The 1970s List: Discussion and Suggestions

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The 1970s List: Discussion and Suggestions

#26 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:52 pm

To vote, please PM me your Top 50 for the decade by Dec 17. I will then publish a list of orphans, and you will have the rest of the month to alter your list if you see fit. If you don't make the Dec 17 deadline, you can still submit your list during the last half of the month--you just won't benefit from having your orphans advertised. To verify that a film is eligible, you might check SNAPSЖOT to see if I've put it in the 1970s. If you don't find the film there you can still vote for it, but on the off chance that I deem it eligible for a different decade, I'll reach out to you about revising your list

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#27 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:37 am

For anyone that hasn't already seen it, the deadline for this project is currently being decided by this poll which runs through the weekend

knives

#28 Post by knives » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 am

With all the greatness I’ve seen lately I decided to check out an early film of Anthony Page, an adaptation of Not I, which truly and surely blew me away. I had previously seen Neil Jordan’s adaptation which is nice, but page in a simple and unfussy manner shows the emotion behind and before the words. The black and white cinematography is very powerful especially the way Whitelaw’s skin occasionally peaks through the paint as if the human is seeping into the picture. Whitelaw herself gives an incredible physical performance stretching her mouth about in all sorts of wild ways. When the spittle finally comes it seems to encompass her grin extending her mouth. I know that Beckett supervised this adaptation, but it’s clear that everyone involved provided a great deal to make this powerful cinema.
Last edited by knives on Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#29 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:02 am

What film are you talking about?

knives

#30 Post by knives » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:04 am

Sorry, that was supposed to be about Anthony Page’s Not I. I’ve edited the post to clarify that.

Red Screamer

#31 Post by Red Screamer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:56 am

Seconded, I love that adaptation. The play’s stark simplicity gains another dimension in cinema, both more abstract and more documentary.

therewillbeblus

#32 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:34 pm

I just wrote it up here, but can we add Flesh of the Orchid (Patrice Chéreau, 1975) to the master list? It's a fun deconstruction of noir that's both brutal and absurd in the best ways, much smarter than it lets on, but also fully respectable riding on its surface-level gratifications.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#33 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:47 pm

Yes

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#34 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:02 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:37 am
For anyone that hasn't already seen it, the deadline for this project is currently being decided by this poll which runs through the weekend
So given the results of the poll, this project will now run through the end of January. Round 1 could end halfway through on New Year's Eve, or should I have that end on, say, Jan 7 so it's not so close to a holiday?

knives

#35 Post by knives » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:02 pm

I like the idea of splitting it half, but 7th is definitely the most convenient.

TMDaines

#36 Post by TMDaines » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:16 pm

7th would be better.

knives

#37 Post by knives » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:52 pm

It’s hard for me to say exactly why I responded so well to Shinoda’s Demon Pond adaptation except to say it’s excited me to see a few more of his films in proximity. I’m only familiar with the play through Miike’s adaptation which places the perspective more on the pond’s queen. Shinoda instead takes us outside the play with the professor character making a feeling of watching someone else’s story like a more mild version of Double Suicide.

Less successful was a return to Marcel Hanoun with La nuit claire. I still haven’t seen enough Hanoun films to full throatedly make this declaration, but I am beginning to suspect he may be a bad director. He reminds me some of Godard without the humour, or Straub without the ability to make his visual punctuations meaningful with or without a text (which just now I felt bludgeoned with), or Kluge without the finesse of adding meaning to silly situations. This is easily the best thing I’ve seen from Hanoun, but even at its best I was just drifting off to other filmmakers who I like more.

It makes a tremendous amount of sense that Troell’s Hurricane was originally a Polanski film and I’m mildly curious what they version would have been, but Troell’s quietude and more distanced manner makes for a fascinating film. I really don’t understand its incredibly low reputation as all the arts are at the very least interesting. This is especially true of Jason Robards’ incestuous Ahab who’s such a fascinating character especially for the simmering approach to his madness. He’s off from the beginning, but in tiny ways that I wouldn’t necessarily associate with the actor.

knives

#38 Post by knives » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:12 am

Found the worst film of the decade with Arthur Hiller anemic The Man in the Glass Booth. If this is any indication Shaw must not have been as good a playwright as he was an actor. Of course the film itself isn’t helping the script. The direction is the television quality you’d expect from Hiller while the acting is terrible uniformly.

