Hitchcock on Universal DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
onedimension

Re: Hitchcock on Universal DVD and Blu-ray

#501 Post by onedimension » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 pm

What is Fingerhut and how can they sell the set at 66% off?

MichaelB

#502 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:41 pm

By not shipping 66% of orders?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#503 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Hahahahaha. I am going crazy about this Jesus Christ almighty

Noiradelic

#504 Post by Noiradelic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 am

ShellOilJunior wrote:I ordered the set Friday and received a shipping notice today...
This Friday (the 2nd)? I've been checking the last several days, and when it's out of stock the site doesn't appear to let you place an order.

ShellOilJunior

#505 Post by ShellOilJunior » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 am

Noiradelic wrote:
ShellOilJunior wrote:I ordered the set Friday and received a shipping notice today...
This Friday (the 2nd)? I've been checking the last several days, and when it's out of stock the site doesn't appear to let you place an order.
Yep. I checked it on my break at work around 11am (EST) and got lucky.

I just made sure that I was already registered going in. I missed out before because a button wasn't working in the registration process.

hearthesilence

#506 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Got the set this weekend. Still not a fan of these cardboard slipcase wallets, they really suck. I've pulled Marnie and Vertigo and both were marked up. The former had some kind of residue that did come off, but there's definitely a small knick in the disc. Vertigo has these long, thin smears that look like bad scratches but with some gentle buffing, they eventually started to smear off - it'll probably take a while to clean.

Anyway, Marnie is definitely a disappointment. As the opening shot pulls out, the 'lattice' structure of the noise does become very apparent for a second or two.

I'm not sure the mono track on Vertigo is the original, but if it isn't, they definitely fixed up the remix and at least got the levels and maybe the compression right so that the new Foley effects don't sound out of place.

oldsheperd

#507 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm

I got the set and my shoes!

matrixschmatrix

#508 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:28 pm

How's the grain structure on the shoes?

kekid

#509 Post by kekid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm

The only way to take any disc out of this set is by touching its surface with fingers, leaving fingermarks every time you take out a disc to play.
If anyone has found a creative way to take discs out of this set without leaving fingermarks on its surface near the edge, please let me know. I will be very obliged.
I cannot understand how large manufacturing companies can design packages that do not respect basic rules of quality.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#510 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:34 am

IT SHIPPED

Jeff

#511 Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 am

mfunk9786 wrote:IT SHIPPED
Our long national nightmare is over.

mckeldinb

#512 Post by mckeldinb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 pm

kekid wrote:The only way to take any disc out of this set is by touching its surface with fingers, leaving fingermarks every time you take out a disc to play.
If anyone has found a creative way to take discs out of this set without leaving fingermarks on its surface near the edge, please let me know. I will be very obliged.
I cannot understand how large manufacturing companies can design packages that do not respect basic rules of quality.
I use the microfiber cleaning cloth that came with my laptop. My Universal Monster Classics box set had gooey residue around the edges of most of the discs ... very distressing (I know, I know I should have returned the box... but dealing with Deep Discount for returns can be such a pain). All the discs played without a problem, but I can only hope that the residue doesn't contain chemicals that will shorten the life of the discs. Anyway, I discovered the best way to get the discs out of the slip covers without damage is to gently take hold of the edge of the disc using the microfiber cloth as protection and give a gentle tug if necessary. When the Hitchcock set arrived yesterday, I was all prepared with cloth in hand. :lol: Fortunately there is no stickiness around the edges of the Hitch discs so they slip in and out much more easily than the Monsters (still will use the cloth, however).

