Homeland

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Homeland

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 am

Far and away the best new show of the otherwise bone dry 2011 TV season, Homeland deserves accolades not only for a richly layered plot and for being the only show that's not completely on the nose on Showtime, but for its real strength: its honest portrayal of a morally conflicted female lead in a position of power. Claire Danes' CIA counterintelligence officer, in the first two episodes, manages to attract and repulse us, and in doing so - we feel that we're watching a real person rather than a "we need a strong female character!" network note-splattered cliche. Where other shows like NBC's Prime Suspect think a jaunty hat is enough to elevate a female lead to memorable male lead status, Danes' Carrie Anderson follows in the almost-successful footsteps of The X-Files and The Killing and goes all the way to establish a true female counterpart to the Tony Sopranos and Walter Whites of the dramatic television landscape. Carrie is portrayed warts-and-all - much like the oft-praised introductory sequence of Tilda Swinton's character in Michael Clayton, there are several sequences that might actually draw a gasp from male viewers. In the first two episodes of the series, we see Carrie give herself what's commonly referred to as a "whore's bath" en route to a CIA briefing, eat all manner of awful food, throw herself at a superior in an effort to absolve herself from professional wrongdoing, have a mini-nervous breakdown in her walk-in closet - and none of this is played with any of the typical Katherine Heigl "I'm a professional woman who just needs to find love!" misogynist bend. As far as Carrie's plot goes, there are smart decisions made, but there are also selfish ones. Brave and cowardly; noble and utterly despicable.

More on the storyline without having to spoilertag: Damian Lewis is [excellent as] a recently rescued Marine prisoner-of-war who was in captivity in Iraq for eight years. His wife, played by Firefly fave Morena Baccarin, is taken aback by his return: I realize this isn't the advertised A-plot of the show, but it is absolutely riveting to see how someone is able to re-integrate into family life when his family has thought he was dead for years. Anyway, acting on a tip she'd gotten about a year earlier, Carrie is completely convinced that this POW has been 'turned,' and is now a terrorist who is dangerous to have living with such [literal and figurative] proximity to the US government. The hook? She's had mental health and disciplinary issues in the past that have threatened the level of trust that her superiors have in her, and she has no tangible proof that this POW is anything but a God-fearing good ol' Marine. I'd dare not spoil much more (and there is so much more) because it's a lot of fun to watch this plot unfold, but with an incredibly strong pilot episode (the best pilot since Breaking Bad, maybe better) and an even better follow-up, you should all be watching along with me to see where this plot will go. If you're a fan of television drama in the Breaking Bad/Mad Men/Justified realm: I promise you, this show is neither as dry or as hokey as it sounds. I may never have been so on board with a TV show this early in its run, and it can hold a candle to any of the aforementioned shows (well, maybe not Breaking Bad).

flyonthewall2983

Re: Homeland

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 am

Yes times infinity to your review, good sir. I felt this way last year with Terriers, a show that struggled with identity and audience due to manipulative advertising and a bad time slot. Fortunately Homeland has neither of those problems. The ads were intriguing enough to get people interested, and it's on right after the jewel in Showtime's crown, Dexter.

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Showtime has rightfully greenlit a 2nd season already.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 am

You have to watch this show, you guys!

Professor Wagstaff

#5 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 am

I want to strongly second that, and I hope this signals a trend in stronger television for an often inconsistent network. Between Breaking Bad and Homeland, I haven't had a dull Sunday night in months.
SpoilerShow
Tonight's backseat sex scene between Brody and Carrie was delightfully wicked when considering the multiple ways in which both characters are intent on (literally and figuratively) screwing each other and the people around them with their illicit and unethical fling. Depending on if your interpretation of the series is that Brody has been turned, the sex scene develops whole new dimensions, with both characters being turned on by their feelings of superiority in double-crossing the other. The final polygraph test is such a tense and exciting conclusion, leaving me elated in only the way Breaking Bad or Terriers has left me in recent years.

flyonthewall2983

#6 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:10 pm

From the time I saw him in the otherwise-dismal Dreamcatcher, I had a feeling Damian Lewis was going to be someone to look out for. This is fulfilling that promise for sure.

Professor Wagstaff

#7 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:11 pm

He's also terrific and really the anchor in Band of Brothers.

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 pm

God damn that was a brilliant EP last night.

