Hou Hsiao-hsien

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
StevenJ0001

Re: Hou Hsiao-hsien

#201 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Zot! wrote:
The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
artfilmfan wrote:The Blu-ray edition that was released a few years ago is not progressively encoded and the upcoming Japanese release does not have English subtitles (according to CDJapan). So, neither of these is an attractive option.
I would be surprised if Sony used a different encode for the two-pack release. In fact I suspect it's the exact same disc. The only thing that suggests otherwise is that the listings don't mention the French and Japanese subs from the old Dust in the Wind disc, but it's possible A Time to Live only has Chinese/English and the listings reflect the lowest common denominator, so to speak.

This is pretty frustrating for me since I just picked up the Dust in the Wind Blu a month and a half ago, but there are hazy indications this box set will be followed up by something plainer—the notebook and production log are described as "limited gifts," which implies a giftless version will eventually show up. Ideally they'd just release them separately. Still, it's taking a chance to wait.

(This also makes me wonder if we'll finally get The River in a two-pack with Vive l'amour...)
So I received this, along with Terrorizers from jsdvd, who I can wholeheartedly recommend despite their Chinese puzzle of a ordering process. Very fast, very nice packaging. Three movies together with shipping were less than $100. Of course my Momitsu starts acting up the very same day, not wanting to play certain discs, so I can report nothing other than the artwork is very nice and that the "book" that comes with it is like a weird diary or something, and contains a few stills among many blank pages....that I am supposed to fill with my own thoughts presumably. So don't worry if you miss out on that particular piece of ephemera. Perhaps one day I will brew my Eric Rohmer tea and jot down some of my ruminations in my Dust in the Wind notebook.
Thanks for the info! Please post when you've had a chance to check the image quality, etc.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#202 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:45 pm

I also ordered the new HHH set and Terrorizers from JSDVD -- but am still waiting -- and the tracking number they gave doesn't provide much info. ;~}

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#203 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 pm

It looks like they have the 1995-2001 HHH box available

I had a friend in Taiwan try to buy it for me at a local store, only to be told it was out of print.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#204 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks for the tip! People should snap up that Terrorizers Blu-ray as well. I was under the impression that that had been all sold out for a while.

Zot!

#205 Post by Zot! » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:I also ordered the new HHH set and Terrorizers from JSDVD -- but am still waiting -- and the tracking number they gave doesn't provide much info. ;~}
I actually went for the cheaper option (airmail) and the tracking information will tell you when the package arrives to your country's customs and when it passes. I received it a day after.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#206 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:13 pm

A poster on Blu-ray.com (who doesn't seem to be our own Zot!) says the Dust in the Wind disc does in fact have a proper 1080p encode that fixes whatever caused the judder in the previous release. The subtitles and the extras are apparently the same (I assume the retrospective documentary is the same one from the earlier edition). The poster also notes that both films come in individual Blu cases, which strongly points to individual releases somewhere down the line.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#207 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:11 pm

jindianajonz wrote:It looks like they have the 1995-2001 HHH box available

I had a friend in Taiwan try to buy it for me at a local store, only to be told it was out of print.
I received this set today as an early Christmas present, and although I won't be able to check out the discs themselves for a couple of days, the quality of the box itself is outstanding. It's made from a very sturdy plastic-like material (perhaps a plastic coated cardboard?), and the discs are each given a spindle rather than slots. Most surprising is the full color 32 page booklet in both English and Chinese, with each film getting a directors statement and a quick synopsis, except for Flowers of Shanghai which gets a full three page synopsis in addition to two pages of background information. The back of the box lists the movies as being 16:9 and region free.

I've uploaded a couple of pictures of the set here. I'd advise anyone who is interested to grab this set before it sells out- if the disc quality is anywhere near quality of the packaging, $35 and shipping is an absolute steal.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#208 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:28 pm

I reviewed the set earlier in the thread (see this post) and posted some screen caps in the appropriate thread. To sum up, everything except Flowers of Shanghai and Millennium Mambo is probably as good as we'll get on DVD, Flowers of Shanghai is still the best official English-subbed edition despite its problems, and the French or Australian disc is still the best option for Millennium Mambo.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#209 Post by swo17 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:59 pm

jindiana, I fear you may have gotten the last copy. I ordered right after you posted and my order status suggests that they no longer have any stock.

Zot!

