Television's Guilty Pleasures

Discuss TV shows old and new.
hearthesilence

Re: Television's Guilty Pleasures

#51 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:16 pm

As soon as I saw this thread, my first thought was Married...with Children which WGN used to run ad nauseum in Chicago. Last time I went back, a friend was actually watching it, an episode that may have been among the last, and it was stunning how blatantly and willfully awfully it was, right down to the cheapest production imaginable with a green screen effect that may not have been suitable for even local cable access. I couldn't help but laugh - if you're making garbage, at least own up to it, and that's exactly what they did.

flyonthewall2983

#52 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:55 am

The show had that feeling of pandering to the lowest-common denominator on the surface, but I remember watching it a bit in the 2000's when it was on FX and other cable channels for awhile and thought it was a hell of a lot smarter than that. This much is certain if you watch the episode of The E! True Hollywood Story about it.

Speaking of which I vaguely remember a lot of episodes of THS, but I found this episode on The Comedy Store on YouTube and it came off better than a lot of the other episodes I remember which were more around tabloid-gossipy type stuff that the network is probably still known to do for all I know.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:58 am

Married... With Children has one of my all time favorite jokes in anything ever: Bud says Kelly has a low IQ and she replies, “I’m not a child, you don’t have to spell out ikwee around me”

flyonthewall2983

#54 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:47 pm

I love A Football Life on the NFL Network. It’s totally propaganda for the league but beneath that there is no lack of good stories about the games and the personalities, all best told with that NFL Films footage and that mode of voice-over typical for sports docs, plain-spoken with some awe.

FrauBlucher

#55 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:58 am
Married... With Children has one of my all time favorite jokes in anything ever: Bud says Kelly has a low IQ and she replies, “I’m not a child, you don’t have to spell out ikwee around me”
I have one… when the family went to a small Fla town on a vacation there was a murderer in town. Al was so flabbergasted by the family as they tried to hide from the killer he said, “My question is why am I trying to run from the killer!” In that great Ed O’Neil delivery.