Schell in particular is so awful it’s beyond comprehension as he screams to the rafters making no effort at developing a coherent character. That brings things back to the script which is so poor that what little good will I tried to muster was consistently thrown away. The script is in this bifurcated mode and outside of the ravings of Schell it is so disconnected as to be confusing. These ideas and themes and characterizations are set up and then thrown out without cause. A predictable twist at the end of the film just makes the film look ridiculous in its desperate attempt at seriousness. All I’m left with is wondering what in the name of hell was everyone thinking with this mess?

A fair amount better is Resnais’ Providence which I enjoyed even if it felt like a lesser work. This uses a sort of non-story mode as characters change to suit the desire of the storyteller building up from a complex of relations rather than any exact narrative note. All of this is very exciting intellectually and surely I’ll be absorbed on that level by the film for quite some time. Though the film has something missing from it to prevent it from standing with Muriel or Marienbad. It’s rather indescribable too which I guess is appropriate for a film concerning the lack of voice our thoughts ultimately can have.

Genuinely great though was Daisy Miller. Bogdanovich has transformed the story into his most Hawksian screwball, even more than the actual Hawks remake, functioning as iconoclastic to our loves and hates of the past. Shepherd gives a miracle performance in this function speeding through dialogue ensuring a light and frothy confusion exposing the humanity of this seemingly sterile world.

knives

#39 Post by knives » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am

The Hospital was significantly better than the last Hiller I saw and I would even say that’s it’s far and away Chayefsky‘s best script. That is not to say that the film is good though. The script mostly sings, but there’s occasional moments of being lamed such as the stupid psych scene. Also, despite her best efforts Rigg’s whole character is awful with the film openly and heroically admitting to rape in as grotesque and unnecessary a way as possible.

The film looks dull and unrefined to the point I’m shocked Kemper lenses this. Hiller must have an amazing ability to take away the talent of all who come into his orbit.

Pretty much the only person left unscathed by this mess is George C Scott who gives it his all and utterly convinced me that some reality was being plumbed somewhere here.

(Also, others I’d appreciate your thoughts on whatever you have seen)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:10 pm

As a reminder, lists are due this Sunday

yoshimori

#41 Post by yoshimori » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 pm

My list, fwiw, has a lot of the usual (art film) suspects. But I thought I'd put in a final plug for some Japanese filmmakers: Akio Jissoji (whose Mandara and Faint Dream are in my top 10 and Poem, Utamaro, and Transient Life are not far behind), Yoshida Kiju (Coup d'état and Heroic Purgatory), and Hara Kazuo (Sayonara CP).

Cheering also for some underdogs: Klimov's Rasputin (Agonia), Perry's Play It As It Lays, and Zabriskie Point.

Not sure whether anyone's seen Pennebaker's Eat the Document, but I highly recommend it if you can find it.

senseabove

#42 Post by senseabove » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:45 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:10 pm
And that's that, or followed by an orphan rescue round and final lists due end of the month? Sorry, not sure I've kept completely up with polls/results/changes/etc.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#43 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:51 pm

There's an orphan rescue round for the rest of the month, but your orphans won't be advertised unless you submit a list this week

knives

#44 Post by knives » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:05 pm

yoshimori wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 pm

Cheering also for some underdogs: Klimov's Rasputin (Agonia), Perry's Play It As It Lays, and Zabriskie Point.
Another hurrah for Agony which might just be Klimov’s best.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:33 am

swo17 wrote:
Is this end of day Sunday? Trying to plan out some last minute viewings

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#46 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:27 pm

Yes, I'll post orphans Monday morning

ryannichols7

#47 Post by ryannichols7 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:08 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:33 am
swo17 wrote:
Is this end of day Sunday? Trying to plan out some last minute viewings
my 3am list submission tonight will be one for the books

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 pm

Les seins de glace (Georges Lautner 1974)
As is tradition, I saw a list-worthy title almost immediately after submitting my list. Since I doubt anyone voted for this one anyways, I will preemptively assume it is an orphan and will eventually include it in my final list regardless of whether I convince anyone to add it between now and then.

