Martin Scorsese

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Randall Maysin Again

Re: Martin Scorsese

#476 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:25 pm

Me too! It's the film that made me fall in love with her talent. It's a wonderful and very memorable "ordinary person" performance. Lots of Scorsese films are well acted but Cape Fear's ensemble is to die for
Last edited by Randall Maysin Again on Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

pianocrash

#477 Post by pianocrash » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:29 am

felipe wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:47 am
Is it me or is the marketing push for the new film way bigger than for his last efforts? It's like these past few weeks I've seen Scorsese everywhere, from career retrospectives and best-of lists to interviews about Barbie and TikToks about sex slang. I don't recall a studio pushing his films as hard as this before.
Randall Maysin Again wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:48 am
Overrated Misses and Lacking in Lasting Value, but with lots of surface/incidental assets: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Taxi Driver

Roscoe

#478 Post by Roscoe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:35 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:16 pm
I always thought how the scene was done undermines the scenes that follow. Douglas’ refusal to press charges because she knows first hand that the system is rigged against rape victims rings pretty hollow after we just watched her get part of her face bitten off. If there’s one thing male police officers, judges, and juries would easily believe, it’s that a woman wouldn’t consent to having chunks of her face bitten off and her arm dislocated. That kind of obvious brutality transcends institutional sexism.
This. Very much. I found it hard to imagine that anyone who'd had a hole bitten in their face would decline to press charges. It was just too much.

Roscoe

#479 Post by Roscoe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:38 am

Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:16 am
Okay, maybe I can't really fault Scorsese morally for filming it the way he does, It just happens to greatly exceed my level of what I can tolerate when I'm enjoying a good relatively lightweight genre film, and I'm sure there were other filmmaking options, that could still be pretty horrifying, without being so sickeningly explicit.
Not to flog the dead horse, but Scorsese doesn't do "good relatively lightweight genre" anything ever.

Tom Amolad

#480 Post by Tom Amolad » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:16 am

Roscoe wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:38 am
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:16 am
Okay, maybe I can't really fault Scorsese morally for filming it the way he does, It just happens to greatly exceed my level of what I can tolerate when I'm enjoying a good relatively lightweight genre film, and I'm sure there were other filmmaking options, that could still be pretty horrifying, without being so sickeningly explicit.
Not to flog the dead horse, but Scorsese doesn't do "good relatively lightweight genre" anything ever.
It’s probably perverse of me, but that would be my exact description of Goodfellas. Go figure.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#481 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:01 pm

hearthesilence

#482 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:23 pm

I would've gone with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly instead of Birdman but otherwise, definitely with him on the choices.