LQ

#9 Post by LQ » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:16 am

It really was.
SpoilerShow
I assumed Brody... is-he-or-isn't-he? would be the running storyline of the season, but this show pulled the rug out from under that expectation as deftly and boldly as Breaking Bad would. Further, the reveal that it was Tom who turned made me admire the episodes leading up to last night's all the more, as they certainly lend potent motivational fodder for Tom's plan. Seeing your once-friend and fellow soldier who beat you almost to the point of death rescued, reunited with his wife who (ostensibly) waited for him, and exalted as a shining hero must be like a rusty dagger to the heart; that's enough to make anyone vengefully murderous, even if he hadn't already turned.
Please, everyone who isn't already posting in this thread, watch the show!!

flyonthewall2983

#10 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm a little skeptical now.

flyonthewall2983

#11 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Next week's finale looks absolutely killer. Might be the best show of the year for me.

Professor Wagstaff

#12 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Maybe this will be better suited until after next week's finale, but I'm terrified to think that the show's premise won't be enough to carry on multiple seasons (especially on a network like Showtime which drags things out). That said, the trailer for next week looks off-the-wall and I'm thrilled to that it'll last 90 minutes.

flyonthewall2983

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:27 am

Nothing less than brilliant, from top to bottom.

Murdoch

#14 Post by Murdoch » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:29 pm

I've been catching up with this and agree with the praise. It's nice to see a damaged protagonist whose baggage isn't an underlying greed or other vice, but rather actual human anxiety that isn't used by the writers to hit viewers over the head with "look, our character has depth!" but instead is just a part of her lifestyle and everyday problems.

The story itself is very addictive, although I fear that it could quickly turn into a series of contrived and ridiculous events that distract from the well-rounded characters and move into 24 territory. As of now I'm loving it, but I always approach this high-concept shows with skepticism and I'm hoping that's ill-founded for what is so far a gem of a show.

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:51 pm

It doesn't help that it's on Showtime, where shows quickly decline in quality. I'm hoping this will be the exception, considering how near-perfect this first season was. I don't remember any of their other shows (that I've seen) having such quality the first time at bat.

LQ

#16 Post by LQ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:49 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Nothing less than brilliant, from top to bottom.
I finally caught the season finale, and it was perfect. Heartstopping/breaking.
SpoilerShow
Dana unwittingly talking her dad out of flicking the switch was one of the best scenes on television this year. A bit into the finale, I couldn't have imagined it ending in any other way but with a detonation, but this resolution was genius. Damian Lewis sold that moment with such pathos and power that I realized afterwards, I barely breathed during that scene.

Although, I have to admit that a part of me really wanted poor, poor Carrie to be proven right.

I'm really looking forward to season two, but I wonder where it will find her. Maybe she'll partner up with Virgil to do....? I think the show has enough integrity to ensure that she will not ever be getting her job back.

Murdoch

#17 Post by Murdoch » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 am

SpoilerShow
It definitely had the best "No!" moment of the year when the electroshock therapy was applied right after she figured out the Brody-Nazir connection. I envisioned Brody detonating the bomb as well, after the bunker scene I kept expecting some freak occurrence to happen where he was miraculously, if inexplicably, given another chance.

What I said before about a damaged protagonist is doubly true with the finale, where Carrie is put through an emotional rollercoaster that pulls together every bit of stress from her job, disorder, and relationship with Brody so much so that electroshock therapy becomes a viable option to her! I wonder what will become of her next season as I don't think she can go anywhere but up after all that happened to her in the last two episodes.

It's been a great season, and I have to say my favorite moment was when the FBI agent asks Carrie if she's even been in a firefight, to which she immediately responds yes and he's so taken aback he doesn't respond for about ten seconds.

LQ

#18 Post by LQ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 am

The first part of the AV Club's 4-part interview with Alex Gansa about Homeland's first season.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

tarpilot

#19 Post by tarpilot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:01 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#20 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 pm

I don't know if I can handle another election based season arc.

flyonthewall2983

#21 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:07 pm

flyonthewall2983

#22 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:27 am

Really glad this raked in the gold last night, but I found it a little funny when one of the producers at the end was saying this was a long time coming for Showtime...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#23 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 am

I still think Breaking Bad is the best drama on television by a mile, as much as I enjoy Homeland. But I agree with you that it's silly to think that any other Showtime drama has ever come close to being deserving of that award.

flyonthewall2983

#24 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:02 am

Absolutely agree about Breaking Bad but having to choose between the two respective seasons of each show would be tough on anyone. I was absolutely sure Cranston was going to win, and Danes winning would balance it out. As it is, I'm glad both she and Damian won. He gave a spell-binding performance in nearly every episode.

Professor Wagstaff

#25 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 pm

As much as I enjoy seeing Homeland get some deserved recognition, the recent seasons of Breaking Bad and Mad Men reached new levels of greatness for their nominated seasons, which says something for two shows that seem to be nothing but high points.