kekid

#513 Post by kekid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:31 pm

mckeldinb wrote:
kekid wrote:The only way to take any disc out of this set is by touching its surface with fingers, leaving fingermarks every time you take out a disc to play.
I use the microfiber cleaning cloth that came with my laptop. My Universal Monster Classics box set had gooey residue around the edges of most of the discs ... very distressing (I know, I know I should have returned the box... but dealing with Deep Discount for returns can be such a pain). All the discs played without a problem, but I can only hope that the residue doesn't contain chemicals that will shorten the life of the discs. Anyway, I discovered the best way to get the discs out of the slip covers without damage is to gently take hold of the edge of the disc using the microfiber cloth as protection and give a gentle tug if necessary. When the Hitchcock set arrived yesterday, I was all prepared with cloth in hand. :lol: Fortunately there is no stickiness around the edges of the Hitch discs so they slip in and out much more easily than the Monsters (still will use the cloth, however).
Thank you for that suggestion. However, for a set costing more than $200 it should not be necessary to find a microfiber cleaning cloth to keep the discs protected. I bet most buyers of the set will not be doing that, and the discs will be smeared with finger marks. Is there an e-mail address I can communicate the problem to? Thank you once again.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#514 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Just use your shirt. Blu-ray discs don't scratch very easily.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#515 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Do you have any idea how much I paid for my shirt?

hearthesilence

#516 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Universal needs to go easy on the glue, though, that's what's smearing my discs. Even after I clean one off, when I place it back into the sleeve, it hits a spot inside that's stuck together from the same gunk. It doesn't take much effort to push the disc through, separating the inside of the sleeve, but it just re-smears the disc. At least they made the sleeves extra-glossy, but still, this is pretty bad packaging.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#517 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Definitely not trying to claim it's good packaging, believe me

tojoed

#518 Post by tojoed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 pm

swo17 wrote:Do you have any idea how much I paid for my shirt?
I'm guessing about the same as Old Shepherd'S shoes.

mckeldinb

#519 Post by mckeldinb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Universal needs to go easy on the glue, though, that's what's smearing my discs. Even after I clean one off, when I place it back into the sleeve, it hits a spot inside that's stuck together from the same gunk. It doesn't take much effort to push the disc through, separating the inside of the sleeve, but it just re-smears the disc. At least they made the sleeves extra-glossy, but still, this is pretty bad packaging.
Damn... so we're certain the glue is coming from the packaging? I mentioned this (re: the Monsters set) to a co-worker who has a little bit of knowledge about pressed optical media, and he thought maybe the problem was too much adhesive during the pressing stage. Personally I would prefer that was the problem, as presumably there wouldn't be chemicals in that adhesive that would cause long-term disc damage.

Of course either way, it's shoddy packaging (and I didn't mean to imply that the use of the microfiber cloth mitigated Universal's responsibility).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#520 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:53 am

Other folks who ordered on 10/19 are reporting on Blu-ray.com that their orders are now showing as cancelled. Anyone who hasn't seen this ship yet should start calling Fingerhut and making sure their order will ship. Ask to speak to a supervisor, and ask the supervisor to e-mail the vendor to make sure that your order is going to be shipped.

Dick Laurent

#521 Post by Dick Laurent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm

mine shipped from zavvi today at 75£, I didn't think they would honor that price

Grand Wazoo

#522 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:49 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Other folks who ordered on 10/19 are reporting on Blu-ray.com that their orders are now showing as cancelled. Anyone who hasn't seen this ship yet should start calling Fingerhut and making sure their order will ship. Ask to speak to a supervisor, and ask the supervisor to e-mail the vendor to make sure that your order is going to be shipped.
Damn, cancelled. Talked to two different reps on the phone claiming the vendor had no stock left, they couldn't keep the order open, I have to re-order once it comes back in stock. They are sending me the original coupon in the mail and assure me that if the price goes up there are multiple notations on my account which would allow me to purchase at the sale price. Notations that I cannot see and they refused to give me any proof of. After 45 min I just accepted this and will have to give it another shot when/if it returns to the site. Oh well.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#523 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. I got extremely lucky, it turns out.

perkizitore

#524 Post by perkizitore » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 am

Just received my set from Zavvi :P

hearthesilence

Re: Vertigo

#525 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Vertigo is showing at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens on Saturday, November 17 at 4pm.
"Shown in an extremely rare collector’s IB Technicolor print, which keeps the original soundtrack and color beautifully intact." !!