The Simpsons

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Matt

#1 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:42 am

Okay, The Simpsons season 6 set is due August 16, but I started this thread to complain about the packaging. No, no, a thousand times, no! We've had 5 seasons worth of consistent packaging, why fuck that up with yet another novelty package?
Last edited by Matt on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:55 am

I agree with you, Matt. (Futurama is better than the Simpsons!) That package will destroy any shelve consistency. (Futurama is better than the Simpsons!) What on earth possessed them to come out with that turd of a package is beyond me. (Futurama is better than the Simpsons!) Is there going to be an alternative set packaged much like the former ones? (Futurama is a lot better than the Simpsons!)

justeleblanc

#3 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:12 am

I doubt there will be alternate packagin, unless of course there are enough complaints.

emcflat

#4 Post by emcflat » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:30 pm

EXTREMELY pissed off about this. Why can't companies just figure out that this s**t makes collectors not want to buy? Just like the Walt Disney Treasures sets, it's not the same if it doesn't match. Garbage.

neuro

#5 Post by neuro » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:44 pm

I think a resounding "annoyed grunt" is wholly appropriate here; it doesn't even have a spine!

Some things are too sacred to mess around with:

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Online
2121 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 2500
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Telephone: (888) 801-9122
International Callers: (310) 649-6546
Fax: (866) 652-9118

justeleblanc

#6 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:46 pm

Maybe we get get the bits in on this to make get more people to make some phone calls today.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#7 Post by dekadetia » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:50 pm

Apparently (as I don't have a specific source, dvdtalk says hometheaterforum says), this shit will go on for the next five seasons for each family member -- yuck. I think I might actually call, for what it's worth... (Agreed, Annie!)

It seems geometrically impossible from the photo, but there could be a normal-style box tucked inside this yellow nightmare. Not likely though.
Last edited by dekadetia on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:53 pm

No Simpsons set will ever beat this one, sadly OOP:

The Invunche

#9 Post by The Invunche » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:41 pm

Is Futurama better than Simpsons?

yumitree

#10 Post by yumitree » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:44 pm

i'm fairly sure that a normal box will be inside that homer's head monstrosity. if you notice, there are two corners peeking of each side of the head. odds are, a normal sized digipack/sleeve will be inside.

dx23

#11 Post by dx23 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:56 pm

That packaging looks like flimsy plastic that is going to have dents all over even if you take care of it. It also looks like those toy cases I used to have as a kid. I believe that if they follow this trend of "head cases", we are going to have a big storage problem when the Marge head comes around.
Last edited by dx23 on Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essrog

#12 Post by essrog » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:21 pm

I, for one, celebrate this shitty packaging -- it gives me an excuse to stop buying these, thus saving me the hundreds of dollars I'd spend on seasons six through umpteen. Maybe the packaging presents a nice, clean breaking point for would-be completists.

Donald Brown

#13 Post by Donald Brown » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:05 pm

The Invunche wrote:Is Futurama better than Simpsons?
No.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#14 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:24 am

i'm fairly sure that a normal box will be inside that homer's head monstrosity.
Nope:

The discs are inside; not a regular box. This is a completely new box style, which will match seasons 6-10.

Cinephrenic

#15 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:23 am

Why does season 6 have to have special packaging different from the rest anyhow? Stupid corporate fucks.

Lino

#16 Post by Lino » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:36 pm

Donald Brown wrote:
The Invunche wrote:Is Futurama better than Simpsons?
No.
I don't want to start a fight but it seems it has already begun...

hearthesilence

#17 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:27 pm

Do you think the packaging is seriously Fox's idea? I have my doubts, Groening & Co. have pretty tight control over the show, moreso in recent years (IIRC, they mention in past DVD commentaries how they keep an eye on the current crop of toys to make sure they're not crappy). I'm not crazy about it either, but I think they're just having fun, nothing that major.

BTW, Futurama was a better show than the Simpsons episodes from the same time frame, but Simpsons seasons 1-8 is THE bomb.

Pinback

#18 Post by Pinback » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:27 am

Annie Mall wrote:Futurama is better than the Simpsons!
As someone who totally agrees, I found this story from DVD Times very exciting:
New Futurama Direct-To-DVD Movies?