I've somehow seen quite a few Lautner films, many also starring Mirielle Darc as this one does, and while I've enjoyed some to varying degrees, this is far and away the best of the 15 (?!) Lautners I've seen. I actually am stunned Kino Lorber even bothered to release it, because unlike a lot of their other Alain Delon licenses, it's actually a great movie (and based on the Letterboxd reviews, the label's core blind buying audience is as stupid as you'd expect). But despite Delon and Darc top-lining, this is really Claude Brasseur's movie and he gives us an immensely likable protagonist in his soap opera writer who pursues the flighty Darc as though they were in a screwball comedy, even though she is heavily guarded and multiple forces seem to be keeping them apart. What is happening and why is one of the great joys of the film, as this goes on the very short list of movies where for most of the running time I had no idea what the fuck was going to happen next. The film, based on Richard Matheson's novel Someone is Bleeding (a great title, better than the French pun we get instead), builds tension and intrigue and immense respect for the audience by defying conventions and upending expected narrative beats, all while Brasseur putters through the noir plot like he's somehow going to come out on top. About halfway through the film we see that Brasseur sleeps in a Snoopy-adorned Peanuts sheet set and a small detail like that goes a long way towards explaining how peculiar and unexpected this film is in its choices. Highly recommended.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#49 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:59 pm

I've liked other Lautners so I'll have to check this out.

You are also welcome to submit a revised list tonight

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#50 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:49 pm

ROUND 2: ORPHAN RESCUE

Thanks everyone for your participation so far! Below I will present some preliminary results from voting. If anything you see here prompts you to defend your picks, to watch some more films, and/or to revise your list in any way, go ahead and do that, by the end of the month. If you did not submit a list yet and have since decided that you do want to participate, go ahead and do that, by the end of the month. If you have no interest in revisiting your list or changing anything, go ahead and do nothing. I will count all lists submitted so far including any changes or new lists submitted in the final tally.

Orphans (by director)

(Note: The number listed after each film is its ranking on the sole list it appeared on.)

مسافر [Mosāfer] [The Traveler] (Abbas Kiarostami, 1974) 32

曼陀羅 [Mandara] [Mandala] (Akio Jissōji , 1971) 4
哥 [Uta] [Poem] (Akio Jissōji , 1972) 17
あさき夢みし [Asaki yumemishi] [It Was a Faint Dream] (Akio Jissōji , 1974) 5
歌麿 夢と知りせば [Utamaro yume to shiriseba] [Utamaro's World] (Akio Jissōji , 1977) 23

Klute (Alan J. Pakula, 1971) 18
La montaña sagrada [The Holy Mountain] (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973) 31
Одинокий голос человека [Odinokiy golos cheloveka] [The Lonely Voice of Man] (Aleksandr Sokurov, 1978) 5
Der starke Ferdinand [Strongman Ferdinand] (Alexander Kluge, 1976) 48
Family Plot (Alfred Hitchcock, 1976) 50
La Dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil [The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun] (Anatole Litvak, 1970) 25

Ziemia obiecana [The Promised Land] (Andrzej Wajda, 1975) 25
Bez znieczulenia [Without Anesthesia] (Andrzej Wajda, 1978) 47
Człowiek z marmuru [Man of Marble] (Andrzej Wajda, 1977) 45

They Might Be Giants (Anthony Harvey, 1971) 20
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (Anthony Page, 1977) 33
La cabina [The Phone Box] (Antonio Mercero, 1972) 29
11 Harrowhouse (Aram Avakian, 1974) 39
Jeremy (Arthur Barron, 1973) 23

The Hospital (Arthur Hiller, 1971) 17
The In-Laws (Arthur Hiller, 1979) 45

Night Moves (Arthur Penn, 1975) 18
Selvi Boylum, Al Yazmalım [The Girl with the Red Scarf] (Atıf Yılmaz, 1978) 45
Wanda (Barbara Loden, 1970) 50
Across 110th Street (Barry Shear, 1972) 37
Ultimo tango a Parigi [Le Dernier Tango à Paris] [Last Tango in Paris] (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1972) 49
Le Juge et l'Assassin [The Judge and the Assassin] (Bertrand Tavernier, 1976) 49
Stop! (Bill Gunn, 1970) 42

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Billy Wilder, 1970) 2
Avanti! (Billy Wilder, 1972) 45

