sticks around, every scene with him and Finn is the equivalent of Junior and the garbage disposal in season one (or was it two?).

flyonthewall2983

#60 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Logic tells me he'll be whacked, but stranger things have happened on episodic television.

HerrSchreck

#61 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:15 am

Same with the way the reasons for being whacked can come about. Example: Big Pussy. Guy I know who's done flicks w Vinny Pastore and was privvy to the Sopranos backstory explained why BP was written off the show. During the relevant season Vin P. was hitting the peak of his visibility (Pepsi commercial on superbowl, a-film hitman parts, etc)... One evening during a very long day of shooting (half of an actor's work on set is Sitting Around Waiting, waiting... playing cards... waiting), the whole cast hanging around equally suffering putting in the same amount of time, i e Gandolfini et al; Vinny hits the end of his rope and announces "Okay can we please hurry up?-- I have a Wiz commercial I hafta get to!" Long, blank, silence. A few faces quietly flick their eyes from face to face.

Cast modifications quickly followed.

flyonthewall2983

#62 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:34 pm

Was surfing around on YouTube and found this clip. Thought ya'll might like it :)
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Invunche

#63 Post by The Invunche » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:27 pm

That was great. Will Sasso's got Tony's voice down.

AZAI

#64 Post by AZAI » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:15 pm

that was lame....since when is cutting away for canned laughter supposed to be funny?

The Invunche

#65 Post by The Invunche » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:16 am

I think you missed the point.

ben d banana

#66 Post by ben d banana » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:09 am

I wrote:I didn't get why Vito was hanging where there was a possibility he'd be spotted, or does the family have their hand in all the gay clubs in NJ?
Question answered, and I love Vito antiquing.

AZAI

#67 Post by AZAI » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:04 am

The Invunche wrote:I think you missed the point.
As I did not see any, propably.... anyway was a kindof useless comment on my part, sorry bout that....

Michael

#68 Post by Michael » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:35 am

Another great episode. This week they touched on so many current and topical issues as well as the main theme of Vito and how these mobsters feel about gay issues ....Good Lord, that was scary because I suspect their attitudes are probably not that different from other groups of ignorant and macho men outside the mob. But Sopranos also moved further out to explore the attitudes of the women - especially the wives who are just as bad. Carmella expressed that she voted for Bush.. so go figure. I also liked that Meadow and Finn being the younger generation seemed aloof about gay issues.

Last nights episode seemed to end on a positive note for Vito....somewhat. He went antiquing. In other words, he chose to live. But choosing to live and being able are two different issues. Living incognito and in fear, unable to see his kids, doesn't sound much fun to me. All I have to say that I'm glad to see that Vito didn't kill himself - the same old way out for many gay characters in past films. I wonder if Vito's sequence will continue or stop here. I would like to see him going down on that diner cook.

The Invunche

#69 Post by The Invunche » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:57 am

Man, I was laughing all through Tony's session with Doctor Melfi. I like Jennifer Beals as a lesbian too. And once again Meadow shows how completely blind she is to how her dad and "uncles" make their money.

Oh and I enjoyed hearing about "the Danish cartoons" without the usual crap about "evil, racist Denmark", but that's just me.

Michael

#70 Post by Michael » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:03 am

Vito makes pasta sauces now!

http://www.joesoup.com

flyonthewall2983

#71 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:13 am

The Invunche wrote:Man, I was laughing all through Tony's session with Doctor Melfi. I like Jennifer Beals as a lesbian too.

I'm so glad it addressed the double standard of being repulsed by one form of homosexuality and being turned on by another form. There was a little snippet in Rolling Stone a few years ago with a then-recent quote by 50 Cent and another one a decade earlier by Axl Rose, saying similar sentiments.

