Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

#426 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:32 am

Fox is rereleasing all the Die Hards again, this time inside the Nakatomi Plaza

However, as dumb as this, allegedly the set will finally contain the Unrated version of Live Free or Die Hard on Blu for the first time

manicsounds

#427 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Hopefully will include the DVD extras that were left off too...

knives

#428 Post by knives » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Not that anyone cares because it is terrible, but isn't that a little spoiler for the fifth movie's villain?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#429 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:50 pm

The card for the fifth movie's villain should be a picture of whoever greenlit the film

knives

#430 Post by knives » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Or whoever gave John Moore the reigns.

Stefan Andersson

#431 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:33 am

Heaven Can Wait, restored by The Film Foundation, screens at this year´s Venice Film Festival:
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/ve ... ntID=42422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

captveg

#432 Post by captveg » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Per MifuneFan on blu-ray.com, some of the Regency re-issues are starting to show up at foxconnect.com.

warren oates

#433 Post by warren oates » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:45 am

domino harvey wrote:Holy shit: the New Age, never even released on DVD, is coming out on Blu next month
EDIT: Also Breaking Up, Carpool, Dangerous Beauty, Goodbye Lover, Made in America, Second Best, the Sunchaser, and That Night. Fox just doubled their yearly back catalog output in one release day!
Anyone know what the deal is with this slate of titles? I preordered The New Age from Amazon, which was supposed to finally be shipping this week, and it seems like it's been delayed again indefinitely, relegated to the limbo of "currently unavailable" without having yet been officially canceled or rescheduled.

captveg

#434 Post by captveg » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:06 pm

I suspect a lot of these were simply Fox re-issues of DVDs incorrectly listed as BDs.

FrauBlucher

#435 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:33 pm

flyonthewall2983

#436 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:28 am

James Cameron confirmed work on a new wet-gate 4K scan of The Abyss, and a possible release on Blu-ray early next year.

hearthesilence

#437 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:11 pm

FrauBlucher

#438 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Wednesday Disney officially takes over 20th Century Fox. It'll be interesting to see what direction the Fox catalogue goes in, but I don't have confidence that Disney will be cinephile friendly. The catalogue will end up on the Disney streaming service, but can't see anymore than that.

captveg

#439 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Disney has licensed titles to Kino (and more selectively to Criterion), so maybe they'll be okay with Fox titles continuing to be licensed to Twilight Time, Shout Factory and perhaps a new batch to Kino.

flyonthewall2983

#440 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:35 pm
The catalogue will end up on the Disney streaming service, but can't see anymore than that.
I don't know if all of the Fox catalogue goes to the new service, they are aiming to be family-friendly. I am guessing the more non-family movies would go to Hulu, where they might wind up taking over first-run TV rights from HBO.

But what it means for physical media who knows. Disney let Criterion put out the three movies Wes Anderson directed for them on Blu-ray, so maybe they could have the same leeway for Fox.

FrauBlucher

#441 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:34 pm

How will Disney handle Fox Archive for repertory bookings... This needs to be watched going forward, as this could be an indicaation of what's to come for the Fox catalogue

hearthesilence

#442 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:15 am

I finally got Gentlemen Prefer Blondes on BD despite some concerns cited elsewhere, and unfortunately it's as disappointing as one might be expect. The grain "management" is horrible, similar to the strange effects seen on the Criterion BD for The Earrings of Madame de... where chunks of detail seem to clump together in Bizarro fashion and the edges of people and certain objects look unusually defined. It's been the only HD option for a while anyway, so what can you do?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#443 Post by tenia » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 am

I'd say it's bad, but not Madame De's "water-painting" bad. It made me think of a Lowry restoration, but it's a shame anyway it's been handled this heavily.

hearthesilence

#444 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:51 pm

tenia wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 am
I'd say it's bad, but not Madame De's "water-painting" bad.
It's not uniformly that bad but look at the shot near the beginning when that group of men first see Monroe and Russell arriving. Something funky is going on with Harry Carey Jr.'s face, though oddly it seems to improve when they cut back to the men after we get their POV shot of Monroe and Russell.

Anyway there's probably no point in me splitting hairs, I think we all agree it's just bad and needs to be re-done.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#445 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:24 am

Oh yeah, it's bad anyway and vastly obsolete now. I just think that Madame de really is even worse (though it's no consolation for Blondes).

Ribs

#446 Post by Ribs » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 am

4K releases of Speed and Heat coming in May, putting paid to the baseless rumor that nonetheless caught like wildfire the live action catalog was just totally dead

flyonthewall2983

#447 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Hopefully Speed has all of the extras from the special edition DVD they did back 20 years ago too. That really stands up as a perfect action film of that time in the mold of Die Hard and Terminator 2. Kind of interesting that it took however long between that and Blue Velvet for someone to see that kind of potential in Dennis Hopper, to be a villain in major action movies (only to be completely squandered when he did Waterworld).

willoneill

#448 Post by willoneill » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 am
4K releases of Speed and Heat coming in May, putting paid to the baseless rumor that nonetheless caught like wildfire the live action catalog was just totally dead
Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits tweeted that his sources told him these releases are indeed happening ... presumably not the same sources who told Bill last year that there would be no more Disney/Fox catalogue 4K releases.

captveg

#449 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:44 pm

willoneill wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:05 pm
Ribs wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 am
Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits tweeted that his sources told him these releases are indeed happening ... presumably not the same sources who told Bill last year that there would be no more Disney/Fox catalogue 4K releases.
I wouldn't be surprised if these were prepared in 2019 pre-merger for release on the heels of the 4K UHDs of Die Hard and Alien. Perhaps the lack of pandemic theatrical revenue has Disney changing their minds a bit about catalog titles, especially if these were ready to go.

We know The Abyss was being worked on for 4K in 2019 as well, so fingers crossed (though Cameron's lack of signature has held it and True Lies up for years according to several sources).

Ribs

#450 Post by Ribs » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:40 pm

As I and others reiterated at the time, Bill Hunt often ascribes "his sources" to just literally be parroting things already said earlier on Blu-ray.com, which is viewed as confirmation from a second source and fact instead of just repeating a ill-founded rumor. The changing terms of the thing, from, "well, *after* Home Alone" to "well, not including animated movies" really seemed a red flag to me. The gap between Disney's previous catalog release and Home Alone and Home Alone to these is an extra month or two. Nothing seems different. I really, really doubt there's anything left in the queue from the handover which has now been taking place for three years.