Thriller – en grym film [Thriller: A Cruel Picture] (Bo Arne Vibenius, 1973) 32

Mannen på taket [Man on the Roof] (Bo Widerberg, 1976) 39
Joe Hill (Bo Widerberg, 1971) 19

Black Christmas (Bob Clark, 1974) 33
Eat the Document (Bob Dylan, 1972) 26
Cabaret (Bob Fosse, 1972) 14
The King of Marvin Gardens (Bob Rafelson, 1972) 42

Hi, Mom! (Brian De Palma, 1970) 6
The Fury (Brian De Palma, 1978) 46

Valse triste (Bruce Conner, 1977) 20
A Intrusa [The Intruder] (Carlos Hugo Christensen, 1979) 21

Je, tu, il, elle [I, You, He, She] (Chantal Akerman, 1976) 26
Les Rendez-vous d'Anna [The Meetings of Anna] (Chantal Akerman, 1978) 17

Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett, 1977) 44
ทองพูน โคกโพ ราษฎรเต็มขั้น [Thongpoon kokpo ratsadorn tem khan] [Taxi Driver (Citizen I)] (Chatrichalerm Yukol, 1977) 16
Бариерата [Barierata] [The Barrier] (Christo Christov, 1979) 18

La Rupture [The Breach] (Claude Chabrol, 1970) 42
Les Innocents aux mains sales [Innocents with Dirty Hands] (Claude Chabrol, 1975) 47
Violette Nozière (Claude Chabrol, 1978) 37

Les Choses de la vie [The Things of Life] (Claude Lelouch, 1970) 50
Le Chat et la Souris [Cat and Mouse] (Claude Lelouch, 1975) 41

Les Choses de la vie [The Things of Life] (Claude Sautet, 1970) 35

High Plains Drifter (Clint Eastwood, 1973) 42
The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood, 1976) 29
The Gauntlet (Clint Eastwood, 1977) 22

Thundercrack! (Curt McDowell, 1975) 39
L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo [The Bird with the Crystal Plumage] (Dario Argento, 1970) 48
The Silent Partner (Daryl Duke, 1978) 18
The Last Movie (Dennis Hopper, 1971) 47

Demon Seed (Donald Cammell, 1977) 26
Performance (Donald Cammell & Nicolas Roeg, 1970) 12

Sitting Target (Douglas Hickox, 1972) 39
Theatre of Blood (Douglas Hickox, 1973) 46

Агония [Agoniya] (Elem Klimov, 1975) 3
Die Marquise von O... [La Marquise d'O...] (Éric Rohmer, 1976) 29
Serene Velocity (Ernie Gehr, 1970) 10
C'eravamo tanto amati [We All Loved Each Other So Much] (Ettore Scola, 1974) 38

Roma (Federico Fellini, 1972) 14
Casanova (Federico Fellini, 1976) 11

Milano calibro 9 [Caliber 9] (Fernando Di Leo, 1972) 38
Cadaveri eccellenti [Illustrious Corpses] (Francesco Rosi, 1976) 38

L'Enfant sauvage [The Wild Child] (François Truffaut, 1970) 29
L'Homme qui aimait les femmes [The Man Who Loved Women] (François Truffaut, 1977) 37

Play It As It Lays (Frank Perry, 1972) 9
Patton (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1970) 45

Adelheid (František Vláčil, 1970) 43
Stíny horkého léta [Shadows of a Hot Summer] (František Vláčil, 1978) 32

Juvenile Court (Frederick Wiseman, 1973) 46
Canal Zone (Frederick Wiseman, 1977) 31

The Cheyenne Social Club (Gene Kelly, 1970) 44
Pumping Iron (George Butler & Robert Fiore, 1977) 31
Wild Night in El Reno (George Kuchar, 1977) 16
Slap Shot (George Roy Hill, 1977) 33
Les Seins de glace [Someone Is Bleeding] (Georges Lautner, 1974) 49
Осенний марафон [Osenniy marafon] [Autumn Marathon] (Georgi Danelia, 1979) 43
ಘಟಶ್ರಾದ್ಧ [Ghatashraaddha] [The Ritual] (Girish Kasaravalli, 1977) 16
കുമ്മാട്ടി [Kummatty] [The Bogeyman] (Govindan Aravindan, 1979) 20
Hukkunud Alpinisti hotell [Dead Mountaineer's Hotel] (Grigori Kromanov, 1979) 50
Newsprint (Guy Sherwin, 1972) 15

