Claude Chabrol

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DeprongMori

Re: Claude Chabrol

#151 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:27 pm

There doesn’t seem to be much discussion about it, but I just picked up Line of Demarcation (1966) in the latest KinoLorber sale and found it tremendously compelling. It’s set in a small French village during the Nazi occupation and takes a prismatic approach to the ways of dealing with this reality among the villagers.

Samm Deighan does an excellent commentary.

therewillbeblus

#152 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:21 pm

Huh, could've sworn we talked about it during the Chabrol list project, but apparently not. Agreed it's an interesting and good movie, but I don't think I've ever felt much motivation to say more. That's as good as any reason to revisit my copy!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#153 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:59 pm

One of the few films Chabrol made that reflected his own interest in films about armed resistance (not just the French Resistance, but clearly due to it)

Stefan Andersson

#154 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu May 30, 2024 4:29 pm

Tamasa Films in France has seemingly world rights for 14 Chabrol films:
Les biches, La femme infidèle, Le cri du hibou, La route de Corinthe, Que la bête meure, Le boucher, La rupture, Juste avant la nuit, La décade prodigieuse, Docteur Popaul, Les noces rouges, Nada, Une partie de plaisir et Les innocents aux mains sales

Sources:
https://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewto ... 5&start=15 - post by Jerome, May 30, 2024
https://www.lefilmfrancais.com/cinema/1 ... de-chabrol
https://ecran-total.fr/2024/05/16/tamas ... catalogue/

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#155 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 30, 2024 4:42 pm

Dear God, someone please release them all (well, they can do Popaul last...)

Aspect

#156 Post by Aspect » Thu May 30, 2024 10:09 pm

Yup, that list includes the ones from his golden period. It’s criminal that they haven’t had blu ray releases. I really hope someone (Criterion) got the US rights and remasters them properly.

I’ve still only seen them via the terrible Pathfinder DVDs. Despite how terrible the quality of that set was, it was the single best blind buy of my life. And it was from Best Buy! Those were the days. Probably twenty years ago now.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#157 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 30, 2024 10:21 pm

I hope Criterion does NOT have the rights, I want to see these released on good quality discs in my lifetime

I still have my huge Pathfinder box too!

andyli

#158 Post by andyli » Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:57 pm

A Spanish blu-ray of Le boucher was recently released. The cover makes no mention of who the licensor is, though.