There's potentially exciting news on the cards for fans of Matt Groening's prematurely-cancelled series. During a commentary for the DVD release of Disney show Kim Possible John DiMaggio, the voice of Bender, revealed that Groening had told him that plans were afoot to release a series of direct-to-DVD movies of the show, with an option for future broadcast. Although nothing official has been said yet, this is the clearest indication so far that we haven't seen the last of Fry, Leela and the rest of the gang at Planet Express, following earlier rumours that Fox have been looking at putting together a budget for such a project. Here's what the actor had to say:

"I was at the 350th episode of The Simpsons party over at FOX and ran into David X. Cohen and Matt. And David said "Yeah, we're gonna do some straight to DVD movies." I said "all right, well, when I hear Matt say it I'll know." Then I said "Matt, what's up? Give me the straight stuff." And he said "Yeah". So basically, I think what they're gonna do is they're gonna ... do straight to DVD movies that'll be on the air quality. And if FOX wants to put them on, Matt will be like "Guys, put'em on." Looks like we're gonna do it. I haven't heard anything contract-wise or anything like that. So ... anything can happen. But once I sign my name on the dotted line, I'll be singing in the streets."

dx23

#19 Post by dx23 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:29 pm

There are pics of the inside of the "creative" packaging of the Simpsons Season 6 on the following link:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3838

All I can say is this looks like shit. Fox and their diverse packagings!!! I thought they had learned with the 100ft Alien Quadrilogy digipack, but no, they have to make things interesting by releasing something crappier.

godardslave

#20 Post by godardslave » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:47 pm

right wing corporate fascists.

FilmFanSea

#21 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:43 am

If a Fox representative spent even half an hour in a TV-on-DVD forum he/she would quicklylearn that, after "Unedited/uncut full season sets," the number one priority of collectors is "Consistent Packaging." People who collect things love to display them, and people love the look of uniformity on their shelves. Personally, even though I am purchasing the early seasons of The Simpsons, packaging and cover art don't really matter to me. But when you have a franchise as big as this one, with thousands upon thousands of rabid collectors, why risk offending them with a box design that will stick out like a sore thumb? And why exercise your creativity at Season Six?

neuro

#22 Post by neuro » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:02 pm

Our worst suspicions are confirmed with this article.

However, you'll notice that one forum member there claims that he received an early copy of Season 6:

"...there was a leaflet inside saying that if you wanted the normal style packaging for your DVDs you could ring a number and get it."

I'll believe it when I see it.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#23 Post by dekadetia » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:39 pm

neuro wrote:Our worst suspicions are confirmed with this article.

However, you'll notice that one forum member there claims that he received an early copy of Season 6:

"...there was a leaflet inside saying that if you wanted the normal style packaging for your DVDs you could ring a number and get it."

I'll believe it when I see it.
Content of the leaflet (from amazon). The number is deleted, though, which is maybe a little fishy:

For all those that fear change...and for those anal-retentive nerds who like their DVD boxes to line up perfectly on the shelf...and for all those who dislike storing their digital media inside a hollowed-out human head, have we got a deal for you: Just call [1-800 #] for a very derivative, old-style, just-like-before box with almost nothing new or creative to annoy or terrify you. Enjoy!

First Facets calls you "low-brow", and now this? Thanks a ton, dicks!
Last edited by dekadetia on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

flyonthewall2983

#24 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:25 pm

With enough complaints, they'll go back to the old boxes (or better) for season 7.

toiletduck!

#25 Post by toiletduck! » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:07 pm

dekadetia wrote: For all those that fear change...and for those anal-retentive nerds who like their DVD boxes to line up perfectly on the shelf...and for all those who dislike storing their digital media inside a hollowed-out human head, have we got a deal for you: Just call [1-800 #] for a very derivative, old-style, just-like-before box with almost nothing new or creative to annoy or terrify you. Enjoy!
I was riding the fence before, but this poor attempt at humor through condescension seals the deal... I should save quite a bit of money stopping at season five.

-Toilet Dcuk