Shampoo (Hal Ashby, 1975) 34
Coming Home (Hal Ashby, 1978) 17

Daughters of Darkness (Harry Kümel, 1971) 41
ルパン三世 カリオストロの城 [Rupan sansei kariosutoro no shiro] [Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro] (Hayao Miyazaki, 1979) 46
La Patagonia rebelde [Rebellion in Patagonia] (Héctor Olivera, 1974) 20
I... comme Icare [I... for Icarus] (Henri Verneuil, 1979) 29

Play It Again, Sam (Herbert Ross, 1972) 39
The Goodbye Girl (Herbert Ross, 1977) 41

Poetic Justice (Hollis Frampton, 1972) 38
Matrix [First Dream] (Hollis Frampton, 1979) 31

Arrebato [Rapture] (Iván Zulueta, 1979) 49
Race with the Devil (Jack Starrett, 1975) 43
La Paysagiste [Mindscape] (Jacques Drouin, 1976) 21

Out 1 (Jacques Rivette, 1971) 32
Duelle (une quarantaine) [Twilight (A Quarantine)] (Jacques Rivette, 1976) 40

One Way Boogie Woogie (James Benning, 1978) 24
The Last Valley (James Clavell, 1971) 17

Kostnice [The Ossuary] (Jan Švankmajer, 1970) 16
Žvahlav aneb šatičky slaměného Huberta [Jabberwocky] (Jan Švankmajer, 1971) 13

Une sale histoire [A Dirty Story] (Jean Eustache, 1977) 35
Le Petit Théâtre de Jean Renoir [The Little Theatre of Jean Renoir] (Jean Renoir, 1970) 49
Les Chinois à Paris [Chinese in Paris] (Jean Yanne, 1974) 48

Six fois deux, sur et sous la communication [Six Times Two: Over and Under Communication] (Jean-Luc Godard & Anne-Marie Miéville, 1976) 2
Tout va bien [Everything's Going Fine] (Jean-Luc Godard & Jean-Pierre Gorin [Groupe Dziga Vertov], 1972) 19

Dalla nube alla resistenza [From the Clouds to the Resistance] (Jean-Marie Straub & Danièle Huillet, 1979) 25
Muna moto [The Child of Another] (Jean-Pierre Dikongué-Pipa, 1975) 46
Un flic [Dirty Money] (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1972) 42
Hester Street (Joan Micklin Silver, 1975) 38
Veredas [Paths] (João César Monteiro, 1978) 22
Saturday Night Fever (John Badham, 1977) 30
Exorcist II: The Heretic (John Boorman, 1977) 34
Inserts (John Byrum, 1975) 24
Assault on Precinct 13 (John Carpenter, 1976) 5

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (John Cassavetes, 1976) 28
Opening Night (John Cassavetes, 1977) 29

Fat City (John Huston, 1972) 27
Wise Blood (John Huston, 1979) 36

Animal House (John Landis, 1978) 11

Sunday Bloody Sunday (John Schlesinger, 1971) 8
Marathon Man (John Schlesinger, 1976) 32

Multiple Maniacs (John Waters, 1970) 15
Desperate Living (John Waters, 1977) 48

Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania (Jonas Mekas, 1972) 4
The Assassination of Trotsky (Joseph Losey, 1972) 15
Ucho [The Ear] (Karel Kachyňa, 1970) 10
Who'll Stop the Rain? (Karel Reisz, 1978) 4
さようならCP [Sayōnara CP] [Goodbye CP] (Kazuo Hara, 1972) 7
サンダカン八番娼館 望郷 [Sandakan hachibanshōkan bōkyō] [Brothel No. 8] (Kei Kumai, 1974) 24
Family Life (Ken Loach, 1971) 37

