Paul Mazursky

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
exte

#1 Post by exte » Thu May 12, 2005 1:01 am

Blume in Love (1973)
Harry and Tonto (1974)
An Unmarried Woman (1978)

Today I saw his name on a book with other 70's directors, and his was the only I didn't recognize. The book was published in the 70s, so perhaps he hasn't withstood the test of time. Can anyone comment on his films? Thanks.

Polybius

#2 Post by Polybius » Thu May 12, 2005 1:44 am

Those three are all rather good, although it's generally agreed that the unofficial lifetime achivement award the AMPAS gave to Art Carney for Harry and Tonto, stiffing Pacino for The Godfather, Part II, was a mistake.

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Thu May 12, 2005 1:54 am

I've always been curious about seeing "Alex in Wonderland," starring Donald Sutherland (with a cameo by Fellini, who later became a friend of Mazursky's). Anybody have comments on that film?

Dylan

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Thu May 12, 2005 3:26 am

Dylan, taped that film from TCM ages ago and once in a while I go back to it. It's quite good in that it's sort of a 8 1/2 hommage and a kind-hearted rip-off as well (kind of, anyway).

The setting is hippie's California in the late 60's and this is the story of a director (Sutherland) who has made a hit film and is now struggling to find both a producer and inspiration for his next one (ring a bell?). However, some of the imagery of the film is truly inspired and ultimately this is what saves the film. The acting is also very good in parts.

The film has a sort of ad-lib feel to it that fits the theme to a T and there are also some very good camera work on display. All in all, recommended and I can't wait for Warner to announce a DVD release.

As for other Mazursky, I truly enjoy Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, the film he made previous to Alex in Wonderland and which success probably led him to make the latter one. Bob (...) is a film about modern relationships - that is, if you were living in the late 60's - and one that even today rings true. So check it out as well, it's out on DVD.

Martha

#5 Post by Martha » Thu May 12, 2005 5:57 am

I think Tempest (1982) is a wonderful film, though it seems to be generally accepted that John Cassavetes (the star) sort of took over through force of personality. I'll leave the verdict on that to those who know more about their respective styles than I do and will just say that it's a legitimately interesting modernization of Shakespeare's work, and features great performances from Cassavetes, Raul Julia, and Molly Ringwald (I think it's her first film; she won several awards for it).

mingus

#6 Post by mingus » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:27 pm

I just finished listening to the audio-commentary on Richard Brooks' "Blackboard Jungle" on which Paul Mazursky takes part - and there he mentions that just before acting in that movie he had a role in Stanley Kubrick's "Fear and Desire".

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#7 Post by Faux Hulot » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Mazursky also directed a pretty lousy remake of Boudu Saved From Drowning called Down and Out in Beverly Hills, starring Nick Nolte, Bette Midler, Richard Dreyfuss, and Little Richard (!?).

Word on Tempest is that like many of his later acting jobs, Cassavetes did it for the money and was vaguely embarassed by the whole enterprise. Gossip notwithstanding, in some respects it's a decent Shakespeare adaptation and worth seeing if you're a Cassavetes fan.

Hrossa

#8 Post by Hrossa » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:31 pm

Faux Hulot wrote:Word on Tempest is that like many of his later acting jobs, Cassavetes did it for the money and was vaguely embarassed by the whole enterprise.
In Cassavetes on Cassavetes, Carney seems to imply that Cassavetes was actually inspired from his experience on the film as he put together Love Streams. If I can remember, though, I think Carney specifically refers to Cassavetes being inspired by Shakespeare's The Tempest as he made what he thought would be his last film, not so much Mazursky's. He also mentioned that Cassavetes attempted to recreate some of the feel of the wrap party for Tempest in the Love Streams scene when Sarah brings home all of the animals. Apparently the party had been on a boat with ponies and dogs frolicking about.

I just bought Tempest and am looking forward to watching it some time in the next week. I'll report back.

stroszeck

#9 Post by stroszeck » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:42 pm

There are lots of great movies by this man, who in my opinion, is the only other comedy director who can EVER be compared or mentioned in the same breath as Woody Allen. I especially want to know if there are ANY plans to release AN UNMARRIED WOMAN or ALEX IN WONDERLAND on DVD? CC maybe? I mean they released Bob & Carol which isn't HALF as interesting as either of those two masterpieces.

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:00 am

I finally went ahead and bought the Bob and Carol DVD and finished watching it last night with the audio commentary on. My God, what an embarrassing experience! This has to rank as the worst of the worse audio commentaries ever committed to DVD!

All they did was congratulate each other about how the shots were just so beautiful and how Natalie Wood looked so great; there were long and I mean long, stretches of time where nobody said anything; and just in some scenes where I was hoping that they would start dishing out their private lives and admit how the whole 60's sexual revolution failed, they would either burst into nervous giggling or say, "isn't that kid cute?" or "what a wild scene!". Embarrasing, I tell you!

I will never watch that movie again with the audio commentary on! It almost completely killed my enjoyment of it and please do yourselves a favour and ignore it the next time you watch it on DVD!

Dylan

#11 Post by Dylan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Over the last two weeks I saw the brilliant "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" and "Next Stop, Greenwich Village," both of which I completely loved, and now I really want to see "Alex in Wonderland."

Does anybody know what the aspect ratio of "Alex" is? I'm thinking of maybe getting the VHS, because it doesn't seem like a film MGM will be releasing anytime soon...but of course, if it's 2.35:1 I'm going to forget about it (however, DP Lazslo Kovacs wasn't shooting in 2.35 during this time, and {aside from maybe "Tempest"} it seems all available Mazursky films weren't shot that way either, so I kind of doubt it...however, I'm sure I'd still be missing a lot in pan/scan of 1.85, but what can you do?).

On the "Bob & Carol..." DVD extra with Mazursky they mention a "Tempest" DVD release, but I guess that hasn't materialized.

Lino

#12 Post by Lino » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:27 pm

Dylan wrote:Does anybody know what the aspect ratio of "Alex" is? I'm thinking of maybe getting the VHS, because it doesn't seem like a film MGM will be releasing anytime soon...
It's a Warner title now. And I believe it's 1.85. I have it taped from TCM and it's full frame but not a lot of information is lost. If you can catch it, give it a go -- it's right up your alley, Dylan!

stroszeck

#13 Post by stroszeck » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:30 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, BLUME IN LOVE is a terrific film and everyone interested in seeing it should go ahead and vote on it for the Warner's unreleased titles voting thing.

David Ehrenstein

#14 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:18 am

At the end of Love Streams Cassavetes repeats a benediction gesture he first performed in Tempest.

Mazursky is one of the most interesting firgures of the now-fabled 70's. In addition to Harry and Tonto his best works include Tempest, Blume in Love and Next Stop Grenwich Village.
Last edited by David Ehrenstein on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Ehrenstein

#15 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:22 am

Here's Paul

http://ehrensteinland.com/htmls/g002/ma ... ghter.html

And here's a piece that deals tangentially with poor Lenny Baker.

http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?optio ... ew&id=9572