Criterion and IFC

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: Criterion and IFC

#751 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:04 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Here's the review for the disc already out in the UK. The deleted scenes total a whopping 46 minutes.
I have the AE blu and I forgot about that extra. I'm a little surprised at the treatment they're giving the release. I hope the sales on this turn out well enough to help Strickland's next project.

bdsweeney

#752 Post by bdsweeney » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:33 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Here's the review for the disc already out in the UK. The deleted scenes total a whopping 46 minutes.
Tempting as a blind buy as I can't see this ever getting an Australian release.

ianungstad

#753 Post by ianungstad » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Deadline reports that AMC Networks (Parent company of IFC Films) is in early talks to acquire Starz. Worth a mention; since that would include Anchor Bay.

gorgeousnothings

#754 Post by gorgeousnothings » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:45 pm

ianungstad wrote:Deadline reports that AMC Networks (Parent company of IFC Films) is in early talks to acquire Starz. Worth a mention; since that would include Anchor Bay.
I was going to make a joke about Criterion releasing Lords of Salem but then I remembered that Anchor Bay might have rights to Halloween. Would this actually bring about some sort of deal between Criterion and Anchor Bay/Starz? I'm unsure how these things work.

ianungstad

#755 Post by ianungstad » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:25 pm

IFC has bought North American rights to Personal Shopper, the new Olivier Assayas film that's currently shooting in Paris.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#757 Post by Omensetter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:24 am

Probably not, since they passed on the better-received Police, Adjective. Plus, they're presumably still sitting on Beyond the Hills, in preparation of the fourth anniversary of its premiere or to pair it with the surely-by-now 21st canon 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days or who knows.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#758 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:02 am

The fact that Police, Adjective came out on DVD through Kimstim/Zeitgeist rather than MPI leads me to think it was subject to a previously existing deal and was off-limits to Criterion. It was released well after IFC and Criterion began their relationship, but IFC acquired it about a month before the Criterion deal was announced, so they may have already worked out an arrangement with Kimstim for that particular title. That's just speculation on my part, though.

ianungstad

#759 Post by ianungstad » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:02 am

I'm inclined to think that Criterion won't release it but IFC picked up the documentary Weiner at Sundance which won the grand jury prize in the documentary category. Pretty strong reviews overall.

Ribs

#760 Post by Ribs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:55 am

I don't see why they wouldn't release it necessarily - has IFC films had any high-profile documentary releases in the past? A google seems to suggest nothing especially notable.

Unrelatedly I see on their website that IFC acquired Dheepan - that's surely a future release, I can't see Criterion turning down a Palme d'Or winner.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#761 Post by Brian C » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:16 pm

IFC has had some Herzog docs that didn't get Criterion releases - Into the Abyss and Cave of Forgotten Dreams off the top of my head. They also had Wenders's Pin, which did get Criterionized.

RSTooley

#762 Post by RSTooley » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:52 am

Sundance Selects acquired Mia Hansen-Løve's Things to Come at the Berlin Film Festival. The film won the 'best director' prize, so it'd be nice to see it included in the collection.

Fingers crossed that this project get the Criterion treatment along with Dheepan, Tale of Tales, 45 Years, Beyond the Hills, and (the already confirmed) 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days.

ianungstad

#763 Post by ianungstad » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:07 pm

All of Mia Hansen-Love's films have been well received and Criterion already passed on 2 of them. She's been getting the best reviews of her career for Things to Come..,so maybe.

Susanne Bier's The Night Manager miniseries has been getting raves out of Berlin. Not sure if that's potentially on the table. We got Carlos but Top of the Lake ended up being released by Warner Brothers.

ianungstad

#764 Post by ianungstad » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:24 pm

IFC has acquired the rights to Kelly Reichardt's Certain Women. The film stars Michelle Williams, Kristen Stewart and Laura Dern. Played very well at Sundance (to the critics). I took at look at RT and it has a 100% score with an average rating of 8.5/10

I would assume it's pretty safe to speculate that this will be Criterion bound.

FrauBlucher

#766 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:06 pm

They didn't waste any time.

ianungstad

#767 Post by ianungstad » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:11 pm

IFC already had the rights to Personal Shopper (Olivier Assayas) and today announced it has picked up the rights to the following Cannes competition tiles: Unknown Girl (Dardennes Brothers) Graduation (Cristian Mungiu) and From the Land of the Moon (Nicole Garcia)

ianungstad

#768 Post by ianungstad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:40 am

IFC will be handling theatrical and presumably home video for Complete Unknown (Joshua Marston) on behalf of Amazon Studios. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a thing and they can wrangle some of those other tempting films Amazon has at Cannes. (or even Weiner Dog from Sundance would be nice) Amazon seems to be working with everyone and not exclusively with one theatrical distributor.

ianungstad

#769 Post by ianungstad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:48 pm

That was quick.

Amazon Studios is partnering with IFC Films to release Todd Solondz's Weiner Dog which made it's debut at Sundance.

RSTooley

#770 Post by RSTooley » Sun May 22, 2016 2:28 pm

I don't think that it has been mentioned that Ken Loach's I, Daniel Blake (this year's Palme d'Or winner at Cannes) was sold to Sundance Selects a few days ago.

Given the high number of films Sundance Selects took from the 'In Competition' lineup at Cannes this year (five), it'll be interesting to see how many of them make their way into the Criterion Collection. I'd say the Loach, Mungiu, Assayas, and Dardenne brothers' films are all locks to join the collection.

FrauBlucher

#771 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:07 pm

RSTooley

#772 Post by RSTooley » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Criterion must have passed on Tale of Tales. Shout Factory will be handling a Blu-ray release of the film.

ianungstad

#773 Post by ianungstad » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Shout signed a deal with IFC to exclusively distribute genre pics under the "IFC Midnight" banner, so Tale of Tales wasn't going to happen.

Phantom page for Kelly Reichardt alludes to Criterion releasing Certain Women.

IFC has also distributed two titles on behalf of Amazon. The poorly reviewed Complete Unknown is getting a standard dvd/blu release via Universal...but Weiner Dog has some weird DVD-R/BD-R release directly from Amazon. Smells like a placeholder until an eventual Criterion. Hopefully they do another Q+A like they did for Life During Wartime.

Brady Corbet's directorial debut Childhood of a Leader also has no dvd/blu solicited from anyone...might be worth keeping an eye on that title.

RSTooley

#774 Post by RSTooley » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:46 pm

I would put money on Weiner-Dog never joining the collection, but we have seen worse films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#775 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:48 pm

I only just now realized Tale of Tales and Arabian Nights were two different projects