The Devils (Ken Russell, 1971) 9
The Boy Friend (Ken Russell, 1971) 15

بس يابحر [Bas ya bahar] [The Cruel Sea] (Khaled Al Siddiq, 1972) 37
Невестка [Nevestka] [Gelin] [The Daughter-in-Law] (Khodzha Kuli Narliyev, 1972) 9
煉獄エロイカ [Rengoku eroica] [Heroic Purgatory] (Kijū Yoshida, 1970) 49
軍旗はためく下に [Gunki hatameku moto ni] [Under the Flag of the Rising Sun] (Kinji Fukasaku, 1972) 8
Долгие проводы [Dolgie provody] [The Long Farewell] (Kira Muratova, 1971) 48
Lisice [Handcuffs] (Krsto Papić, 1970) 50

Bone (Larry Cohen, 1972) 26
God Told Me To (Larry Cohen, 1976) 47

The Signalman (Lawrence Gordon Clark, 1976) 4
A Warning to the Curious (Lawrence Gordon Clark, 1972) 49

Pixillation (Lillian F. Schwartz, 1970) 38
Mimì metallurgico ferito nell'onore [The Seduction of Mimi] (Lina Wertmüller, 1972) 30
The Railway Children (Lionel Jeffries, 1970) 13

Lacombe, Lucien (Louis Malle, 1974) 27
Le Souffle au cœur [Murmur of the Heart] (Louis Malle, 1971) 45

Morte a Venezia [Death in Venice] (Luchino Visconti, 1971) 18
Ludwig (Luchino Visconti, 1973) 31

Reconstituirea (Reconstruction) (Lucian Pintilie, 1970) 25
Le Fantôme de la liberté [The Phantom of Liberty] (Luis Buñuel, 1974) 40
दुविधा [Duvidha] (Mani Kaul, 1973) 28
Benilde ou a Virgem Mãe [Benilde or the Virgin Mother] (Manoel de Oliveira, 1975) 46
Nel nome del padre [In the Name of the Father] (Marco Bellocchio, 1972) 33
La Dernière Femme [L'ultima donna] [The Last Woman] (Marco Ferreri, 1976) 28
Lisa e il diavolo [Lisa and the Devil] (Mario Bava, 1973) 37
Un borghese piccolo piccolo [An Average Little Man] (Mario Monicelli, 1977) 8
Tatlong Taóng Walang Diyos [Three Years Without God] (Mario O'Hara, 1976) 23
The Scenic Route (Mark Rappaport, 1978) 43

The Front (Martin Ritt, 1976) 37
Norma Rae (Martin Ritt, 1979) 44

New York, New York (Martin Scorsese, 1977) 26
The Last Waltz (Martin Scorsese, 1978) 44

La Maison des bois [The House in the Woods] (Maurice Pialat, 1971) 8
Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble [We Won't Grow Old Together] (Maurice Pialat, 1972) 12

Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks, 1974) 43
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Mel Stuart, 1971) 35
Козият рог [Koziyat rog] [The Goat Horn] (Metodi Andonov, 1972) 45
The Candidate (Michael Ritchie, 1972) 9
Rameau's Nephew' by Diderot (Thanx to Dennis Young) by Wilma Schoen (Michael Snow, 1974) 12
Woodstock (Michael Wadleigh, 1970) 34

Get Carter (Mike Hodges, 1971) 25
The Terminal Man (Mike Hodges, 1974) 33

Még kér a nép [Red Psalm] (Miklós Jancsó, 1972) 33
Szerelmem, Elektra [Elektra, My Love] (Miklós Jancsó, 1974) 48

Hair (Miloš Forman, 1979) 15
跑道終點 [Pao dao zhong dian] [The End of the Track] (Mou Tun-fei, 1970) 24
ハウス [Hausu] [House] (Nobuhiko Ōbayashi, 1977) 1

Fiddler on the Roof (Norman Jewison, 1971) 24
Jesus Christ Superstar (Norman Jewison, 1973) 36

Synchromy (Norman McLaren, 1971) 47

Filming 'Othello' (Orson Welles, 1979) 29
The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles, 1976/2018) 29

Five on the Black Hand Side (Oscar Williams, 1973) 35

იყო შაშვი მგალობელი [Iko shashvi mgalobeli] [There Once Was a Singing Blackbird] (Otar Iosseliani, 1970) 14
პასტორალი [Pastorali] [Pastorale] (Otar Iosseliani, 1975) 28

