Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

Re: Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

#476 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:24 pm

dwk wrote:The UK UHD of The Abyss has been cancelled because Lightstorm vetoed releasing it with the BBFC mandated cut (the rat breathing liquid scene.)
Legally mandated cut, to be strictly correct - the BBFC’s hands were tied.

(The relevant legislation is the 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act.)

dwk

#477 Post by dwk » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:24 pm
dwk wrote:The UK UHD of The Abyss has been cancelled because Lightstorm vetoed releasing it with the BBFC mandated cut (the rat breathing liquid scene.)
Legally mandated cut, to be strictly correct - the BBFC’s hands were tied.

(The relevant legislation is the 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act.)
I know, but it is still ridiculous that the scene in question, in which the rat is not harmed, is cut but things like a mouse getting fed to a cat in Inferno pass uncut because someone claimed (most likely lied) that they just happened to catch the cat eating a mouse.

MichaelB

#478 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:46 am

But the rat clearly was harmed, as it was visibly absolutely terrified, and no wonder - it legitimately thought it was drowning.

And terrifying an animal is explicitly proscribed by the Animals Act. Cruelty doesn’t have to leave a physical mark.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#479 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:51 am

Weren't any previous release and showing of the movie with this cut cut anyway ? Or is it something the BBFC didn't know before and is requesting now to be cut as per the law ?

Dr Amicus

#480 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:25 am

I think it's always been cut. Funnily enough, the scene in question was shown on tv years ago back in one of those America's Top Ten shows that ITV or Channel 4 showed at 2am over a weekend - it was the clip chosen when the film either had opened or was about to.

Mr Sausage

#481 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:00 pm

The trouble with that scene is it’s not extraneous. It’s adding crucial plot information.

flyonthewall2983

#482 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:49 pm

In a more abstract way such a stumbling block is more then a bit indicative what a pain in the ass it was to make, since by most accounts it was a grueling shoot.