Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
captveg

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1126 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:50 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:03 pm
and THE MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1933)
This is one of the rare WAC releases that has newly produced bonus content:

Documentary "Remembering Fay Wray"
Audio Commentary by Author & Film Historian Alan K. Rode
Audio Commentary by Scott MacQueen, head of preservation, UCLA Film & Television Archive
Restoration Featurette

Restoration sample:

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1127 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:
UCLA has been posting multiple times online about how their 4K restoration was upcoming from Warner Archive. Finally happy to see it coming out. I actually saw it at UCLA (on 35mm, before the restoration) on a double-feature with Curtiz's other two-strip Technicolor horror film, Doctor X (1932), where a doctor creates synthetic flesh in an incredibly goopy scene.

Ribs

#1128 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:16 pm

Sunday in New York (1963)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1129 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:23 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:16 pm
Sunday in New York (1963)
Wow, WA's wacky "We'll release anything, just not everything" approach yields great rewards this round! Here's my write-up from the Theatrical List Project
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Sunday in New York (Peter Tewksbury 1963) Screwball Comedies didn’t die, they just became Sex Comedies in the late fifties and early sixties. Sex Comedies of course are the last clearly identifiable Hollywood genre to form and play out before the studio system’s demise and the mix of old fashioned morality with newfound sexual liberation (such as it is) rarely disappoints in producing fascinatingly disjointed and contradictory entertainments. Sunday in New York is on the whole conventionally moralistic, as in Shakespeare’s comedies, everyone ends up married and domestic. Yet, before they get there, the film manages to be legitimately shocking in its candor. Now, it’s pretty clear that most of the source material has been scrubbed down to the bare minimum of what allowable on American screens at this time, but even as a seasoned vet of movies like this I was genuinely impressed with what the filmmakers were allowed to get away with here.

Jane Fonda plays in many ways the flipside of her Tall Story character, a young woman who flees her relationship because her boyfriend wants to sleep with her without marrying her. Virginal Fonda drops in unannounced on her brother Cliff Robertson in the Big Apple and grills him on whether its normal for guys to always want sex so much. She tells him her boyfriend is, and I quote here, “Tired of going to the gymnasium and playing handball three times a week.” Protective of her virtue, Robertson gives her a lie about his own moral prowess, fidgeting around his apartment all the while as of course his girlfriend was about to drop in for some quick morning sex!

Through a series of absurd screwball plot contrivances, Fonda leaves the apartment and keeps running into Rod Taylor, and the two eventually end up back at her brother’s place. The scene is set for the film's centerpiece sequence in which, clutch the pearls everyone, Fonda decides to throw herself at Taylor, a perfect stranger she'd only just met hours prior, and… the film doesn’t cut away once the lovemaking begins. She even teasingly says in the middle of making out that this is the part where the screen always fades to black in the movies, a knowing wink to the audiences watching as the seduction and sex continues, but also an acknowledgement that Fonda herself doesn’t really know what comes next.

The film does of course have to cut away at some point, as things may be evolving for the era but we’re still at least a couple years away from being able to show Fonda having sex on-screen! Once we’re back, we see the situation has been complicated: Fonda and Taylor are pacing around the room naked (in robes, but still). Turns out Fonda interrupted him before he could consummate their speedy courtship, off screen, and informed him of her virginity, to which he of course cannot impugn with sex! She tries to convince him to take her virginity (biggest leap of faith in history of cinema is required here: Jane Fonda circa-1963 having to broker with any cognizant human being to sleep with her?), arguing against his phony morality (one that mirrors her brother’s), “Who do you think you're talking to, a sixteen year old girl you’re selling into white slavery?” As you can see, the film is refreshing and brazenly racy.

Things get farcical, as they often do in these movies, with the inopportune introduction of the fiancee and the brother and so on. The film settles into a more conventional but still frequently funny idiot plot where characters have to pretend to be each other and it’s all very silly and quite a distraction from the best thing here, which are the intriguing and provocative interactions between Taylor and Fonda. Still, even with a bagful of sex farce crutches, the film is a lot of fun.

Director Peter Tewksbury CV’s basically this, some Elvis movies, a Disney flick, another sex comedy, and over a hundred episodes of Father Knows Best (all unseen by me, but not promising on the whole), but I have no idea how that can be when this film adaptation of Norman Krasna’s Broadway smash is so cleverly visualized and laid out with such intelligence and comic deftness that I was sure it was the work of a master and I just didn’t recognize the name. I especially liked the visual gag in the second bus scene, which instead of giving us a traditional shot-reverse shots plays out without cuts the delayed and looping reaction of an extra to events that transpired in the prior scene without comment in the conscious framing of the left third of the screen as Fonda and Taylor prattle on:

The film is smartly and elegantly made, so much so that I came to dread the heavier farce bits in the second half, even though they made me a laugh a lot (especially Robertson’s deadpan response to being inducted into the stupidity of the plot), because I wanted to see the craft put to better use on the salacious sexual politics the film handles far better and not the sillier and more familiar situational comedy of the genre. Still, even with caveats, this is a provocative and entertaining film with lots of laughs and comes Highly Recommended. (24)

Monterey Jack

#1130 Post by Monterey Jack » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:47 pm

...and I'm still left waiting for Brian De Palma's Femme Fatale...

whaleallright

#1131 Post by whaleallright » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:26 pm

that's a good writeup. I'm also a little fascinated by this moment in Hollywood history. Dear Heart is another romantic comedy-drama from the same moment that is somehow both awesomely square and bracingly candid about sex and adult relationships. (and then there are the more "serious" examples like Splendor in the Grass.)