Xala (Ousmane Sembène, 1975) 29
Blume in Love (Paul Mazursky, 1973) 10
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (Paul Newman, 1972) 38
Soldaat van Oranje [Soldier of Orange] (Paul Verhoeven, 1977) 28

Vampir-Cuadecuc (Pere Portabella, 1971) 39
Informe general sobre algunas cuestiones de interés para una proyección pública [General Report on Certain Matters of Interest for a Public Screening] (Pere Portabella, 1977) 42

Daisy Miller (Peter Bogdanovich, 1974) 30
Hearts and Minds (Peter Davis, 1974) 26
A Walk Through H: The Reincarnation of an Ornithologist (Peter Greenaway, 1978) 24
Punishment Park (Peter Watkins, 1971) 22
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Peter Yates, 1973) 25

Il fiore delle mille e una notte [Arabian Nights] (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1974) 50
Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma [Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom] (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1975) 36

Adieu poulet [The French Detective] (Pierre Granier-Deferre, 1975) 18

Mutter Küsters Fahrt zum Himmel [Mother Küsters Goes to Heaven] (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1975) 46
Händler der vier Jahreszeiten [The Merchant of Four Seasons] (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1971) 46
Faustrecht der Freiheit [Fox and His Friends] (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1975) 20
Despair (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1978) 34

Grease (Randal Kleiser, 1978) 36
Colloque de chiens [Dog's Dialogue] (Raúl Ruiz, 1977) 45
Moi, Pierre Rivière, ayant égorgé ma mère, ma soeur et mon frère... [I, Pierre Rivière, Having Killed My Mother, My Sister and My Brother...] (René Allio, 1976) 41
Chinois, encore un effort pour être révolutionnaires [Peking Duck Soup] (René Vienet, 1977) 16
Superman (Richard Donner, 1978) 42
Full Circle [The Haunting of Julia] (Richard Loncraine, 1977) 43
Heartland (Richard Pearce, 1979) 22

Ulzana's Raid (Robert Aldrich, 1972) 23
Twilight's Last Gleaming (Robert Aldrich, 1977) 22

Images (Robert Altman, 1972) 24
Thieves Like Us (Robert Altman, 1974) 12

Le Diable probablement [The Devil, Probably] (Robert Bresson, 1977) 50
Enter the Dragon [龍爭虎鬥] [Long zheng hu dou] (Robert Clouse, 1973) 47
Ice (Robert Kramer, 1970) 48
L'età di Cosimo de Medici [The Age of the Medici] (Roberto Rossellini, 1972) 34
If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do? (Ron Ormond, 1971) 50
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah, 1974) 47
অরণ্যের দিনরাত্রি [Aranyer Din Ratri] [Days and Nights in the Forest] (Satyajit Ray, 1970) 9
悲愁物語 [Hishū monogatari] [A Tale of Sorrow and Sadness] (Seijun Suzuki, 1977) 25
Giù la testa [A Fistful of Dynamite] [Duck, You Sucker!] (Sergio Leone, 1971) 20
Osânda [The Punishment] (Sergiu Nicolaescu, 1976) 40

にっぽん戦後史 マダムおんぼろの生活 [Nippon sengoshi madamu onboro no seikatsu] [History of Postwar Japan as Told by a Bar Hostess] (Shōhei Imamura, 1970) 37
復讐するは我にあり [Fukushū suru wa ware ni ari] [Vengeance is Mine] (Shōhei Imamura, 1979) 8

अंकुर [Ankur] [The Seedling] (Shyam Benegal, 1974) 31
कोन्दुरा [Kondura] [అనుగ్రహం] [Anugraham] [The Sage from the Sea] (Shyam Benegal, 1978) 33

Murder on the Orient Express (Sidney Lumet, 1974) 35
طبیعت بی‌جان [Tabiate bijan] [Still Life] (Sohrab Shahid Saless, 1974) 26
А зори здесь тихие [A zori zdes tikhie] [The Dawns Here Are Quiet] (Stanislav Rostotsky, 1972) 42
Terminal Island (Stephanie Rothman, 1973) 49

The Sugarland Express (Steven Spielberg, 1974) 47
1941 (Steven Spielberg, 1979) 40

The Yakuza (Sydney Pollack, 1974) 6
Three Days of the Condor (Sydney Pollack, 1975) 39

