Will Rogers Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

#1 Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:18 pm

Once speculated as Criterion fodder, John Ford's Steamboat 'Round the Bend has been announced by Fox. Unfortunately, it is only available as part of a Will Rogers collection. Here is the scoop from DVD Times:
Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of the Will Rogers Collection Volume 1 for 25th July 2006 priced at $59.98 SRP. This collection includes the last four films of Will Rogers career, released both before and after his death in 1935.

Life Begins At Forty

* Full Frame Feature
* Commentary by Anthony Slide
* Restoration Comparison (3:00)
* Trailer

Steamboat Round The Bend

* Full Frame Feature
* Commentary by Scott Eyman
* Trailer

Doubting Thomas

* Full Frame Feature
* A&E Biography- Will Rogers: An American Original (90:00)
* Movietone News
* Will Rogers Memorial Fund
* Stage Dedicated To Will Rogers In Hollywood
* Trailer

In Old Kentucky

* Full Frame Feature
* Movietone News
* Film Executives Visit Memorial to Will Rogers
* Will Rogers off with Wiley Post to Arctic Circle
* Trailer

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Are they kidding me with that price? It's a nice set with some enticing extras, but I'd even have second thoughts about buying it at half the price.

tryavna

#3 Post by tryavna » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:27 am

matt wrote:Are they kidding me with that price? It's a nice set with some enticing extras, but I'd even have second thoughts about buying it at half the price.
Matt, whenever you express surprise or dismay, I always imagine that your own facial expression matches that of your avatar.

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:45 am

tryavna wrote:Matt, whenever you express surprise or dismay, I always imagine that your own facial expression matches that of your avatar.
It usually does.

"Why can't you give me the respect that I'm entitled to? Why can't you treat me like I would be treated by any stranger on the street?"

"Because I am NOT one of your FAAAAAAAAAANS!"

clutch44

#5 Post by clutch44 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Fox is reaching with this release, wouldn't surprise me if Vol. 2 never saw the light of day and if so a major markdown along the lines of the Marilyn Monroe box sets is assured. Aside from Steamboat Round The Bend, the A&E Biography holds more interest to me than any of the other films in the set.

unclehulot

#6 Post by unclehulot » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:45 pm

Well, I guess if you've been waiting since the beginning of time for SOME Will Rogers to be released, the price is reasonable enough. Around $10 a film with discounts.......what's cheaper? Some Warner boxes, yes, agreed. Universal DVD 18 dump packs. Sure, but without any extras. I'm just glad to see Fox dig deeper. Just maybe, they'll cough up those Borzage silents, and some early John Ford if we buy this kind of thing.

Gigi M.

#7 Post by Gigi M. » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:59 am

DVDTalk Review

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:33 am

Beaver review.

Matt

#9 Post by Matt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:33 pm

dx23 wrote:From dvdtimes.co.uk:
Will Rogers Collection Vol.2 in December

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Will Rogers Collection Volume 2 for 12th December 2006 priced at $59.98 SRP. This four-disc Cinema Classics releases features a further four films from the career of Will Rogers: Ambassador Bill (1931), David Harum (1934), Mr. Skitch (1933) and To Busy To Work (1932).

Features are TBC.

Cover art here.

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 am

DVDBeaver reviews Volume 2.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

Re: Will Rogers Collection

#11 Post by Godot » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:23 pm

I was in a used media store yesterday and spotted a nice 20th Century Fox "Cinema Classics" DVD edition of Too Busy to Work, a 1932 Will Rogers film I'd never seen before; I hesitated at the $12 price, but had my handy smart phone to comparison shop. Turns out it was in volume 2, as noted above. I picked up both volumes 1 & 2 on eBay for $5-8 each after doing a little research. If you want to get more Will Rogers on DVD, the "Ford at Fox American Comedies" box also sells for sub $10. This reminded me of how prices can continue to drop if you wait long enough, and there's plentiful supply (box sets that didn't sell, DVDs that were eventually supplanted by blu-ray releases); or you can lose the gamble if the discs sell and go OOP.

I know it's been nearly 13 years, but wanted to revive the thread in case there were Will Rogers fans who were discouraged by the high original release prices and may still be interested in seeing these films (or had forgotten about them, as I clearly had).