Andre Jurieu

#72 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:17 am

I'm still amazed that Gandolfini could keep a straight face when he told his guys that he liked Vito because "he's a real come-from-behind kinda guy" at the very end of the episode. I love double-entendres as much as the next person, but yeeeeesh.
ben d banana wrote:Andre, to keep up with our NPH trainspotting, how about Max Casella, Doogie's best pal Vinnie, on the scene as Benny? I don't think I even noticed him before this year.
It's just so awful that I keep expecting him to address Paulie or Silvio as "Doooog". It was a bit unsettling seeing him and his crew confront Vito in the last episode.
ben d banana wrote:As for Six Feet Under ... I have to disagree with Andre about the quality over the series' duration, having found myself constantly tortured by ludicrous scenes and Brenda's overly emphasized cursing jerking me out of my temporary enjoyment throughout the first two seasons. The third and fourth had us thoroughly absorbed, thanks to the lack of all the overcooked dramatics, although we did cram them into an under two week period to prepare for season five, which was a real letdown. I'm pretty much with Michael on Nate though.
I really don't feel qualified to discuss the quality of the show over its entire duration considering I didn't actually watch every episode. I can't really discuss seasons 3 and 4 very much since I gave up on them pretty early. It just seemed as if the show was heading towards the ridiculous at a break-neck pace. Interestingly, I do agree that the one thing that made the show fascinating was Peter Krause's performance as Nate. It really grounded the show, even while the writer's continued to throw crap at him.
Michael wrote:Carmella expressed that she voted for Bush.. so go figure. I also liked that Meadow and Finn being the younger generation seemed aloof about gay issues.
Carmella's voting record wasn't all that surprising. She seems like the kind of woman that would "support her general/commander-in-chief during wartime". If anything, Carmella enjoys personal security no matter what the results of her support means to anyone else, and she always chooses to remain ignorant of how her support harms other innocent by-standards.

As for Meadow and Finn, I'm kind of wondering why they would really be active in regards to gay issues. Finn was very conscious about the fact that his "testimony" would probably result in Vito being killed. How exactly were they supposed to react to the situation?

I liked how Tony thought Finn could relax about the entire Vito situation by having a big sandwich, on the house. It was also priceless how all these gangsters kept telling people they wanted to find Vito so that they could get him the "help" he needed. Comic gold on so many levels.
The Invunche wrote:Man, I was laughing all through Tony's session with Doctor Melfi. I like Jennifer Beals as a lesbian too. And once again Meadow shows how completely blind she is to how her dad and "uncles" make their money.
I thought it was hilarious that Tony had to make certain that he clarified to Dr. Melfi that his own prison stint was of a very short duration. I wonder if The L Word appreciated the free advertising?

Michael

#73 Post by Michael » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:35 am

As for Meadow and Finn, I'm kind of wondering why they would really be active in regards to gay issues. Finn was very conscious about the fact that his "testimony" would probably result in Vito being killed. How exactly were they supposed to react to the situation?

When Meadows spilled the beans about Finn catching Vito sucking a construction worker, she seemed so calm about it like it was no big deal. But the older women around her went berserk like if it was the end of the world. As for Finn, it's more complicated because Vito was taunting him for so long for catching him in the action. It's Vito, not gay issues, that bothered Finn. Plus how could he say no to Meadow's father?

Andre Jurieu

#74 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:49 am

Michael wrote:When Meadows spilled the beans about Finn catching Vito sucking a construction worker, she seemed so calm about it like it was no big deal. But the older women around her went berserk like if it was the end of the world. As for Finn, it's more complicated because Vito was taunting him for so long for catching him in the action. It's Vito, not gay issues, that bothered Finn. Plus how could he say no to Meadow's father?
So, what you're saying is that you're pleased that the Meadow and Finn were indifferent about Vito being gay? I'm just trying to get some clarification (I agree it's a positive that the kids don't feel Vito's sexual orientation is a real issue), because it sounded like you weren't pleased by their reaction, since you used the word "aloof" (the word has a certain negative connotation). When I was reading your initial post, it sounded like you wanted the kids to be more active in regards to gay issues. I guess I was confused a bit because I thought your use of "gay issues" was in regards to "pressing concerns of the gay community regarding their place in society" rather than just "Vito being gay".

Michael

#75 Post by Michael » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:07 pm

No, I have no idea where Meadow and Finn stand on gay issues but what I liked about them is that they remained calm while others went nuts like being gay was the biggest sin of them all. No, I don't expect them to march in pride parades.. they did more than enough by not joining the choir as we can see so far.

Unlike everyone else, Finn had an unique issue. It was with Vito going after Finn for accidentally catching him in the action years ago, not with Vito's sexual orientation.

I never knew that "aloof" has a negative connotation.