再見中國 [Zai jian zhong guo] [China Behind] (Tang Shu Shuen, 1974) 11
Wake in Fright (Ted Kotcheff, 1971) 24
Go Tell the Spartans (Ted Post, 1978) 43
ნატვრის ხე [Natvris khe] [The Wishing Tree] (Tengiz Abuladze, 1977) 35
المخدوعون [Al-makhdu'un] [The Dupes] (Tewfik Saleh, 1972) 3
Οι κυνηγοί [Oi kynigoi] [The Hunters] (Theo Angelopoulos, 1977) 26

Il deserto dei Tartari [The Desert of the Tartars] (Valerio Zurlini, 1976) 19
La prima notte di quiete [Indian Summer] (Valerio Zurlini, 1972) 44

Hollywood Babylon (Van Guylder, 1971) 50
Der Fangschuß [Le Coup de grâce] (Volker Schlöndorff, 1976) 48
The Driver (Walter Hill, 1978) 24

Fata Morgana (Werner Herzog, 1971) 40
Die große Ekstase des Bildschnitzers Steiner [The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner] (Werner Herzog, 1975) 10
Herz aus Glas [Heart of Glass] (Werner Herzog, 1976) 45

Sleeper (Woody Allen, 1973) 33
苦惱人的笑 [Ku nao ren de xiao] [Troubled Laughter] (Yang Yanjin & Deng Yimin, 1979) 14
レイプ25時暴姦 [Reipu ni-jū go-ji bōkan] [Rape! 13th Hour] (Yasuharu Hasebe, 1977) 48
醉拳 [Jui kuen] [Drunken Master] (Yuen Woo-ping, 1978) 31
Сказка сказок [Skazka skazok] [Tale of Tales] (Yuri Norstein, 1979) 30
Visions of Eight (Yuri Ozerov, Mai Zetterling, Arthur Penn, Michael Pfleghar, Kon Ichikawa, Miloš Forman, Claude Lelouch & John Schlesinger, 1973) 46
Film About a Woman Who... (Yvonne Rainer, 1974) 44

Nowa książka [New Book] (Zbigniew Rybczyński, 1975) 23
Oj! Nie mogę się zatrzymać! [Oh, I Can't Stop!] (Zbigniew Rybczyński, 1975) 48

Az ötödik pecsét [The Fifth Seal] (Zoltán Fábri, 1976) 46

New Votes

The following films received no votes during the last round of the lists project but currently have two or more votes. Perhaps they were not on your radar before...

The Jerk (Carl Reiner, 1979)
Girlfriends (Claudia Weill, 1978)
In the Shadow of the Sun (Derek Jarman, 1974/81)
La classe operaia va in paradiso [The Working Class Goes to Heaven] (Elio Petri, 1971)
Gates of Heaven (Errol Morris, 1978)
The Day of the Jackal (Fred Zinnemann, 1973)
The Sting (George Roy Hill, 1973)
The Last Detail (Hal Ashby, 1973)
Peau d'âne [Donkey Skin] (Jacques Demy, 1970)
11 x 14 (James Benning, 1977)
Puzzle of a Downfall Child (Jerry Schatzberg, 1970)
Colossus: The Forbin Project (Joseph Sargent, 1970)
Panna a netvor [Beauty and the Beast] (Juraj Herz, 1978)
Örökbefogadás [Adoption] (Márta Mészáros, 1975)
West Indies ou les Nègres marrons de la liberté [The Fugitive Slaves of Liberty] (Med Hondo, 1979)
Coma (Michael Crichton, 1978)
L'Ours et la Poupée [The Bear and the Doll] (Michel Deville, 1970)
L'Apprenti salaud [The Apprentice Heel] (Michel Deville, 1977)
An Unmarried Woman (Paul Mazursky, 1978)
Hardcore (Paul Schrader, 1979)
Il Decameron [The Decameron] (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1971)
Warnung vor einer heiligen Nutte [Beware of a Holy Whore] (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1971)
Acht Stunden sind kein Tag [Eight Hours Don't Make a Day] (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1972)
सत्यम शिवम सुंदरम [Satyam Shivam Sundaram] [Love Sublime] (Raj Kapoor, 1978)
Woyzeck (Werner Herzog, 1979)
Sorcerer (William Friedkin, 1977)