#210 Post by Zot! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:27 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:A poster on Blu-ray.com (who doesn't seem to be our own Zot!) says the Dust in the Wind disc does in fact have a proper 1080p encode that fixes whatever caused the judder in the previous release. The subtitles and the extras are apparently the same (I assume the retrospective documentary is the same one from the earlier edition). The poster also notes that both films come in individual Blu cases, which strongly points to individual releases somewhere down the line.
Indeed, not me, but I think I can confirm the same. It's definitely a new disc, with a new menu, and no Japanese subs. Additionally, I it looks like the blue cast has also been corrected. It's definitely warmer than the beaver caps, but I don't own the original to compare. My new player doesn't identify interlacing like an oppo, but I can see no motion judder or interlacing. It looks great to me, and TTLTTD appears to be on par. Man are these beautiful films. If others can confirm the same, I would say this is a must.

Moshrom

#211 Post by Moshrom » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Zot! wrote:Additionally, I it looks like the blue cast has also been corrected. It's definitely warmer than the beaver caps, but I don't own the original to compare. My new player doesn't identify interlacing like an oppo, but I can see no motion judder or interlacing. It looks great to me, and TTLTTD appears to be on par. Man are these beautiful films. If others can confirm the same, I would say this is a must.
If you can take one or two screen captures of Dust in the Wind (I believe the blue cast is most easily seen in outdoor scenes/any with characters wearing white), I can take some matching ones of the first disc, so we can see for certain.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#212 Post by swo17 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:01 pm

And now that page only shows a giant 'X'. This is almost as disappointing as It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Zot!

#213 Post by Zot! » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Moshrom wrote:
Zot! wrote:Additionally, I it looks like the blue cast has also been corrected. It's definitely warmer than the beaver caps, but I don't own the original to compare. My new player doesn't identify interlacing like an oppo, but I can see no motion judder or interlacing. It looks great to me, and TTLTTD appears to be on par. Man are these beautiful films. If others can confirm the same, I would say this is a must.
If you can take one or two screen captures of Dust in the Wind (I believe the blue cast is most easily seen in outdoor scenes/any with characters wearing white), I can take some matching ones of the first disc, so we can see for certain.
I'm afraid I have no means to do so. I can take photo of my screen, if you like. Perhaps ask over at blu-Ray.com for better results.
Also adding fodder to the idea that these will be released individually is that each film has a unique UPC.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#214 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Just skimming the HHH blus, I would say they look pretty lovely, possibly better than the prints shown for the retrospective.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#215 Post by swo17 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:56 pm

swo17 wrote:
And now that page only shows a giant 'X'. This is almost as disappointing as It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
I am pleased to report that this set is now both back in stock at JSDVD and in my grubby little hands. \:D/

shadedpain4

#216 Post by shadedpain4 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:33 pm

swo17 wrote:
swo17 wrote:
I am pleased to report that this set is now both back in stock at JSDVD and in my grubby little hands. \:D/
Does this set have English subtitles?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#217 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:37 pm

Yes. See this review earlier in the thread.

shadedpain4

#218 Post by shadedpain4 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:41 pm

swo17 wrote:Yes. See this review earlier in the thread.
Thank you. Now to see if I can navigate that website...

jguitar

#219 Post by jguitar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:55 am

I finally got around to visiting the JSDVD site to see about ordering the two Hou sets, but I was put off by the lack of encryption. Obviously, folks here have ordered from it -- do you all not worry about such things? I'm naturally very cautious about that stuff. In any case (and to contradict myself) I did go through (or try to) the order process. I set up an account and went through checkout. I chose credit card for my method of payment but didn't see a place to enter a number. When I clicked on continue (figuring that the number-entering stage was coming up) I got a message seeming to acknowledge my order. So now I'm just confused. Just curious what other people's experiences have been like.

Donald Brown

#220 Post by Donald Brown » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:57 am

You should be taken to TWV OpenPay to make payment, which is encrypted, and even has a virtual keyboard to enter your card number for extra protection.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#221 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:32 am

They even require you to type at least four of the digits on the virtual keyboard.

Not sure if it's because my item was backordered, but I had to pay through OpenPay twice- once for the item itself, and then again for shipping a few weeks later. Unfortunately, I had inadvertently added an extra copy of the set to my cart at that point, and due to the lack of English somehow missed that I was buying a second copy. At least I got a discount for combined shipping on the second copy once the shipping payment came around!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#222 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 am

Yes. One does pay separately for shipping abroad. I forgot to check the status -- so it was a few weeks before I realized I had to do this. (Didn't get any sort of reminder e-mail).

Donald Brown

#223 Post by Donald Brown » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:56 am

They usually send an email right away instructing you to pay for shipping. The system is an awkward one, but at least it isn't unsafe.

jguitar

#224 Post by jguitar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Great, thanks for the clarifications. I obviously wasn't paying close attention, so I'm sure I messed up somewhere along the way. I'll try again.

StevenJ0001

#225 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Any picture quality reports yet on the A Time to Live and a Time to Die Blu?