Ribs

#1132 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Selena (1997)

Feego

#1133 Post by Feego » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:52 pm

The Reluctant Debutante (1958)

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#1134 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:02 pm

I'm always glad to see Minnelli on blu-ray, but, truly, what on earth is keeping them from Tea & Sympathy and Some Came Running?

therewillbeblus

#1135 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Hopefully they're waiting on a resto for Some Came Running because there doesn't seem to be any excuse for that one. I don't care much for the other even if I found plenty of merit objectively.

Calvin

#1136 Post by Calvin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Have Warner Archive ever made comment on Ford's 7 Women? It seems strange that it has never had a release of any sort from them

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1137 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:05 pm

I am thrilled that they are using the version of the original poster art for Reluctant Debutante that features Rex Harrison making an expression that never fails to lighten my mood

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1138 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:37 pm

I know this is heresy but why don't you make that your avatar?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1139 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:13 pm

I don't post here to bring joy

lzx

#1140 Post by lzx » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:47 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 pm
Grand Wazoo wrote:
UCLA has been posting multiple times online about how their 4K restoration was upcoming from Warner Archive. Finally happy to see it coming out. I actually saw it at UCLA (on 35mm, before the restoration) on a double-feature with Curtiz's other two-strip Technicolor horror film, Doctor X (1932), where a doctor creates synthetic flesh in an incredibly goopy scene.
And they've just posted the Restoration Featurette on their YouTube channel!

FrauBlucher

#1141 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 03, 2020 1:22 pm

I heard Feltenstein on Dick Dinman’s Classics Corner webcast. He said it is going to be a big year for classic film fans. Some of what they were working on will get pushed back a little. Unfortunately he didn’t give any specifics on titles

whaleallright

#1142 Post by whaleallright » Sun May 03, 2020 4:02 pm

It's incredible that Feltenstein has been doing this for over 35 years—since before the LaserDisc era.

FrauBlucher

#1143 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri May 08, 2020 9:45 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Grand Wazoo wrote:
bluray.com review.... very impressive

L.A.

#1144 Post by L.A. » Sat May 09, 2020 11:30 am

Grand Wazoo wrote:
CineSavant.

FrauBlucher

#1145 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Romance on the High Seas announced....
ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948)
Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Vintage Musical Short "Lets Sing a Song from the Movies"; Classic Cartoon "Hare Splitter"; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Bon voyage! Georgia Garrett’s singing career may not be going anywhere, but she is. She’s on a cruise, sailing under the name Mrs. Elvira Kent while the real Elvira secretly stays home to spy on her presumably philandering hubby. Meanwhile, the husband hires a spy to snoop on his supposedly voyaging wife. Doris Day makes her maiden film voyage, debuting as Georgia in a colorful bauble afloat on romantic seas. The studio surrounds the sunny overnight screen sensation with top talent: Michael Curtiz directs, the Epstein brothers provide the script, Busby Berkeley guides musical numbers, Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn create the tunes, and costars include Oscar Levant and Jack Carson. “It’s Magic,” Day sings. Yes, it is.
SpoilerShow
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Tue May 19, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1146 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Excellent news!

senseabove

#1147 Post by senseabove » Tue May 19, 2020 2:28 pm

And now Strike up the Band:
STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940)
Run Time 100:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO
Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, 1.37:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Introduction to the Film by Mickey Rooney; Pete Smith Specialty Comedy Short "Wedding Bells"; Cartoon "Romeo in Rhythm"; "Do the La Conga" Stereo Remix Version; "Leo is on the Air" Radio Promo; "Millions for Defense" (Audio Only); Lux Radio Theater 1940 Broadcast; Theatrical Trailer (HD)
Among cinema’s many treasures, few are as delightfully entertaining as the musical pairings of Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. Strike Up the Band is one of the brightest results of that talented collaboration. Brimming with youthful high spirits, Mickey and Judy are effervescent as high school kids who are ready and eager to climb the long ladder of success. He’s an energetic bandleader, she’s his lovelorn singer. Together, they sing and dance their way to the top, with a few bumps along the way! Of course, the film abounds in musical riches, from a rousing “Drummer Boy,” performed by Mickey and Judy, to Judy’s plaintive rendition of “(I Ain’t Got) Nobody.” There’s an all-out musical tribute to that forties dance craze, the conga (“Do the La Conga!”), and a stirring patriotic finale to the title song.
SpoilerShow

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1148 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Which I guess means they're planning to string out all four of those movies individually

senseabove

#1149 Post by senseabove » Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm

What's weird is Robert Harris says Romance is a scan derived from the original nitrate negatives, yet the press release doesn't have their usual "BRAND NEW 2020 MASTER" line... It looks like Romance has a 2017 DVD release, so I wonder if the SIP situation is making them dip into older DVD releases that were recent enough to handle a BD upgrade, and they don't want to put "BRAND NEW 2017 MASTER" in their ad copy?

And Strike up the Band had a 2018 WAC DVD release...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1150 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 19, 2020 3:32 pm

These were both pressed discs first long before that, in the Doris Day and Garland/Rooney boxes